"Final" rankings for our incoming quartet | The Boneyard

"Final" rankings for our incoming quartet

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now that we are getting close to the start of the season, I imagine the 3 recruiting services I have easy access to are pretty much done with their rankings. Not sure if everyone knows the final rankings (I'm SURE it's in a thread SOMEWHERE and that someone will invariably point that out)...

In order, Hoopgurlz, Blue Star, and Prospects Nation

Megan Walker - 1, 1, 1
Mikayla Coombs - 13, 8, 31
Andra Espinosa-Hunter - 16, 10, 32
Lexi Gordon - 29, 21, 22

"Average" composite ranking:

Walker - 1
Coombs - 17
AEH - 19
Gordon - 24

FWIW. Great class. Great kids. Looking forward to seeing them play!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation is the outlier on Mikayla and Andi. I think rankings of 1, 12, 15, and 24 may be more accurate.

I like this group. As we saw in Italy, they were not ready for prime time in August. Hopefully by November, Geno can insert Meg or Mikayla (likely the two most advanced) along with 4 of the upperclassmen and see them hold their own. We will need some contributions from them this season, even if it's only extended garbage time. Even though she's only a frosh, there aren't many players as good as Meg in the AAC. If this group listens and works hard, they will be fine. Gabby, Lou, Pheesa, and even Kia has struggles as freshmen. So did the uber-talented Diana, Tina, and Stewie. In fact, everyone not named Maya struggled early on.

Reaction Score
This is an elite class. I don't buy the math by which most services calculate class rankings. To me quality trumps quantity in basketball. We got the #1 2017 player. In hoops the team with the best player wins. We have two #1's on the roster now. Combine that with Geno and it's game over.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It is a very impressive class, but it is unfortunate that three of them play basically the same off-guard / small forward position. Only Megan is likely to be a candidate for the 4 slot. The absence of a PG is not a problem considering the existing roster, but the lack of a "big" in this class or the next is a definite problem.

Hopefully Geno can charm / cajole Azura into staying for her last year of eligibility. Otherwise 2018-19 will greatly resemble 2016-17, and will probably end without a National Championship.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It is a very impressive class, but it is unfortunate that three of them play basically the same off-guard / small forward position. Only Megan is likely to be a candidate for the 4 slot. The absence of a PG is not a problem considering the existing roster, but the lack of a "big" in this class or the next is a definite problem.

Hopefully Geno can charm / cajole Azura into staying for her last year of eligibility. Otherwise 2018-19 will greatly resemble 2016-17, and will probably end without a National Championship.
Not really. Both Mikayla and Andra have played the 1. UCONN has rarely had a pure PG take over like Danger and Moriah. Bird was a converted 2G as was Renee Montgomery.

I DO agree that starting our quartet at the 1-4 spots would make us undersized, but IMHO Andra and Lexi are likely role players (before anyone gets their hair on fire, Ashley Battle was also a "role player" meaning she never started). But you never know how the kids will develop. So my point is that it's likely that Megan and Mikayla are future starters, and given that Crystal is 1 year ahead of them, there you have your starting PG for the next 3 years (depending on who starts this year).

I'm mentally preparing myself for a class of 0 for 2018, but let's keep our fingers crossed. The competition for Williams and ONO is off the charts. I don't know much about the young lady from Australia, but I get the feeling she may not decide till next summer, if she decides to play hoops in the USA.

As for Azura, no matter how good she is, I would be shocked if Geno would have taken her with her flat out saying she was only going to stay for 1 year. I'm not sure what kind of commitment he requested from her, and of course things can change, but I'm betting if anyone were to ask her, she would say "I'm staying 2 years". Horde - how about it? Ask her the question!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom