First 9 plays on the new offense | The Boneyard

First 9 plays on the new offense

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Wholly premature - of course - but I can't stop thinking about it.

With Pindell at QB I would like to see the first 10 plays include the following components. The actual order of plays to be dictated by the down and distance - don't read my ordering as the proper order. I'm omitting standard running plays that would be needed to keep this balanced.

1) WR screen to Skanes
2) Deep sideline throw to Dixon to stretch the field
3) A passing play to create a mismatch with Tyler Davis
4) Square in or slate route to Beals or Skanes - something that mimics the highly accurate and quick throws shown in Pindells highlight tape.
5) A backfield with both Williams and Newsome, Williams to possibly play FB for a down.
6) RB screen to David Williams
7) A Pindell roll out play
8) A passing play to feature Tommy Meyers or Alec Bloom
9) A misdirection play to utilize Pindell's speed

Reaction Score
1 The inside hand off to Newsome.
2 Followed by a fake hand off to Newsome with Pindell keeping.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No Hergy Mayala???

Whoops. Got to get Hergy a touch too. A nice toss somewhere 15 - 20 yards out. Maybe on the Pindell roll out play.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To make this all work Pindell will have to make plays. Medium and long throws to keep the DBs on their heels and some rollout and qb sneak action to keep the LBs on their toes too. Above all we need to get kids like David Williams, Skanes, Newsome, Dixon, Beals and Mayala in space.

Reaction Score

With Pindell at QB I would like to see the first 10 plays include the following components. The actual order of plays to be dictated by the down and distance - don't read my ordering as the proper order. I'm omitting standard running plays that would be needed to keep this balanced.

1) WR screen to Skanes
4) Square in or slate route to Beals or Skanes - something that mimics the highly accurate and quick throws shown in Pindells highlight tape.
5) A backfield with both Williams and Newsome, Williams to possibly play FB for a down.
First play is gonna be a QB read option or a handoff to Newsome.

Reaction Score
To make this all work Pindell will have to make plays. Medium and long throws to keep the DBs on their heels and some rollout and qb sneak action to keep the LBs on their toes too. Above all we need to get kids like David Williams, Skanes, Newsome, Dixon, Beals and Mayala in space.
Your vision of the spread offense that Lashlee is gonna run is a bit skewed. It's a run based offense that uses the run both by the QB and the backs to open up the passing game. This isn't a Mike Leach air raid offense where the QB throws 50-60 times/game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Your vision of the spread offense that Lashlee is gonna run is a bit skewed. It's a run based offense that uses the run both by the QB and the backs to open up the passing game. This isn't a Mike Leach air raid offense where the QB throws 50-60 times/game.

Dude, I said at the beginning - "I'm omitting standard running plays that would be needed to keep this balanced."

I probably should have called this discussion "the first 9 passing plays" or "9 passing plays that must be used in the first half."

After further thought this morning with Pindell's highlight reel and Auburn's JFS in mind too, yes, I think Lashlee will have Pindell run and hopefully he doesn't get hurt. I expect our O Line to improve this year, but not enough to be a power running team in the traditional sense. Our running game will come from the triple threat of Pindell/Newsome and Williams making people miss.

Reaction Score
Dude, I said at the beginning - "I'm omitting standard running plays that would be needed to keep this balanced."

After further thought this morning with Pindell's highlight reel and Auburn's JFS in mind too, yes, I think Lashlee will have Pindell run and hopefully he doesn't get hurt. I expect our O Line to improve this year, but not enough to be a power running team in the traditional sense. Our running game will come from the triple threat of Pindell/Newsome and Williams making people miss.

It's a bit confusing -- you talk about the first 10 plays, but then say you're omitting the bulk of the offense.

This offense will use motion and misdirection to keep the defense honest.

Reaction Score
We don't know what offense Lashlee is going to run.
a) he has repeatedly said he wants to grow as a coach (implying, IMO, that he wants to do more than what was done at Auburn)
b) the staff has also said they are going to coach the players they have to their strength, until they recruit what they need to run their schemes.

The offense will be a no huddle/hurry-up offense, but while it won't be the Air Raid, it's not going to be Navy's option offense either.

Reaction Score
We don't know what offense Lashlee is going to run.
a) he has repeatedly said he wants to grow as a coach (implying, IMO, that he wants to do more than what was done at Auburn)
b) the staff has also said they are going to coach the players they have to their strength, until they recruit what they need to run their schemes.

The offense will be a no huddle/hurry-up offense, but while it won't be the Air Raid, it's not going to be Navy's option offense either.
Yup it isn't going to be...instead of a wishbone it will be shotgun using the QB to run read option, mis-direction taken directly from Tubby Raymon'd Wing-T with a passing game mixed in. If you think he is going to abandon EVERYTHING he has EVER known offensively you are ignorant to say the least. I encourage you to watch Auburn, Clemson and SMU and see what they do. That will give you a good idea on how this thing will be. At least that's what he mentioned during the meet and greet.

Reaction Score
Yup it isn't going to be...instead of a wishbone it will be shotgun using the QB to run read option, mis-direction taken directly from Tubby Raymon'd Wing-T with a passing game mixed in. If you think he is going to abandon EVERYTHING he has EVER known offensively you are ignorant to say the least. I encourage you to watch Auburn, Clemson and SMU and see what they do. That will give you a good idea on how this thing will be. At least that's what he mentioned during the meet and greet.

Don't be a dick. There's really no need for personal shots.

I didn't say he is going to abandon anything. I don't expect him to abandon his core philosophy. All I said is that he's made it clear he wants to grow as a coach, and he's not going to force guys into his style if they are unequipped to do so. To me, that means trying new things, not continuing to do what you've always done.

Of course it will be similar to what they ran at Auburn. But you don't need to abandon what you've learned in order to grow as a coach. Maybe you do know it all, and he took a pay cut at an SEC program to take the same job in the AAC, just so he can do the same thing he's always done, only with less talent.

Reaction Score
If you think he is going to abandon EVERYTHING he has EVER known offensively you are ignorant to say the least.
Geez Louise, what's with the bad mannered insult? We're all on the same team here, lighten up.

Reaction Score

I didn't say he is going to abandon anything. I don't expect him to abandon his core philosophy. All I said is that he's made it clear he wants to grow as a coach, and he's not going to force guys into his style if they are unequipped to do so. To me, that means trying new things, not continuing to do what you've always done.

Of course it will be similar to what they ran at Auburn. But you don't need to abandon what you've learned in order to grow as a coach. Maybe you do know it all, and he took a pay cut at an SEC program to take the same job in the AAC, just so he can do the same thing he's always done, only with less talent.
You started with the attitude not me. I never mentioned it was going to be the Navy offense just that it wasn't going to be the air raid. You are the one that brought that up.

Reaction Score
You started with the attitude not me. I never mentioned it was going to be the Navy offense just that it wasn't going to be the air raid. You are the one that brought that up.

1) you misread the tone of my post, there was no "attitude" in that post
2) it wasn't intended for you specifically, or I would have quoted/replied to you
3) the only reason I put "know" in bold/italics is to emphasize that we're making assumptions. Educated assumptions based on past performance, but that's not a guarantee for the future. The best coaches adapt to the times.
4) I didn't accuse you of saying it was going to be the Navy offense.
5) you also completely ignored the qualifying statements of the OP, so I comfortable concluding this is a "you" problem, not mine.

Reaction Score

Don't be a dick? I thought everyone needed to be to have access the the BY?

Reaction Score

1) WR screen to Skanes

Will not argue with a fan and their off-season dreams.... :) It keeps the spirit and interest alive. No attack Exit, but for myself I could care less what plays they run or who the personal running them are. If the topic has to be centered around the number 9, I'm all in for our first 9 win season since 2007 and a better result in our bowl game. ;)

Reaction Score
On the first three offensive series of 2016 (11 plays, 17 yards) against Maine, UCONN punted twice in Maine territory with 2 and 1 yards to go for a first. There's only one direction to go! Can't wait!

Reaction Score
Run Up the Middle
Run Up the Middle
Pass
Fake Punt
Run Up the Middle
Run Up the Middle
Pass
Fake Punt
Run Up the Middle

Oh wait, that was last year.

By Pass, I think you meant to say: QB scrambles with look of death in his eyes. Then gets flipped like he hit just slipped on the springboard at full speed and careened into the vault propelling him 8 feet in the air.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom