First Game at the Rent | The Boneyard

First Game at the Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
I am taking my son and his friend to the army game. Since this is my first game, I have a couple of questions. The boys are young, so we will not be tailgating. How long should I allow for parking and getting into the stadium? Also, what are our choices in terms of food. Am I allowed to bring snacks or drinks (nonalcoholic) into the stadium?

Reaction Score
If you're coming in late I would park across the street at the aircraft club lot. You will have a MUCH easier in and out. I'd arrive about an hour before kickoff so you can get in , get food and comfortably be in your seat for kickoff and maybe see the band, too. They will not allow in outside food. There's tons of new food choices this year. I saw one concession stand that was labeled as a Texas Roadhouse. I dunno what that entails, but I get the idea they are trying to build up the food offerings a good deal. I recommend you sit in the family section. There's no alcohol allowed there so if there's a random drunk guy (like me), you can avoid that. Getting out, again if you are parked at the aircraft club lot once you walk out, you can reasonably expect to be on the highway within 20-30 minutes tops and depending on what the game was like, maybe much less! Good luck! Hope the boys have a great time!

GG

Reaction Score
Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.
No food or drinks allowed in. You maybe able to sneak in small snacks. No backpacks or umbrellas allowed. I would try to be in the parking lot 1 1/2 - 2 hours before kickoff. Gates open 90 mins before to see warmups. They have a fan fest with games and free giveaways for all. Enjoy

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unless your son is 2 years old and not potty-trained, you will not be allowed to "legally" bring anything inside. My son just turned 2 prior to last season and we were able to bring in juice and applesauce pouches in his diaper bag. Sounds like your son doesn't fit that criteria though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How long should I allow for parking and getting into the stadium?

Let me second the suggestion that you park across in the Aircraft Club Lot across Silver Lane from the stadium (just west of Simmons Road). And the sad fact these days is that if you get there 30 minutes before game time you should be all right.

Reaction Score
Get there two hours early and take your kids to the interactive stuff right outside the stadium. Then get inside 20 minutes before kickoff and have them watch the band and pagentry. My little guys and gals loved that--and watching the team run on the field. They were 3,4, 5,and 6. The girls really got into it, too. If you get psyched so will they. Now they are 14,13,12,11 and still love it.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
Get there two hours early and take your kids to the interactive stuff right outside the stadium. Then get inside 20 minutes before kickoff and have them watch the band and pagentry. My little guys and gals loved that--and watching the team run on the field. They were 3,4, 5,and 6. The girls really got into it, too. If you get psyched so will they. Now they are 14,13,12,11 and still love it.

Wow, one a year for 4 years. Rascal.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
First of all - I hope you and your son and friend enjoy the day/game!!

How old are they? It might be cool for them to go see Husky Walk. That happens a little over 2 hours before kickoff when the team arrives to the stadium from campus. The boys will be able to high five the players and coaches as they make their way into the stadium. We've taken a few kids over to the Husky Walk over the years and they have all LOVED it.

If you get to the stadium after Husky Walk and are just interested in going to the game, then I'd say arriving at Silver Lane 1 hour before kickoff would be just fine. That will give you plenty of time to park, make your way over to the stadium, get food/drinks, and find your seats in time to see the band bring the team out of the tunnel.

Unfortunately, there is a strict "No Food/Drinks" policy unless your kids are really young. The good news: the concessions have improved over the years. If you and the boys can't find something you like in the stadium concessions, there are food trucks located behind the scoreboard/Jasper Howard Memorial. NoRA cupcakes and a few grilling restaurants were back there for most of the past few seasons. The prices are typically the same but the quality is typically better. A few Yarders were able to go the scrimmage yesterday and have reported that a Texas Roadhouse concession opened. That too is a improvement over early Rent concession options.

You picked a good game for the kids. Watching the Army cadets take their seats is really cool. I would guess that you'd have to get your way into the stadium a bit earlier to see that. If you and your kids have a good time at the game but miss the cadets, you'll be able to recreate the honor when Navy comes to the Rent later in the season.

HAVE FUN!!!!

GG

Reaction Score
First of all - I hope you and your son and friend enjoy the day/game!!

How old are they? It might be cool for them to go see Husky Walk. That happens a little over 2 hours before kickoff when the team arrives to the stadium from campus. The boys will be able to high five the players and coaches as they make their way into the stadium. We've taken a few kids over to the Husky Walk over the years and they have all LOVED it.

If you get to the stadium after Husky Walk and are just interested in going to the game, then I'd say arriving at Silver Lane 1 hour before kickoff would be just fine. That will give you plenty of time to park, make your way over to the stadium, get food/drinks, and find your seats in time to see the band bring the team out of the tunnel.

Unfortunately, there is a strict "No Food/Drinks" policy unless your kids are really young. The good news: the concessions have improved over the years. If you and the boys can't find something you like in the stadium concessions, there are food trucks located behind the scoreboard/Jasper Howard Memorial. NoRA cupcakes and a few grilling restaurants were back there for most of the past few seasons. The prices are typically the same but the quality is typically better. A few Yarders were able to go the scrimmage yesterday and have reported that a Texas Roadhouse concession opened. That too is a improvement over early Rent concession options.

You picked a good game for the kids. Watching the Army cadets take their seats is really cool. I would guess that you'd have to get your way into the stadium a bit earlier to see that. If you and your kids have a good time at the game but miss the cadets, you'll be able to recreate the honor when Navy comes to the Rent later in the season.

HAVE FUN!!!!
Thanks for the info. The boys are each eight. Although they like sports (and my son plays flag football), neither has watched an entire game. I think this will be a wonderful experience and I am looking forward to it as much as they are.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Enjoy it @GG I've been going to UConn games with my old man since the stadium opened, and now I have kids of my own, my Dad and I still have our same seats, and tailgate every single game. I already plan on getting an extra seat in a couple of years for my son and daughter. It's an awesome family tradition to start in my opinion. So many great memories at The Rent and with this program. Welcome into the 'Yard, and GO HUSKIES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom