First Night 2014? | The Boneyard

First Night 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sorry to ask this, but I was looking online and did not seem to see it. Does anyone know when the first night event will be this year? I thought I saw something for October 3rd, but I thought I saw something for the 17th... It is a Friday night right? Anyone know roughly a time? Thanks

Reaction Score
I think it's usually on the 3rd Friday in Oct. which makes it Oct. 17th this year!
My buddies and I go for the autographed poster then head home. Since they went to guys & girls together it's sucked big time!
I don't want to see 3 legged and tricycles races! I want to see practices, shooting, dribbling, and the new girls integrated with their team mates!
Also blaring, screaming music and sound gives me a headache!
We get there at 2:30pm first in line, bring folding chairs & food then go though both lines and get all the autographs!

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info.... Do they have posters there of the team that can then be autographed or did you bring one in?

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Serious scrimmages would be just great, with posts on Youtube after so those of us out of state can see some real action. Alas, a thing of the past. And the music, OY.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'll be a minority voice again.

I thought the scrimmage with teams mixed (men and women) was terrific and signaled the mutual respect the coaches and the players have for one another. I can imagine no other school doing this and I thought it was a special treat for recruits who were present. Ditto 3-point shooting contest or other skills competitions.

Nix on the crappy non-basketball stuff.

There is no way that they (men or women) are going to have an all-out scrimmage in this venue this early in the practice season, so why not just have some fun. Fun for the players and fun for us.

And yes, please turn the music volume down.:mad:

WAY down!

PS. Be careful what you bring.;)

HGN

Reaction Score
To each his own.....But I liked the combined boys/girls game. Just a way to introduce the teams to the fans and general public. If a serious scrimmage is what you seek you can always go back to open practices.

I also thought that the 'First Night' format was changed , by Geno, to bring Kevin formally into the fold. To make him an official member of the UConn coaching family. Turns out it was a genius stroke as both teams strongly supported each other and both went on to win the NCAA Championship.

Reaction Score
UCONN provides the poster and they have 2 rows alternating boy/girl/boy/girl with Geno at the end of one row and Kevin at the end of the other row! I go through the right side line then you go in the building run to your right go out the doors and get in line again and when you reach the front of the line again choose the left line and you'll have ALL the autographs you go into Gampel you can find a seat or I go home then!
The year it started boys & girls I stayed for the scrimmage but it was dominated by the guys above the rim, the music was Rap blaring at its loudest, and small contests, the 3 point contest is 2 girls vs 2 guys! I loved the girls all by themselves and it was all BB for an 1 1/2 hrs. Then Geno talked to the crowd for 20 minutes and it was over!
I'm just interested in the WBB not MBB, so the dunking and above the rim stuff turns me off I just want to see how the rookies and vets mesh and Geno & staff worked their butts off and ended with a girl's program scrimmage with their practice guys for at least 30 minutes!

Reaction Score
HGN, I think the format changed while Jim Calhoun was still the coach for a couple years then Kevin Ollie came aboard!

Reaction Score
I must admit that although I'm a fan of the Uconn Men, I'm a FANATIC follower of the Uconn Women. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed last year's First Night with the scrimmage of the mixed teams and we can all agree that the new found mutual respect of the programs is great to see. Also, I just love watching KML burying all the guys in the 3pt contest:)

Regarding the autograph session, be aware that the powers to be go to great lengths to have only the UCONN provided posters signed. Despite that, last year I was able to get KML to sign my #23 Uconn shirt. I jokingly pointed to my Maya autograph and told her 'you can just scribble right over the top of Maya'! That got her laughing and out of her chair to sign the shirt-which I was wearing at the time. Needless to say, that is my go-to shirt now for all the big games.

First Night will be extra special this year-see you there:)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I must admit that although I'm a fan of the Uconn Men, I'm a FANATIC follower of the Uconn Women. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed last year's First Night with the scrimmage of the mixed teams and we can all agree that the new found mutual respect of the programs is great to see.

I not only agree completely but would like to take this one further step.

There can now be no question about the unique mutual respect of the coaches and players for one another. Manifestations are many, including Geno and Kevin making joint appearances, Shabazz joining Stef or Stewie for major events, team members at games of their counterparts, duplicate practice facilities in the Champions Center, etc.).

I believe this mutual respect and support has been extended to fans. I, like you, favor the women's team. Many do likewise and many others favor the men. Understandable.

But now I sense a transition (especially by mens' fans) from grudging tolerance, to acceptance, to sincere interest and enthusiastic support.

No other school has this extraordinary quality.

And none have ever done what UConn has.

Twice.

It's not a coincidence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was the date formally announced. I looked on UCONNHUSKIES.COM and did not see a set date. Any insight would help. I plan to bring my kids. Thanks

Reaction Score
It was posted somewhere! UCONN BB media or whatever. Starts fans enter around 6pm or so, autographs start same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom