First time at Gampel for a game, best seating? | The Boneyard

First time at Gampel for a game, best seating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me start by apologizing as I'm certain this thread has probably been made here before. I wasn't able to find it through the first few pages so I posted myself, but if this doesn't belong here, please direct/move/merge me to the right place!

Long-time Husky fan who, due to geographical location, never got to a game on main campus. A close friend moved to Storrs recently, so we're planning to go to the OSU game in December. I checked tickets out on Stubhub and I can't afford lower level for two people, especially with the holidays. So I ask: outside of the lower-level seating, where is the best spot for 2 first-timers to watch the game from?

Any and all information appreciated!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
There really isn't a bad seat in the house. The last time I game back for a Syracuse game in 2007 (ish) I bought tix last minute and was pretty high up in one of the corners and are seats were still great.

Reaction Score
View from every seat is great...but sit in a chair back for your back not your eyes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Spend the money for a chairback. Gampel is a tight fit and you want to keep the knees off your back.

Reaction Score
The chair back is unnecessary seeing as you will be standing all game. Unless you're an older fan who needs it for health reasons, the benches are of no real inconvenience.

Seriously - if you've never been to Gampel, I can't stress enough how liberating the building is. Right from the moment you walk in you want to jump through the roof - it's about as adrenaline-generating a venue there is in sports and for that reason, I often find that the last row is preferable. I'll never forget one of my first games there...I was pretty much just running along the back wall the entire second half looking for any stranger to hug.

Reaction Score
Unrelated, but does anyone know where to find OP's avatar on a t-shirt? I know I saw it in person once and didn't get a chance to ask them where they got it..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
As others have said:
  • There are no bad seats in terms of view. I had student season tickets for two seasons that were the last row behind the hoop and they were still great. It is an excellent venue to view a basketball game.

• Seat back chairs are definitely worth it if possible because the bleachers are tight and uncomfortable. Especially in the winter when you have coats and other layers that you don't want to wear once inside. The seating chart below shows the seat back sections (in blue) and the bleachers (in red).

• When I can't get seat backs, I prefer the last row in a given section so that I can stand behind the bleachers rather than sitting in them. It is not true that everyone stands for the whole game, but I sure prefer it to sitting in the middle of an overcrowded bleacher, so I get the last row, which allows me to do that without being in anyone else's way when they are not standing.

gampel-seating-0910.gif

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
As others have said:
  • There are no bad seats in terms of view. I had student season tickets for two seasons that were the last row behind the hoop and they were still great. It is an excellent venue to view a basketball game.

• Seat back chairs are definitely worth it if possible because the bleachers are tight and uncomfortable. Especially in the winter when you have coats and other layers that you don't want to wear once inside. The seating chart below shows the seat back sections (in blue) and the bleachers (in red).

• When I can't get seat backs, I prefer the last row in a given section so that I can stand behind the bleachers rather than sitting in them. It is not true that everyone stands for the whole game, but I sure prefer it to sitting in the middle of an overcrowded bleacher, so I get the last row, which allows me to do that without being in anyone else's way when they are not standing.

gampel-seating-0910.gif
Exactly what I was going to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member