Final Minute vs. Tulane | The Boneyard

Final Minute vs. Tulane

Reaction Score
I apologize if this has been brought up in another thread, but I found it incomprehensible (and perhaps suspicious?) that Tulane stopped fouling with over 20 seconds to go in a two-possession game last night. The Huskies were still in a 1-and-1. The game was a long way from done and dusted, especially with the way Tulane had chipped away at the lead over the previous 30-40 seconds. I was wondering what the Boneyarders thought as this was transpiring.

Reaction Score
I apologize if this has been brought up in another thread, but I found it incomprehensible (and perhaps suspicious?) that Tulane stopped fouling with over 20 seconds to go in a two-possession game last night. The Huskies were still in a 1-and-1. The game was a long way from done and dusted, especially with the way Tulane had chipped away at the lead over the previous 30-40 seconds. I was wondering what the Boneyarders thought as this was transpiring.
It was ridiculous by Ron Hunter. He's a good coach but no excuse for not playing it out.

The turnover by us under our own hoop for a Tulane layup was one of the worst blown calls I've ever seen. The Tulane defender made like an NFL safety destroying our player to get the ball.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Same thing happened at the end of Dayton vs URI before us, but not as weird. I think it was about an 8 point game with 35 or so seconds.

Reaction Score
Was a bit odd... if we miss the front end of a 1and1 & they hit a 3 it's a 3pt game with maybe 10 seconds left.

Odds are slim to make up 6 points in that time frame but was strange not to foul at least once more.

Last edited:

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I was wondering what the Boneyarders thought as this was transpiring.
Wanted to make sure Tulane covered the spread???

Joking of course, but it was the oddest choice. Go for the steal, who knows what can happen. Teams go ice cold at the line, throw the ball away, half-court shots get made.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If Hurley did not foul in that spot I would have lost my mind.

As a coach, you need to give your team every opportunity to win, and by not fouling there, Hunter did his team a disservice. That was a no-brainer....a MUST.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It was ridiculous by Ron Hunter. He's a good coach but no excuse for not playing it out.

The turnover by us under our own hoop for a Tulane layup was one of the worst blown calls I've ever seen. The Tulane defender made like an NFL safety destroying our player to get the ball.
It was a straight up mugging. Our guy got cleaned out under the basket. When the play stopped and both teams went to their huddles, I noticed a few Tulane players laughing rather coyishly, as if they knew they got away with one. If the game was tied, or closer, I guarantee that gets called.

Reaction Score
Both of those non-call fouls were bad. The spear tackle under the hoop was nonsense. The play at the sideline they reviewed where the player literally yanked Gilbert's arm was comedy.

As for Hunter- I dunno. Maybe I play that game out. He just wants this season over with as quickly as possible. Year one of a long rebuild there. Screw it, go home.

Reaction Score

I totally agree. I couldn't believe they didn't call a foul there.

Then again Rideau did that to Gaffney at the end of the first half at USF and nothing was called there either.

Reaction Score

Reminded me of Reggie Miller taking out Greg Anthony in the 95 playoffs at the end of game 1.

Reaction Score

1. The turnover was reminiscent of Reggie Miller physically destroying John Starks when he hit is 2 threes within seconds.

2. The fact that they still had a pair of 1 and 1s to give made the decision utterly bizarre. Hunter must have misunderstood something. You could not have rationally thought they had no reasonable chance to tie the game at that point.

3. Hunter, however, let DH off the hook. It was fine against a team without a real big and with Polley thinking he was Jeff Adrien to play Akok, Polley and 3 guards. But playing Polley and 4 guards left us with zero defense whatsoever. I know you want your best foul shooters on the court, but if you guard people and don't allow uncontested layups for 3 straight possessions you don't need to hit as many foul shots.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

He definitely hit him but the question is whether he hit him before the ball got there!;);)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I found it incomprehensible (and perhaps suspicious?) that Tulane stopped fouling with over 20 seconds to go in a two-possession game last night.
Not suspicious since I think I read the spread was around UConn -10.5 and the game was nowhere near that. Just an incredibly bad coaching decision. A good way to lose the team is to not teach them how to fight. As a player I would have been thinking "What the #uck".

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Some of the Tulane players were visibly upset.
I'd like to give you a double like. One for noticing them being upset, which I didn't, and 1 for the fact that they were upset. I'm Team Schadenfreude all the way.

Reaction Score
The in-bounds pass by Adams was to the wrong side of Vital. If Adams had thrown to Vital's left hand, it would have had to been called a foul as the player would have had to go through Vital to the ball. Because the pass was to Vitale's right hand, the defender hit Vitale and the ball pretty close to simultaneously.

But the entire Tulane comeback came off the missed one-and-one by Bouk. If he makes his fouls or even just one. We probably win by ten.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom