Five most disappointing teams of 2014-2015 | The Boneyard

Five most disappointing teams of 2014-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup, we're on there.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/05/19/florida-michigan-texas-most-disappointing

Connecticut Huskies

Record: 20-15 (10-8 Big East)
Postseason: Reached NIT, lost in first round to
Arizona State

After UConn won the national championship behind star guard Kemba Walker in 2011, the Huskies began their 2012 campaign with head coach Jim Calhoun suspended for three games for recruiting violations. They went on to finish 20-14 (8-10 Big East) and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to
Iowa State. But at least they got a ticket to the Big Dance. After winning it all in 2014 behind star guard Shabazz Napier, UConn returned with sober but realistic expectations to compete for an AAC crown and possibly make a run in the NCAA tournament. No one was expecting a repeat championship, but no one was expecting the Huskies to lose in the first round of the NIT either. UConn went from 39th in offensive efficiency and 10th in defensive efficiency in 2013-14 to 107th and 65th, respectively, in 2014-15. Senior guard Ryan Boatright struggled with his health throughout the season, and players like freshman wing Daniel Hamilton and sophomore guard Rodney Purvis didn’t develop into the efficient contributors they were expected to be.

Reaction Score
At least we weren't in the AAC last season. I've been all upset for nothing.

Funny, I'm telling you, nationwide, nobody even realizes we aren't Big East or P5. It doesn't hit them that UCONN is in the American because it's so odd and unexpected.

Reaction Score

Funny, I'm telling you, nationwide, nobody even realizes we aren't Big East or P5. It doesn't hit them that UCONN is in the American because it's so odd and unexpected.
I didn't even catch that. Too funny! Let's see how long it is before he corrects it.

Reaction Score
"Senior guard Ryan Boatright struggled with his health throughout the season, and players like freshman wing Daniel Hamilton and sophomore guard Rodney Purvis didn’t develop into the efficient contributors they were expected to be."

I'm failing to see when this was a thing... Did Boat even miss any games besides the final ASU game? I realize he hurt his quad or something and wasn't 100% for a few games but I don't remember thinking he wasn't healthy for any prolonged part of the season...

Reaction Score

He did mess that up in the top, but he wrote the AAC in the body

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He did mess that up in the top, but he wrote the AAC in the body
He was talking about the 2012 team in the first paragraph when we were in the BE.

Reaction Score
"Senior guard Ryan Boatright struggled with his health throughout the season, and players like freshman wing Daniel Hamilton and sophomore guard Rodney Purvis didn’t develop into the efficient contributors they were expected to be."

I'm failing to see when this was a thing... Did Boat even miss any games besides the final ASU game? I realize he hurt his quad or something and wasn't 100% for a few games but I don't remember thinking he wasn't healthy for any prolonged part of the season...

Agreed 100%....failing to see the health struggle for Boatright and also failing to see how Daniel Hamilton didn't develop into the efficient contributor he was supposed to be. He was a freshman. Sure he had some bad games but he is certainly NOT why we were disappointing.

Here are some valid reasons we were disappointing: Purvis didn't show up until last 1/3 of the season (if that), Omar showed up for 1 or 2 games (if that), Cassell hurt and barely played, Samuel being division 2 talent offensively, Nolan looking lost (or worse than lost if there is such thing), Brimah disappearing in several games (especially down the stretch) and not having the ability to close out games (Yale, Texas, etc.). Boatright and Hamilton, not even close to on the list of reasons.

Onto next season.

Reaction Score

If you followed UConn last year, injuries plagued an already thin team all year.
Rodney after putting up 19 in an impressive win against a decent Dayton team
Was injured early in the West VA game and for the next few games including the llast minute losses to Texas and Yale
Boatright sustained a deep thigh bruise in the Texas game ,
Which left us with a somewhat healthy backcourt of SCJR and TSAm for the infamous Yale loss. although Jr might have already been slowed.
To add to this Omar was also injured and the talk was he might transfer after sitting the season out.
RB being the warrior he is ,tried playing but his best game healing was at Florida.
Those early injuries changed the dynamics of the season substantially.This last years team was not an underachieving team in the same way 2012 was.
They came an injury away from winning the AAC tourney,and an undermanned squad battled in their NIT loss. That team didn't quit which reflects favorably on their coach and that little giant Ryan Boatright

Reaction Score
If you followed UConn last year, injuries plagued an already thin team all year.
Was injured early in the West VA game and for the next few games including the llast minute losses to Texas and Yale
Which left us with a somewhat healthy backcourt of SCJR and TSAm for the infamous Yale loss. although Jr might have already been slowed.
To add to this Omar was also injured and the talk was he might transfer after sitting the season out.
RB being the warrior he is ,tried playing but his best game healing was at Florida.
Those early injuries changed the dynamics of the season substantially.This last years team was not an underachieving team in the same way 2012 was.
They came an injury away from winning the AAC tourney,and an undermanned squad battled in their NIT loss. That team didn't quit which reflects favorably on their coach and that little giant Ryan Boatright
You've refreshed my memory and Boatright clearly "struggled with his health" more than I recalled. Also makes me feel better about their performance. Still don't see the DH comment though. That is false in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Not worried about offense now but I hope we can be better defensively. Blocked shots with Brimah OK but he was pushed around, and we let a lot of front courts hurt us. This where Miller comes in, right?

Reaction Score

They fixed it now. Took a few hours though.

Reaction Score
You've refreshed my memory and Boatright clearly "struggled with his health" more than I recalled. Also makes me feel better about their performance. Still don't see the DH comment though. That is false in my opinion.
He also missed most of the second half and OT of the Temple game at home after getting a deep thigh bruise in that one. I think we would have won that game with RB as we came so close and DHAM only had to make 3 FT''s in OT to win it. Of course he missed the fist two and then the 3rd he committed a violation when trying to hit it off the backboard.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agreed 100%....failing to see the health struggle for Boatright and also failing to see how Daniel Hamilton didn't develop into the efficient contributor he was supposed to be. He was a freshman. Sure he had some bad games but he is certainly NOT why we were disappointing.

Here are some valid reasons we were disappointing: Purvis didn't show up until last 1/3 of the season (if that), Omar showed up for 1 or 2 games (if that), Cassell hurt and barely played, Samuel being division 2 talent offensively, Nolan looking lost (or worse than lost if there is such thing), Brimah disappearing in several games (especially down the stretch) and not having the ability to close out games (Yale, Texas, etc.). Boatright and Hamilton, not even close to on the list of reasons.

Onto next season.

I disagree with Nolan being lost - AB was hibernating in all the big games and on the boards. Nolan can rebound and can apply some defensive pressure. If he had AB's physical attributes Nolan would be a totally different player. I, in no way, am saying Nolan is a game breaker or even a real talent BUT he did contribute under the lights in the NCAA tourney - as did TSam to a lesser extent.
Last year rests with Purvis, AB and the lack of a 4 spot - injuries were also a real home wrecker. Questionable Team Chemistry also had hurt.

Yes, Boat and DHam were not in the mix of reasons

I share your sentiment- ON TO NEXT YEAR

Reaction Score
It was his ankle he rolled at the end of the texas game when they set an illegal screen for the winning shot. He was clearly not 100% in the yale game because of it.
The deep thigh bruise was in the temple game.

Reaction Score
Gosh Darnit....

Too bad the AAC rookie of the year didn't progress into the efficient contributor he was supposed to be....

Reaction Score
Not worried about offense now but I hope we can be better defensively. Blocked shots with Brimah OK but he was pushed around, and we let a lot of front courts hurt us. This where Miller comes in, right?
I have never watched a Cornell game but statistically Miller is a STUD on defense. We can probably expect a slight drop with the upgrade in competition but he should still be our best defender and a great rebounder which will help Brimah substantially. A guy like Miller let's Brimah take chances on blocks (which he did last year anyways) and still have someone to clean up the glass if it gets through.

Reaction Score
If anyone defends UConn about this article I welcome you to the Boneyard, because surely you weren't posting on the Boneyard last seaon. Hell even Scrappy was dissappinted (nuff said).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If anyone defends UConn about this article I welcome you to the Boneyard, because surely you weren't posting on the Boneyard last seaon. Hell even Scrappy was dissappinted (nuff said).
NOT ACCURATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky