Flo Hoops (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Flo Hoops (merged thread)

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
This doesn't include the games broadcasted by SNY, right?

Reaction Score
I got Flosports yesterday and decided to test it out. Watched parts of several Big East games. Most were easy BE wins except Providence vs Yale. I found most very well done. The big exception was the Seton Hall game which was not watchable. Terrible video - looked like it was recorded on a 1900 flip card viewer. Too bad as I was interested to see their team. Biggest game for me was the DePaul game. Wow do they ever have a very good new Freshman (#24). She had over 20 points halfway through the 2nd quarter. #21 hit 3 straight 3s. (yes I was too lazy to go to their website and look up names :) )

Reaction Score
Yeah the only point in getting this is for those one or two games in ten days. Everything else is on a national network or SNY.
Correct. And for those 2 days, November 20-22, you'll pay $30. The $12.50/mo. charge comes only with a 1-year subscription. There's a lesser charge for UConn students and faculty with e-mail addresses to prove eligibility.
Is it worth $30 to watch the Huskies play the preliminary games (championship is on national TV)? You'll have to decide.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I got Flosports yesterday and decided to test it out. Watched parts of several Big East games. Most were easy BE wins except Providence vs Yale. I found most very well done. The big exception was the Seton Hall game which was not watchable. Terrible video - looked like it was recorded on a 1900 flip card viewer. Too bad as I was interested to see their team. Biggest game for me was the DePaul game. Wow do they ever have a very good new Freshman (#24). She had over 20 points halfway through the 2nd quarter. #21 hit 3 straight 3s. (yes I was too lazy to go to their website and look up names :) )
Pretty sure all streaming sports providers DO NOT produce their content, rather they pick up the video feed from broadcast productions. Some streaming providers are of course also broadcast producers, like the ESPN stations. ESPN3 doesn't self produce most of its content but picks up other producers like the SEC network.

Like with the failure of the streaming of first night ... that was on the Uconn producers and not the streaming service, I suspect Seton Hall was the culprit in that product.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Click on this link for info regarding discounted Flo-Hoops

"Subscribers using a UConn email address (uconn.edu) will have access to a $6.99 monthly plan ($5.83 when selecting an annual subscription). Subscribers who do NOT have a UConn email address will still earn discounted pricing at $12.50 per month ($7.99 when selecting an annual subscription)"

Does anyone have a uconn.edu email address I can borrow? :cool:

Reaction Score
Correct. And for those 2 days, November 20-22, you'll pay $30. The $12.50/mo. charge comes only with a 1-year subscription. There's a lesser charge for UConn students and faculty with e-mail addresses to prove eligibility.
Is it worth $30 to watch the Huskies play the preliminary games (championship is on national TV)? You'll have to decide.
Not true.

From the website:

Subscribers who do NOT have a UConn email address will still earn discounted pricing at $12.50 per month ($7.99 when selecting an annual subscription)

This is true if you sign up using the link provided on the website. If you DON'T use that link, then the $29.99 number applies ($12.50 with an annual subscription).

Reaction Score
Yeah the only point in getting this is for those one or two games in ten days. Everything else is on a national network or SNY.

Not sure but Stanford is playing Maryland on the 27th in Nassau and that may be a floHoops game. Then there is the likely game between SCar and Oregon at Atlantis.
Flohoops has the contract for a lot of those holiday tournaments and this year there are several good games. A bargain for $13.

Reaction Score
Not sure but Stanford is playing Maryland on the 27th in Nassau and that may be a floHoops game. Then there is the likely game between SCar and Oregon at Atlantis.
Flohoops has the contract for a lot of those holiday tournaments and this year there are several good games. A bargain for $13.
One of the cheapest pay-per-view deals you will find. And after your month is over, just cancel.

And the Stanford/Maryland game is part of the Baha Mar Hoops Pink Flamingo Championship from 11/25 - 11/27 and is available.

Reaction Score
actually I'll cancel tomorrow but the month subscription will work till expiration.
True. You can cancel anytime, and your subscription will expire at the end of your paid period.

A word to the wise, if anyone is thinking of signing up for an annual subscription to get the annual discount and then cancelling at the end of the first month, don't. They're on to that. You won't get a refund.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure all streaming sports providers DO NOT produce their content, rather they pick up the video feed from broadcast productions. Some streaming providers are of course also broadcast producers, like the ESPN stations. ESPN3 doesn't self produce most of its content but picks up other producers like the SEC network.

Like with the failure of the streaming of first night ... that was on the Uconn producers and not the streaming service, I suspect Seton Hall was the culprit in that product.
I'm pretty sure you're right about the source of the video. I'm watching the Princeton/Villanova game now, and the same issues with the UConn/Fort Hays game are happening here as well; replays inserted over live action, zoom happy camera operator, baseline camera much too close, etc. That said, the video quality is excellent and the announcers seem to know about which they speak.

Reaction Score
Not true.

From the website:

Subscribers who do NOT have a UConn email address will still earn discounted pricing at $12.50 per month ($7.99 when selecting an annual subscription)

This is true if you sign up using the link provided on the website. If you DON'T use that link, then the $29.99 number applies ($12.50 with an annual subscription).
It is with great hesitancy that I have to spend any more time on this, but here goes: $12.50 is NOT a discount price having anything to do with a UConn e-mail address. Everyone gets that price who pays for a year's subscription. The "discount price" is the special offer for those who HAVE a UConn e-mail. Only students and faculty of the school get a "discount price."
I pray this ends here. If not, count me out.

Reaction Score
It is with great hesitancy that I have to spend any more time on this, but here goes: $12.50 is NOT a discount price having anything to do with a UConn e-mail address. Everyone gets that price who pays for a year's subscription. The "discount price" is the special offer for those who HAVE a UConn e-mail. Only students and faculty of the school get a "discount price."
I pray this ends here. If not, count me out.
You are correct that the $12.50 price has nothing to do with having a UConn email address. But it has everything to do with signing up through the UConn website. So, OK, count you out. Everyone else can take this or leave it.

The fact remains that if you don't have a UConn email address, you can still get a substantial discount if you sign up with FloHoops by going through the link provided by UConn's website. Want to know how I know this? Keep in mind I don't have a UConn email address.

I went to the FloHoops website without going through the UConn website. I was offered a monthly rate of $29.99, or an annual deal that would work out to $12.50 per month if I paid the annual fee up front (which is what you have to do, with no refunds for unused service like early cancellation). OK, left their website.

Went to the UConn website, used their link to get to FloHoops' website, and guess what? The monthly rate I was offered was $12.50, not $29.99. And, if I want to upgrade to the yearly plan, it will cost me only $7.99 per month.

If I had a UConn email address, my monthy rate would be $6.99 per month or $5.83 with an annual subscription.

I paid $12.50 with my credit card, and actually watched a game tonight. After today, I have 29 days of FloHoops viewing left. I'll watch the Bahamas games, and then I'll watch the Pink Flamingo games with Stanford and Maryland. And then, bye-bye FloHoops until next time.

Full disclosure from the UConn website:

HOW TO RECEIVE A DISCOUNTED SUBSCRIPTION:
To subscribe to FloSports and receive a discounted rate, click the following school-specific link
: Big East ON FloSports

Subscribers using a UConn email address (uconn.edu) will have access to a $6.99 monthly plan ($5.83 when selecting an annual subscription)

**If you do NOT use the link provided above when subscribing to FloSports, the subscription will cost $29.99 monthly ($12.50 when selecting an annual subscription)

Reaction Score
You are correct that the $12.50 price has nothing to do with having a UConn email address. But it has everything to do with signing up through the UConn website. So, OK, count you out. Everyone else can take this or leave it.

The fact remains that if you don't have a UConn email address, you can still get a substantial discount if you sign up with FloHoops by going through the link provided by UConn's website. Want to know how I know this? Keep in mind I don't have a UConn email address.

I went to the FloHoops website without going through the UConn website. I was offered a monthly rate of $29.99, or an annual deal that would work out to $12.50 per month if I paid the annual fee up front (which is what you have to do, with no refunds for unused service like early cancellation). OK, left their website.

Went to the UConn website, used their link to get to FloHoops' website, and guess what? The monthly rate I was offered was $12.50, not $29.99. And, if I want to upgrade to the yearly plan, it will cost me only $7.99 per month.

If I had a UConn email address, my monthy rate would be $6.99 per month or $5.83 with an annual subscription.

I paid $12.50 with my credit card, and actually watched a game tonight. After today, I have 29 days of FloHoops viewing left. I'll watch the Bahamas games, and then I'll watch the Pink Flamingo games with Stanford and Maryland. And then, bye-bye FloHoops until next time.

To subscribe to FloSports and receive a discounted rate, click the following school-specific link

Subscribers using a UConn email address (uconn.edu) will have access to a $6.99 monthly plan ($5.83 when selecting an annual subscription)

**If you do NOT use the link provided above when subscribing to FloSports, the subscription will cost $29.99 monthly ($12.50 when selecting an annual subscription)
DJB, thanks for being persistent. I assumed that to join FloSports you'd have to go to their website. What I wrote was based on my experience there. I had no idea that there was another way to approach a subscription, but, thanks to you, now I do. I followed you and have the same $12.50 one-month deal as you, which means I owe you $17.50 (plus tax?). Please find enclosed my check for $17.50.
Oh, wait, I don't have your mailing address. Maybe next time . . .

Reaction Score
DJB, thanks for being persistent. I assumed that to join FloSports you'd have to go to their website. What I wrote was based on my experience there. I had no idea that there was another way to approach a subscription, but, thanks to you, now I do. I followed you and have the same $12.50 one-month deal as you, which means I owe you $17.50 (plus tax?). Please find enclosed my check for $17.50.
Oh, wait, I don't have your mailing address. Maybe next time . . .
You're very welcome. Glad to help. The key was the link through UConn.
And I'll lift a couple of glasses and give you credit for them. :)
Best.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Hey @Tonyc here is the information on Flohoops so you can watch this weekend!

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Not correct, check the post above. If you sign in the Big East on Flohoops, it is $12.50 per month, not on annual basis. Check it out. Not bad $12.50 to watch 2 games.

Reaction Score
Not correct, check the post above. If you sign in the Big East on Flohoops, it is $12.50 per month, not on annual basis. Check it out. Not bad $12.50 to watch 2 games.
Technically 4 games
2 Husky games (Minnesota on 11/20 and Syracuse or USF on 11/21) PLUS whatever the other 2 are (S.Carolina, Oregon and whatever)
so it actually works out to about $3.13 a game.
Worth every penny if the broadcast quality is decent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom