Five questions as the UConn women head into the Big East women’s basketball tournament | The Boneyard

Five questions as the UConn women head into the Big East women’s basketball tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Welcome to the postseason, UConn fans. The next time the No. 1 Huskies are back in action, they’ll be playing at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville with the Big East women’s basketball tournament crown on the line.

As the No. 1 seed, UConn has a first-round bye and will start postseason play against the winner of Friday’s St. John’s-Xavier matchup in Saturday’s Big East tournament quarterfinals (noon ET, FS1) . With a victory, the Huskies would face the winner of the DePaul-Villanova in Sunday’s semifinals (3 p.m. ET, FS1).

On the other side of the bracket, Seton Hall and Marquette appear most likely to duke it out for a spot in the Big East tournament championship game on Monday (8 p.m. ET, FS1). As UConn shifts its focus to tournament play, here’s what you need to know about the Big East bracket and some questions about the Huskies and their potential opponents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the tournament may yield some surprises, for the first time in years. Noting, for example, how " tough " Butler played UCONN for most of that game and that they had a big win a few days later.

I think the surprises will take place in the preliminary rounds. I would be shocked if UCONN v Marquette is not the championship match-up.

But teams, all over the country, seem to be improving, as captured by the number of upsets. The Big Dance should be more balanced than ever. And more fun to watch.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When are the Conference awards announced?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think the tournament may yield some surprises, for the first time in years. Noting, for example, how " tough " Butler played UCONN for most of that game and that they had a big win a few days later.

I think the surprises will take place in the preliminary rounds. I would be shocked if UCONN v Marquette is not the championship match-up.

But teams, all over the country, seem to be improving, as captured by the number of upsets. The Big Dance should be more balanced than ever. And more fun to watch.
The Texas governor just lifted all COVID-19 restrictions. The state is wide open for all business. It's back to business as usual. That means they’ll be selling tickets to all tournament games. Come one, come all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Texas governor just lifted all COVID-19 restrictions. The state is wide open for all business. It's back to business as usual. That means they’ll be selling tickets to all tournament games. Come one, come all.

I don't think it does. My daughter is volunteering for the tournament. She said the are still at 17%.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't think it does. My daughter is volunteering for the tournament. She said the are still at 17%.
Per their website, the capacity of the Alamodome for basketball is 20,662. It is expandable to 70,000. Right now it may be at 17%. I'm wondering if they can keep the percentage at 17% and cut a profit. I would be surprised if that number is not increased before the start of the tournament to increase the revenue and ensure a profit. We'll see. I'm betting on that number moving upward. In business: It's ALWAYS about the money!! ;)

1614871434713.png

They could raise the percentage to 50% to 35,000 and consider that number to be relatively safe and acceptable.
They have a safety plan in effect. But if the mask mandate is no longer in place and will not be required, how safe can it be? You know there will be some brave souls that will "poke the bear", and throw caution to the wind. :confused: Not only will they attend, they will go maskless.

I would not go. I'll wait until next year. I'm content watching the games from the safety and comfort my living room recliner.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agree. I would like to point out that Georgetown has made remarkable improvement as well. Butler and Georgetown have both done great coming towards the end of the season. They should both only be better next year!

Glad to see this.

Reaction Score
Per their website, the capacity of the Alamodome for basketball is 20,662. It is expandable to 70,000. Right now it may be at 17%. I'm wondering if they can keep the percentage at 17% and cut a profit. I would be surprised if that number is not increased before the start of the tournament to increase the revenue and ensure a profit. We'll see. I'm betting on that number moving upward. In business: It's ALWAYS about the money!! ;)

View attachment 65223

They could raise the percentage to 50% to 35,000 and consider that number to be relatively safe and acceptable.
They have a safety plan in effect. But if the mask mandate is no longer in place and will not be required, how safe can it be? You know there will be some brave souls that will "poke the bear", and throw caution to the wind. :confused:

I would not go. I'll wait until next year. I'm content watching the games from the safety and comfort my living room recliner.
It may be all about the money but if they open it up for all to attend and there's outbreaks of the virus among the teams I can only imagine the havoc that would cause and the recriminations that would rain down on the NCAA for opening it up any more than it already is.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It may be all about the money but if they open it up for all to attend and there's outbreaks of the virus among the teams I can only imagine the havoc that would cause and the recriminations that would rain down on the NCAA for opening it up any more than it already is.
I agree. Don’t shoot the messenger. I’m with you. I’m just reporting that the governor has moved the goal posts. Everyone that buys a ticket knows the inherent risk in doing so. The risk factor is is something the NCAA will have to take into consideration when and if they do decide to increase ticket sales. Risk vs reward. No doubt their civil attorneys will urge them to remain cautious and resist the urge to reach deep(er) into the cookie jar.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think the relaxing of covid restrictions by TX will actually change much as the NCAA has authority over how the tournament plays out and what restrictions are imposed on participants and attendance. Personally, the idea of 64 teams ignoring all covid protocols for three weeks scares the heck out of me and it would not surprise me if some tournament teams were forced into lockdown if that occurred. The NCAA would also likely be liable to the athletes if they threw out protocols and athletes then got infected.

Reaction Score
I don't think the relaxing of covid restrictions by TX will actually change much as the NCAA has authority over how the tournament plays out and what restrictions are imposed on participants and attendance. Personally, the idea of 64 teams ignoring all covid protocols for three weeks scares the heck out of me and it would not surprise me if some tournament teams were forced into lockdown if that occurred. The NCAA would also likely be liable to the athletes if they threw out protocols and athletes then got infected.
I agree and if the NCAA went along with ignoring the protocols there would be some teams that just wouldn't go. Especially teams with little or no chance of advancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom