OT---fix a flat | The Boneyard

OT---fix a flat

Reaction Score
Just wondering if anybody has used this and if it actually works. Would be for a small compact tire on my boat trailer. Thanks.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I use it on a snow blower tire that’s slightly off the rim every couple of storms. I wouldn’t recommend given your stakes.

Reaction Score
Take it to a garage and have them patch it or plug it. Fix a flat is a complete waste of money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Whats the status of the tire? If its a slow leak, it might hold up. But its not designed to truly fix a flat tire. It will get you to a garage in a pinch.
Take it to a garage and have them patch it or plug it. Fix a flat is a complete waste of money.
Fix a flat works great to get you to the garage. They hate it, though.
This. It’s not that expensive to have the garage pop the tire off and patch it from the inside. When a tire goes wrong, it can go very wrong, so not a place to cut corners.

The purpose of fix a flat is to get your tire strong enough to hold air or slow leak air enough to get it to a tire place to get tire patched correctly or replaced. and it works well for that function for most cars, truck and SUV's.

For a boat trailer?? I'd go the route of spending $80-$100 and just buy a spare tire and mount it to the trailer. And I'd say the same for any type of trailer you are hooking up to your vehicle to potentially weighs more than your vehicle or has valuables.

Reaction Score
The purpose of fix a flat is to get your tire strong enough to hold air or slow leak air enough to get it to a tire place to get tire patched correctly or replaced. and it works well for that function for most cars, truck and SUV's.

For a boat trailer?? I'd go the route of spending $80-$100 and just buy a spare tire and mount it to the trailer. And I'd say the same for any type of trailer you are hooking up to your vehicle to potentially weighs more than your vehicle or has valuables.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I read the OP as asking a recommendation about using it as a permanent fix.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've used Fix-a-Flat many times over the year. I whole heartedly recommend keeping a can of this your car. It is much, much easier that putting on a donut. It does need to be a small leak. If it gash and or a large hole, it won't correct the problem. As noted above, it isn't intended to be a repair but I've used it through the end of the life of the tire more than once and yeah mechanics hate it. I'm not sure I'd rely on it for trailer unless it was hauling kayaks or something equivalently light. It is handy to have in a pinch though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I read the OP as asking a recommendation about using it as a permanent fix.

He didn't really specify from what I read. I almost read it as should he carry it in case of a flat. Regardless of his intent, I would never recommend it as a permanant fix on a passenger car. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a boat trailer. I live near the water where I can easily see a hundred boats being trailered on the roads on any given weekend. Have seen way to many trucks and SUV's on side of the road where a blown tires or seized wheel messes up the vehicle towing the trailer as much as it does the trailer or the boat.

Reaction Score
Use this stuff. You can build a boat with it!

Images Repair GIF by getflexseal

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I've used Fix-a-Flat many times over the year. I whole heartedly recommend keeping a can of this your car. It is much, much easier that putting on a donut. It does need to be a small leak. If it gash and or a large hole, it won't correct the problem. As noted above, it isn't intended to be a repair but I've used it through the end of the life of the tire more than once and yeah mechanics hate it. I'm not sure I'd rely on it for trailer unless it was hauling kayaks or something equivalently light. It is handy to have in a pinch though.
wrong product. 'slime' is ur real friend.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Whatever you do... make sure your trailer tires are inflated to max pressure listed on sidewall... this is required to avoid heat build up and blow out.. unlike vehicle tires, trailer tires should always be inflated to the max pressure in order to meet weight carrying specs

Reaction Score
You can call AAA, and wait for an hour, you can get out of your car and put the spare donut tire on, or you can pump some fix a flat and get home if your close enough.

I hate, HATE, having to get a spare tire out, plus depending on where your at, it might be dangerous. I've use fix a flat on a tire that lost a lot of pressure, and I drove for some time before I found a service station to add some more air.

The good thing is that you can find cans of fix a flat at a CVS or Walgreens and those are everywhere unless you're on some remote highway. Nice to have a $15 small can in the trunk, just my 2 cents.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and don't even think aboot buying a china bomb replacement, or slapping on a manhole cover. driving on the rims is way safer.

and, oh, it's talladega week. fire up the rv, and head on out!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You can call AAA, and wait for an hour, you can get out of your car and put the spare donut tire on, or you can pump some fix a flat and get home if your close enough.

I hate, HATE, having to get a spare tire out, plus depending on where your at, it might be dangerous. I've use fix a flat on a tire that lost a lot of pressure, and I drove for some time before I found a service station to add some more air.

The good thing is that you can find cans of fix a flat at a CVS or Walgreens and those are everywhere unless you're on some remote highway. Nice to have a $15 small can in the trunk, just my 2 cents.
wait, whut? u don't have a mini-compressor (roughly 10''x4''x8'', +/- $25) stored in ur ride for those low pressure events? turrible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom