Fire Warde Manuel | The Boneyard

Fire Warde Manuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hopefully Herbst has been "monitoring" his situation and will replace this joke of an athletic director, with somebody who will give Kevin Ollie the contract he deserves and can this joke of a football coach

Reaction Score
Seriously, you know what? As much as I hate everything about our FB Coaching Staff it's becoming more apparent that they aren't going anywhere, so this is the next best move! SOMEONE's head has to roll for this "death spiral" the entire Athletic Department is in, so can Manuel! At least your sending a message that our current state of affairs " is absolutely unacceptable" to another conference. At first I thought that Warde was just taking the time to get adjusted and take it all in before making any major decisions. IMO this is a sign of a good leader, it shows patience and confidence. However, the fact that we haven't heard a GD thing from this guy in a time that couldn't be more critical in the history of college sports is absolute crap! Send this guy packing and let a new AD start over next year since we're stuck with P anyway. Could give the new AD a year to find the "RIGHT GUY FOR THE JOB"rather than a "safe hire!"

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm going to wait and see how he handles P and GDL before I make any declaratory statements but so far Manuel hasn't shown me anything.

Strikes against Warde Manuel:

-ACC debacle. Who knows what he could have done or if his input really even mattered. However, when you're at a preseason womens basketball tournament it looks bad. Perception, as realignment as proven to us, is reality.

-Kevin Ollie's contract. I'm not in the camp that thinks Ollie should be given a 5+ year deal given that he has no coaching experience. However, working out a 3 year deal with terms that include a reasonable buyout clause wasn't rocket science.

-2014 and future OOC future schedules. 2012 season just ended and we have 0 games on our 2014 schedule. That is 100% unacceptable. If the home schedule is MAC, MAC and NNBE, why would you expect the casual fan to come to The Rent?

Reaction Score
I'm going to wait and see how he handles P and GDL before I make any declaratory statements but so far Manuel hasn't shown me anything.

-ACC debacle. Who knows what he could have done or if his input really even mattered.
However, when you're at a preseason womens basketball tournament it looks bad.
Perception, as realignment as proven to us, is reality.

-Kevin Ollie's contract. I'm not in the camp that thinks Ollie should be given a 5+ year deal given that he has no coaching experience. However, working out a 3 year deal with terms that include a reasonable buyout clause wasn't rocket science.

-2014 and future OOC future schedules. 2012 season just ended and we have 0 games on our 2014 schedule. That is 100% unacceptable. If the home schedule is MAC, MAC and NNBE, why would you expect the casual fan to come to The Rent?

Agreed, however, your before mentioned points are enough for me right now.
Someone has to be replaced at this point, period!

Reaction Score
Does it just make people feel better that they can publicly say Fire Warde Manual, Fire Coach X, Fire President Herbst?

WM just signed a 5 year contract @ $450k/yr w/ a two year university option in February of this year. Do you really, really think he will be fired after 9 months (absent doing something very absurd - not BY definition of absurd)??

Should we sell another home game to cover that buy-out as well?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Warde Manuel makes $450,000 a year? Holy .

I guess I am entirely naive to the salary of an AD, but good lord that seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a guy who's prior experience includes Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel makes $450,000 a year? Holy .

I guess I am entirely naive to the salary of an AD, but good lord that seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a guy who's prior experience includes Buffalo.

No and I bet he's maybe mid-range. 6 years experiance @ Buffalo w/ a MBA from Ross Business School @ Michgan (Top 10 +/- in country) and a Masters in SW.

Reaction Score
Honeymoon is over Donut boy!

We HAD big problems for a half-dozen years with Hathaway. I think Herbst correctly recognized it ... and off with Ann Boleyn's head. What had Manual done?

1. We haven't recruited to our standards in MBB in 3 years. Calhoun was not in prime form ... and now we have this anvil we are carrying in the 7 month contract. Enough. I think the decision now is obvious & doesn't have to be a costly buyout for KO. Give him a chance to make some traction.

2. The Football decision could not be more obvious. Hoping that 2013 is going to be better is just stupid. What are you going to do Warde?

This ain't Buffalo anymore. Buffalo was a second tier nobody cares place. This is a MAJOR opportunity ... with a downside if we don't get it right. Show me something.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. We're paying someone 450k a year to not make decisions?

Reaction Score
Herbst and Manuel either knew something about the BiG when everything went down with the ACC and Louisville or they got caught off guard. I hope it's ther former, but I highly doubt it. I think there is a good chance they were working on their tans with my tax money and donations. If that is in fact what happened, I want some asses and I'm fine if the first one is Ward's big fat one.

Reaction Score
I really would like to see WM engage the fanbase, unless I missed it - I've failed to hear from him his vision for UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
He has not articulated a vision, nor strategy, nor tactics. He has broken ground on hoops facility and has gotten the wheels rolling on hockey upgrade. He also hired an Assistant AD who was supposed to have responsibility for football. I have no idea what they do for football since:
1. We still have mind numbing commercials and DJ Joey on game day. An embarassment
2. We have a vote of confidence for mind numbing coaching staff
3. We saw the most poorly attended game at the Rent since it opened. Fan apathy at an all time high

When hired, Herbie said Warde had 'gravitas' whatever the hell that is. Just hope he has a vision and the will to execute it. But for now, we get crickets

Reaction Score

-ACC debacle. Who knows what he could have done or if his input really even mattered. However, when you're at a preseason womens basketball tournament it looks bad. Perception, as realignment as proven to us, is reality.

Since it's the FB forum, I'll keep this short.

Most senior managers would react similarly to the Calhoun/Ollie situation. Want to blame someone? Think about turning your guns on the recently retired coach. The one who waited until the absolute last minute to announce. As good as I think KO is, and will be, there is no way that WM could allow the selection process to be hijacked by JC's maneuvering attempt to shove a hand-picked successor up his nether regions.

That being said, WM had better consider the possible consequences of slow or no reaction to the football situation. Presently, we, college football, and the media see a boring, unappealing product in dire need of good news, radical improvement and/or anything else that restores fan confidence and impresses outsiders.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Most senior managers would react similarly to the Calhoun/Ollie situation. Want to blame someone? Think about turning your guns on the recently retired coach. The one who waited until the absolute last minute to announce. As good as I think KO is, and will be, there is no way that WM could allow the selection process to be hijacked by JC's maneuvering attempt to shove a hand-picked successor up his nether regions.

I'm not a fan of how Calhoun handled the situation, but he has earned every right to retire when he felt it was the right time. If Calhoun didn't break his ribs in the bicycle accident I think he would have coached this upcoming season.

Calhoun did not have the right to choose our next coach and while his family coaching tree has been unspectacular to say the least I would take Calhoun's opinion over some no name, ex football player, former Buffalo AD every day of the week.

It's not rocket science. Give Ollie a short term deal with a reasonable buyout clause. We're paying Manuel $500k a year, he should be able to figure this out.

Look, I'm not in the Ollie is the next John Wooden camp, but having a 7 month contract really doesn't give him a fair shot. It's a credit to our players and Ollie that he commands the respect he does being a lame duck coach and not to mention it hurts us on the recruiting trail.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
When hired, Herbie said Warde had 'gravitas' whatever the hell that is. Just hope he has a vision and the will to execute it. But for now, we get crickets
Gravitas is "donuts" in latin.

Reaction Score
The chances of Warde Manuel being fired are about as good as the chances of Nick Saban being fired. Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom