Finally a great college WBB game on ESPN that lived up to the hype. | The Boneyard

Finally a great college WBB game on ESPN that lived up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#2 vs #3

3 OT

Lots of lead changes or ties

To often a game featuring two teams in the top 5 are still blowouts. This game would hold the attention of anyone for the full 55 minutes. At least all the turnovers and lack of whistles for the majority of the game made the game exciting to watch.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yep - this game was just plain exciting to watch.

It isn't so much the blow-outs (I rarely watch them, certainly not till the end), it is just the boring unexciting games. And low scoring. It doesn't bother me with Rutgers, because I have a rooting interest, but watching paint dry between 2 teams that I only marginally care about - yuck.

This one lived up to the hype - actually UConn / Notre Dame games in general have been exciting, although I know you folks wish some of the games had ended differently.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The quality of play was not consistently great, but in terms of drama, our 3 losses this year were very good, especially a 1-pointer and a 3-OT classic.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The quality of play was not consistently great, but in terms of drama, our 3 losses this year were very good, especially a 1-pointer and a 3-OT classic.
Yep, 56 TOs not really a great showing on national TV. :eek:
But drama-wise, it scored high.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It was a mixed bag for me. Jumping up and down with the excitement especially when UConn put them away and then the let down of another loss to a team they should have beaten.

The really crappy play didn't help.

Reaction Score
Yep, 56 TOs not really a great showing on national TV. :eek:
But drama-wise, it scored high.
First, this was a game and a half, not just a game. So the turnovers would be equal to about 39 in a regulation game (admittedly, still not great). Then, there is a big difference between types of turnovers. A guard dribbles down court and passes unchallenged into the stands, or dribbles off her leg - yes boring. A coach throws a hissy fit and gets a T. That's a turnover but isn't boring. Ref errors can cause TOs. Offensive fouls are turnovers but can be interesting for many reasons. Ball pressure and good defense can cause interesting turnovers, as can shot clock violations when they are caused by the defense. Many of the turnovers in this game were caused by good defense, passionate desperation, and psychological pressure, as two great teams battled. Big difference from mere sloppy play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
First, this was a game and a half, not just a game. So the turnovers would be equal to about 39 in a regulation game (admittedly, still not great). Then, there is a big difference between types of turnovers. A guard dribbles down court and passes unchallenged into the stands, or dribbles off her leg - yes boring. A coach throws a hissy fit and gets a T. That's a turnover but isn't boring. Ref errors can cause TOs. Offensive fouls are turnovers but can be interesting for many reasons. Ball pressure and good defense can cause interesting turnovers, as can shot clock violations when they are caused by the defense. Many of the turnovers in this game were caused by good defense, passionate desperation, and psychological pressure, as two great teams battled. Big difference from mere sloppy play.
Eh not quite a game and a half. But compare for instance Men's ND-Louisville 5 overtime game (now that's a game and a half plus). Total 29 TOs.

So that's like 41 to 18 in a 40 minute game. Yea, that's messy.

Reaction Score
Was home sick and missing our senior night. Your game was 30 minutes ahead of ours. Kept switching back and forth on tv. Finally decided on your second half +.

Still not a fan of Diggins' offense in a "big" game. Some say she just finds the right person. I think she just doesn't WANT to be the right person on anything except her drives to the basket plus hope for foul (which she is very good).

Just not convinced she's that good in clutch (how many points did she score the first two ot's-- O?????); but last night it was obvious you guys are a point guard away from being better than those ladies. And if KML didn't go in to a scoreless drought early in second half (at least from the three), game would not have been close.

Enjoyed the game. Sloppy, but then it's the kind of excitement women's bball needs more of. And just like our game last week, it means nothing except pride and as important as that is, there's never been a team hang a banner that read "yeah, but we really had pride". All that matters is 6 games in March/April. Kim keeps hammering that in to our seniors. Forget everything else that has happened good or bad so far and might in the conference tourney next week. Winning streaks mean nothing, except for one, and it's a short one. Only thing that matters is can you win 6 games.

If chalk holds, you guys will have the easier semi vs. Stanford since they are more one dimensional and between Dolson and Steward you can slow down Ogwumuke. After watching Mc Bride last night, I think Madden can take her off her game and Sims LIVES to play Diggins. So, I'll still like our chances at a rematch with you guys that DOES matter April 9.

[And I still don't have tickets ARRRRRGGGGH!]

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If chalk holds, you guys will have the easier semi vs. Stanford since they are more one dimensional and between Dolson and Steward you can slow down Ogwumuke. After watching Mc Bride last night, I think Madden can take her off her game and Sims LIVES to play Diggins. So, I'll still like our chances at a rematch with you guys that DOES matter April 9.

[And I still don't have tickets ARRRRRGGGGH!]
Be glad to play you guys for the NC. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member