Fixing the roof ! | The Boneyard

Fixing the roof !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Accepting that regular funding from tax dollars isn't happening immediately doesn't make the Gampel ceiling any less ugly or embarrassing.

Does any BYer recall the estimate for proper repair ?
If an accurate estimate is available, what are the chances that a private funding campaign could succeed ?

Thoughts ?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Accepting that regular funding from tax dollars isn't happening immediately doesn't make the Gampel ceiling any less ugly or embarrassing.

Does any BYer recall the estimate for proper repair ?
If an accurate estimate is available, what are the chances that a private funding campaign could succeed ?

Thoughts ?

Fundraiser: For $250, adopt a tile. When the tiles are fixed, the $250 gets your name (or in memory of a lost loved one) on the tile you PD to repair. Write the name in reflective or glow in the dark ink, so the name only shows when a spot light hits a tile, or (for glow in the dark) when the top lights are dimmed.

I'll buy the first tile.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
12 Million I think, I recall posting a link a few months back about the delay due to budget cuts

Reaction Score
It is really pretty embarrassing that a school like UConn, dubbed "the college basketball capitol of the world", has to play in a building that looks this bad.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
No way would I give money to fix Gampel. I would donate to a new arena though.

Reaction Score
The roof's pretty bad, but then again Gampel is still one of the better college basketball arenas around--centrally located for students on foot and good access and parking for cars. It rarely sells out, so it's not like it's too small, and, given the difficult financial straits that all public and almost all private universities find themselves in today, a new arena is an impossible luxury. If UConn did suddenly get an extra $10M, more likely it would go to undergraduate financial aid, support for undergraduate research, and/or increased excellence in the STEM fields.

Reaction Score
The roof's pretty bad, but then again Gampel is still one of the better college basketball arenas around--centrally located for students on foot and good access and parking for cars. It rarely sells out, so it's not like it's too small, and, given the difficult financial straits that all public and almost all private universities find themselves in today, a new arena is an impossible luxury. If UConn did suddenly get an extra $10M, more likely it would go to undergraduate financial aid, support for undergraduate research, and/or increased excellence in the STEM fields.

What other schools that annually have a Top 3 women's basketball team and a Top 20 men's basketball team have arenas worse than UConn?

Reaction Score
No way would I give money to fix Gampel. I would donate to a new arena though.
I too would prefer a new arena. The open question is what would a new arena cost?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
March 30, 2016
The project will start promptly after graduation ceremonies – held in Gampel – in May and must be done by early October when the basketball season starts.

"If we run into a problem, we will end up taking measures in terms of double shifting," Cruickshank said. "Whatever we have to do to get it done because this is not one that we can be late on."

Sigh.

73063586.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
It's sad. With the money that the Ladies and Men basketball team bring in, they can't get the ceiling fixed? Husky Nation, if you start a fund to get the ceiling fixed, I will donate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom