Five Returning NBA Draft Prospects to Watch in 2023 (Jordan Hawkins) | The Boneyard

Five Returning NBA Draft Prospects to Watch in 2023 (Jordan Hawkins)

Reaction Score
Although Hawkins’ playing time was sporadic this season, the glimpses he offered were pretty interesting: he’s an above-average athlete and explosive leaper, has length and a frame that can fill out, and has flashed a diverse offensive skill set that’s still expanding in all facets. He’s not enormous for a wing and needs to keep adding strength—he converted just 37% of his 58 two-point attempts this season and has to finish better—but he’s a capable three-point shooter, and there’s pretty palpable upside here. His dunks and flashes of skill pop on film.

Hawkins was a four-star recruit out of powerhouse DeMatha Catholic, so while he was somewhat under the radar entering college, there’s national pedigree here. UConn will turn over most of its backcourt minutes, leaving plenty of room for Hawkins to inherit responsibility. He will have to be more efficient, it’s unclear if he can make plays for teammates, and there’s polish needed here on all facets. But the presumable spike in volume coupled with his estimable talent as a scorer makes him a person of clear interest moving forward. Hawkins turned 20 shortly after his freshman year ended, so he’s older for his class, but this may just be a case where the lack of major minutes masked what was under the surface. Go back and watch his 16-point effort in 16 minutes against Auburn from November, and you’ll get the picture.

Reaction Score
Might be preseason POY next year. Then again, Adama could be too
I'm probably forgetting a couple guys but it's likely either Kaluma, Sanogo, Justin Lewis, or Justin Moore (if he's healthy..big IF though)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That dunk against Georgetown was one of the biggest highlights of the season. Really felt like he was coming into his own and ready to have a big post season prior to the concussion.

If his ball handing improves, I wouldn't be shocked if he makes an all Big Easy team or honorable mention.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hawkins is getting stronger and working on his ball handling. Saw a major leap from his early defense (atrocious) to above average. Let's see him lock guys down with some more muscle on his frame. The scoring will come.

I expect Sanogo to go into the draft as well. If Newton breaks out at this level, he will too.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is getting stronger and working on his ball handling. Saw a major leap from his early defense (atrocious) to above average. Let's see him lock guys down with some more muscle on his frame. The scoring will come.

I expect Sanogo to go into the draft as well. If Newton breaks out at this level, he will too.
If his handling can improve to be above average he'll probably be the best player on the court, like Bouknight was in 99% of games. His shooting stroke is so pure, he just needs to be able to reliably take guys on the dribble and the entire court will open up for him.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If his handling can improve to be above average he'll probably be the best player on the court, like Bouknight was in 99% of games. His shooting stroke is so pure, he just needs to be able to reliably take guys on the dribble and the entire court will open up for him.
Literally this. I’m so excited to see what he can do as our main scoring option. Not only did he flash the scoring ability but he seemed to make pretty good decisions passing the ball too. There were a couple of games where he had drives for dump off finishes to our bigs that were few and far between during the season.

Tyrese was great for us last year, but I feel like Hawkins game is much more smooth, fluid, and can be a better playmaker for us on the wing. It’s kind of like going from Cody Martin to Bouknight for the hornets.

Reaction Score
Ball handling is an obvious area to work on, but he also has to get physically stronger.

There were too many sequences last year when he looked like a boy among men.

I imagine he's working on both, and the upside is very high.

Reaction Score
Even Hawk is saying he's seeing the returns on spending time in the weight room/SnC.. Tighten the handle and let the game come to him.. Sky's the limit. Showtime

Reaction Score
Literally this. I’m so excited to see what he can do as our main scoring option. Not only did he flash the scoring ability but he seemed to make pretty good decisions passing the ball too. There were a couple of games where he had drives for dump off finishes to our bigs that were few and far between during the season.

Tyrese was great for us last year, but I feel like Hawkins game is much more smooth, fluid, and can be a better playmaker for us on the wing. It’s kind of like going from Cody Martin to Bouknight for the hornets.
Yeah and it's not a slight to Martin's game to think that a more polished Hawkins will be able to do things that Martin never could. Martin was a great player, but Hawkins is potentially lottery pick level talent for a reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom