Five college basketball players who had breakout offseasons (Clingan) | The Boneyard

Five college basketball players who had breakout offseasons (Clingan)

Reaction Score
Kyle Boone high on the Huskies again. He was the one last preseason who said that UConn was going to be really good and have their highest NCAA Tournament seeding since 2011.

1. Donovan Clingan, UConn

The unassuming, yet undeniable unsung star for the defending champion UConn Huskies, Clingan was recently dealt a tough blow after suffering a foot strain that could hamper his start to the season. But as a card-carrying member of the Clingan fan club, I'm not selling off my stock yet, and I strongly advise you follow suit.

He may not come out of the gates playing like an All-American, but his consistency as a weapon as a freshman combined with the offseason buzz surrounding him has people in the UConn universe believing UConn -- with him as a top-15 player in college hoops when it matters most -- can repeat as title winners. (Hi, it's me; I'm people.)

Reaction Score

DONOVAN CLINGAN, C, UCONN HUSKIES

High school ranking: No. 73
2022-23 stats: 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game.
Why he’ll make a jump: During UConn’s National Championship run, Donovan Clingan proved to be an immensely valuable and productive player despite playing pretty limited minutes. The seven-footer was eighth on the team in minutes per game, but what he did during his time on the floor was very impressive. He was fifth in scoring, third in rebounds and led Dan Hurley’s Huskies in blocked shots.
Headed into year two, Clingan is popular a pick for players who could take a step forward. He should be. He’s already proven that he can produce when given minutes. And with Adama Sanogo gone, he’s going to get all of the minutes that he can handle as a sophomore.
Clingan is one of those guys who is wired a little differently, too. He’s always tuned up. He plays with a real me-against-the-world attitude and he manages to do so within the framework of what his coaches want from him. It will be a pretty big surprise if he doesn’t have a monster season in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom