Fixing Your Shot Over The Summer | The Boneyard

Fixing Your Shot Over The Summer

Reaction Score
That was supposed to be Jackson right? The reports that streamed in were that he basically lived in the gum and took a thousand shots a day. What happened? He passes on just about all the 3 point opportunity he had in the first 2 games. Summertime cures. That said Jackson is valuable to the team on the boards and passing of course and hopefully defense.

Reaction Score
He only has 1 rep this year, but I didn't see much of a difference. Might've fixed his hand position a bit, but he still has super weird mechanics throughout his entire body. Fixing your shot is a multi-year process for people that begin as okay shooters. Jackson is abysmal. It will take many years for him to become a shooter, if at all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
happy hour cocktail GIF by evite

Reaction Score
He was in the gym taking 1000 shots a day all summer, yeah. I don't think anyone other than those with the most rose colored glasses on suggested he fixed his shot in one summer.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Shooters are born, not made. It takes years for guys with ugly shots to get to a point where they can take them without thinking about it.

Reaction Score
This makes me feel much less hopeful that he’ll progress over the next two years to a reasonable level of shooting proficiency. He may be confined to his current skill set which could still help the team. Hoping that he and the coaching staff keep at it with him though.

Reaction Score
With the teams we have played so far, he probably realizes he can drive by his man pretty easily or make a good pass down low instead of shooting. We probably won’t know until we play someone decent that really forces him to shoot and cuts off his other options. I don’t want him shooting 3’s every time He’s somewhat open on the perimeter right now especially with Sanogo getting such great position. With that said, he is a little too unselfish and should shoot a couple

Reaction Score
With the teams we have played so far, he probably realizes he can drive by his man pretty easily or make a good pass down low instead of shooting. We probably won’t know until we play someone decent that really forces him to shoot and cuts off his other options. I don’t want him shooting 3’s every time He’s somewhat open on the perimeter right now especially with Sanogo getting such great position. With that said, he is a little too unselfish and should shoot a couple

That would be true if he had been able to score at will so far. He hasn't. He looks severely offensively limited outside of his passing still. His skillset is still really unique and hard to scout for between his passing, defense, and athleticism... he just isn't going to be scoring the 10+ ppg he needed to be an all big east caliber kind of player.

Reaction Score
I have to admit I am losing patience with AJ. He refuses to shoot from the outside, gambles too much with his passing and is not a good on ball defender. These are all things he struggled with last season as well. On the plus side he is very disruptive at the point on the 1-2-2 full court press, is a good rebounder and gets the defensive rebound and goes which I like very much. He desperately needs a good offensive game though I believe.

Reaction Score
Don't exactly know why or how, but when Beilein coached West Virginia, he had maybe top 200 recruits , not very athletic, who at practice and at the gum(deliberate misspelling meaning the improved from practice shooting stuck like gum) shot 3 pointers, like hundreds or more each time.

Guess what? They became proficient 3 point shooters in the games they played during their time at West Virginia.

Were they already sharpshooters? I don't think so. Lots of his players fitted that profile.

Then again, everybody has his or her skillset. Some can sing, others can dance, some can listen to singers and dancers and that's it.

Maybe, he's not wired as a shooter. Hope he will keep trying, and the light will go on as it did for Edison's lightbulb.

Reaction Score
His shot doesn’t look natural.

I agree, not everyone is a natural shooter. Some players can really improve, but not all. Yet is free throw stroke is very good. This is a bit of a head scratcher.

I could never understand why Amida could not develop the jump hook or get his footwork done. Yet, Adama can use either hand. It’s not easy and its a skill.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have to admit I am losing patience with AJ. He refuses to shoot from the outside, gambles too much with his passing and is not a good on ball defender. These are all things he struggled with last season as well. On the plus side he is very disruptive at the point on the 1-2-2 full court press, is a good rebounder and gets the defensive rebound and goes which I like very much. He desperately needs a good offensive game though I believe.

There's a reason why we are fans and DH is million dollar coach coaching at the highest levels. If I were the coach, I'd put him on the end of the bench first time he passes up a good look from 3.

First game he had a great look in the corner, hesitated, collected himself and made a great pass to one of the bigs (I think it was Sanogo) for an uncontested dunk. For 99% of basketball players, that's a great play. For Jackson against a cupcake it's more important for him to take 3's in the flow of a game than to make the bonus pass for a dunk. We know he has that skill.

He almost needs to be forced in to shooting. Don't let him go inside the 3 point line in practice or against LIU. BOOMER ALERT (Even though I'm not old enough to be a Boomer)- Similar to when coaches would tie a players hand behind his back to force him to use left hand or stuff like that. He needs more than coddling to learn he needs to be treated as a threat by the defense from the outside.

And disagree he isn't a good on the ball defender. He's at least capable there and has shown the skills to improve to get better at that part of his game.

Reaction Score
There's a reason why we are fans and DH is million dollar coach coaching at the highest levels. If I were the coach, I'd put him on the end of the bench first time he passes up a good look from 3.

First game he had a great look in the corner, hesitated, collected himself and made a great pass to one of the bigs (I think it was Sanogo) for an uncontested dunk. For 99% of basketball players, that's a great play. For Jackson against a cupcake it's more important for him to take 3's in the flow of a game than to make the bonus pass for a dunk. We know he has that skill.

He almost needs to be forced in to shooting. Don't let him go inside the 3 point line in practice or against LIU. BOOMER ALERT (Even though I'm not old enough to be a Boomer)- Similar to when coaches would tie a players hand behind his back to force him to use left hand or stuff like that. He needs more than coddling to learn he needs to be treated as a threat by the defense from the outside.

And disagree he isn't a good on the ball defender. He's at least capable there and has shown the skills to improve to get better at that part of his game.
I agree with most of what you said, I coached and my 13 year old grandson thinks he's pretty good but has no left hand. I have tried to have him put his right hand behind his back but he does not stick with it. I put him through what I thought was a pretty easy workout. He said it was the toughest practice ever. He said his temmates would quit if I did that to them.
Getting back to AJ, I disagree about his on ball defense. In the 2 games so far i bet there have been 5 times when his man drives past him. He tends to be too upright and relies on his athleticism and wing span too much. Now DH knows more alot more than I ever dreampt of knowing and I have all the faith in the world in him.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you said, I coached and my 13 year old grandson thinks he's pretty good but has no left hand. I have tried to have him put his right hand behind his back but he does not stick with it. I put him through what I thought was a pretty easy workout. He said it was the toughest practice ever. He said his temmates would quit if I did that to them.

Most kids are unwilling to be uncomfortable in practice to get better in games. Even more are unwilling to practice purposefully outside of AAU and their HS season. It is RARE I coached a kid that would really practice outside of scheduled practice times. Fooling around on the court doesn't count, but a lot of kids think they're getting better that way.

Look at the CIAC teams. Really, most of these kids aren't anything special athletically. A kid that can dribble with both hands and his head up, shoot the rock from a standstill, and has the cardio to defend for the whole game has all-conference potential if he's above 5'9". Problem is 99% of kids are unwilling to put in that work.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Getting back to AJ, I disagree about his on ball defense. In the 2 games so far i bet there have been 5 times when his man drives past him. He tends to be too upright and relies on his athleticism and wing span too much. Now DH knows more alot more than I ever dreampt of knowing and I have all the faith in the world in him.
Send him to an inner city park and let him get embarrassed verbally and skillfully by better defenders who force him left or they steal the ball from him. It worked for me.

Reaction Score
Shooting in the gym is different then shooting in a game. Big difference. He is not confident, yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom