Five Guard Lineup? | The Boneyard

Five Guard Lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sure this was discussed during the game thread, but I did read that UCONN used a 5 guard lineup. Was that the way that they started the game or was it something that was tinkered with during the game? I previously said that I think that UCONN is more dangerous with guards on the floor and not trying to have the traditional lineup with a 4 and a 5 on the court.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We used our normal starting rotation, but went small to counter Nova being a small, fast team that gets a lot of its points from the perimeter. Indeed, it was with this lineup that UConn jumped out to big leads in the first half and at the end of the game.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We used our normal starting rotation, but went small to counter Nova being a small, fast team that gets a lot of its points from the perimeter. Indeed, it was with this lineup that UConn jumped out to big leads in the first half and at the end of the game.

Per CD in the post-game, UCONN went to a small lineup "not out of choice" because we thought it was the best way to counter Villanova, but out of necessity because our "post play isn't where it needs to be."

I think if Stef had been playing up to the level the coaches would like, she could have been a 1-woman wrecking crew against 'Nova.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Step wasn't dominating a much smaller 'Nova team I can only imagine that Geno was fuming. Playing without a post player is very rare. Was the game close when the 5 guard lineup was deployed?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Per CD in the post-game, UCONN went to a small lineup "not out of choice" because we thought it was the best way to counter Villanova, but out of necessity because our "post play isn't where it needs to be."

I think if Stef had been playing up to the level the coaches would like, she could have been a 1-woman wrecking crew against 'Nova.
Agree to a point. A small player can be a mismatch over a big one, or vice versa, depending on who's more effective. So if Stef had been more effective, it would be a mismatch in UConn's favor.

But Nova was shooting it pretty well from the outside and not attempting many close range shots (actually Stef destroyed one of Nova's rare attempts from inside). Stef's teammates also didn't do her many favors, though she missed a bunny off of a beautiful pass form KML. This really was a small lineup kind of game. Yes, getting more production from the post position is a legitimate concern, but I don't think specific game was black and white.

ETT, to answer your question, the game was very close before Geno went small in the first half. UConn then built a big lead that Nova ate into a bit with some threes, but UConn still had an 11-point lead at the half. Stef started the second half, and Nova got within five. UConn went small again and ripped Nova apart late with that lineup.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The coaching staff's perspective always gets the nod, but while it's true that she SD maybe could have dominated that team on O, there was no way. and the coaches certainly knew it, that she could be a serious defender along the perimeter against the VU offense. She would be dead from exhaustion in no time chasing on the outside. The 5 guards worked more because of how it destroyed the VU offense and that led to a lot of UConn offense.

Reaction Score
If Step wasn't dominating a much smaller 'Nova team I can only imagine that Geno was fuming. Playing without a post player is very rare. Was the game close when the 5 guard lineup was deployed?

Rarely does one see Geno not fuming during a game; I noted that he wasn't upset enough to put in Kiah or Heather. The NC game will be a different match-up and, who knows, he may try 2 or 3 post players then.
From my perspective the 5 guard lineup snuffed them.

Reaction Score
When last fall I predicted 3-4 losses and an NC I didn't anticipate such a rotten post position situation.
I'm not changing yet, but I am getting nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom