Final Four Update | The Boneyard

Final Four Update

Reaction Score
Well I have been literally sick since the Friday before the FF and am getting back to normal. I was stuck in bed and didn't feel like responding to forums. Here are a few sentences to sum up this weekend.

1. Congratulations to ND. Arike made a terrific shot with a hand in her face. The no call between Mabry and William was correct. It wasn't the best officiating I've ever seen but better than some think. It was an ugly game with two good defensive teams. MSU had their chances but didn't capitalize and ND did when the game was in the balance. The iron 6 and McGraw deserve the congratulations this season. They lost in the finals 4 of 5 years so the program knows the sting of defeat.

2. I was crushed for MSU. We didn't play well and as the team became loaded with fouls I became increasingly concerned. McCowan was off and I suspect she was just exhausted. We took too many quick shots and didn't adjust well to the ND defense. This was the best "team" MSU has ever seen regardless of sport. MSU has never won a NC in any sport and we don't get a lot of chances. Last year we made it one, maybe two games beyond my expectations. I wasn't sure we would be back in the position for a title again but this team avoided injury and complacency. There is a place in my heart for this team and the fans of Bulldog Nation have no reason to be disappointed.

3. The Huskies have an argument for being the best team the past two years and not winning the title either time. Kia and Gabby are honestly two of the most likable players in the country and Geno is by far the best coach. I've said before and mean it, UConn is the platinum level of women's basketball. Stevens leaving hurts for sure but I don't doubt the Huskies. They will be back.

It truly was the best FF I've ever seen with the four best teams playing until the end.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Well I have been literally sick since the Friday before the FF and am getting back to normal. I was stuck in bed and didn't feel like responding to forums. Here are a few sentences to sum up this weekend.

1. Congratulations to ND. Arike made a terrific shot with a hand in her face. The no call between Mabry and William was correct. It wasn't the best officiating I've ever seen but better than some think. It was an ugly game with two good defensive teams. MSU had their chances but didn't capitalize and ND did when the game was in the balance. The iron 6 and McGraw deserve the congratulations this season. They lost in the finals 4 of 5 years so the program knows the sting of defeat.

2. I was crushed for MSU. We didn't play well and as the team became loaded with fouls I became increasingly concerned. McCowan was off and I suspect she was just exhausted. We took too many quick shots and didn't adjust well to the ND defense. This was the best "team" MSU has ever seen regardless of sport. MSU has never won a NC in any sport and we don't get a lot of chances. Last year we made it one, maybe two games beyond my expectations. I wasn't sure we would be back in the position for a title again but this team avoided injury and complacency. There is a place in my heart for this team and the fans of Bulldog Nation have no reason to be disappointed.

3. The Huskies have an argument for being the best team the past two years and not winning the title either time. Kia and Gabby are honestly two of the most likable players in the country and Geno is by far the best coach. I've said before and mean it, UConn is the platinum level of women's basketball. Stevens leaving hurts for sure but I don't doubt the Huskies. They will be back.

It truly was the best FF I've ever seen with the four best teams playing until the end.
Here's to your continued recovery to full health. Appreciate your observations and comment. Loss is no fun but 50% of the teams walk away with a loss, following every game. A new season is on the horizon for all of us.

Reaction Score
Here's to your continued recovery to full health. Appreciate your observations and comment. Loss is no fun but 50% of the teams walk away with a loss, following every game. A new season is on the horizon for all of us.

Also 64 teams make the NCAA tournament and all but one end their season with a loss.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Outstanding post. Please stick around.

Reaction Score
Yes a great example of how not to whine about injuries, not to put other teams players down and your players played the game the right way in the final.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting. Your sentiments and analysis are very similar to mine.

I am a UConn fan but to be honest I was just as sick for the Miss State loss as I was for UConn's. I was really pulling for Vic, and at this point he may be the best coach without a national championship to his credit.

There are some outstanding platinum-level posters here who just happen to be fans of other teams and who make this place worth sticking around even as so many go into meltdown mode. I hope you stick around as well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I am a UConn fan but to be honest I was just as sick for the Miss State loss as I was for UConn's. I was really pulling for Vic, and at this point he may be the best coach without a national championship to his credit.l

Well said; same here.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Your sentiments and analysis are very similar to mine.

I am a UConn fan but to be honest I was just as sick for the Miss State loss as I was for UConn's. I was really pulling for Vic, and at this point he may be the best coach without a national championship to his credit.

There are some outstanding platinum-level posters here who just happen to be fans of other teams and who make this place worth sticking around even as so many go into meltdown mode. I hope you stick around as well.
Whoa, Plebe. In your haste to post, you must have forgotten that JPM has not yet won a NC either. So I guess that makes Vic at best the second best coach with a NC. Vic can catch up to coach P if he learns to pass the blame to his players instead of saddling himself with the burden.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Whoa, Plebe. In your haste to post, you must have forgotten that JPM has not yet won a NC either. So I guess that makes Vic at best the second best coach with a NC. Vic can catch up to coach P if he learns to pass the blame to his players instead of saddling himself with the burden.
Ah man! That was a nice uplifting positive thread UNTIL ....

Reaction Score
Thanks for letting me post on the board. I'm a fan of the sport in general and have been for many years. My rural, small town high school has a long tradition for having a strong girls basketball program. It's always been more successful than the boys team. MSU wasn't very good when I was in college but Sharon Fanning had just taken over and they improved slightly but still weren't an overall winning program except for a few seasons when Latoya Thomas and Jennifer Fambrough played (but our men's team made the 96 FF after beating a Ray Allen led UConn team in the E8). The SEC was brutal back then with UT, Georgia, LSU and Vanderbilt all having great programs.

Being a southerner most everyone loved Pat Summitt. I cheered loudly for the LVs when tournament time rolled around and against UConn but have truly never seen a point to bash the Huskies or Geno. I noticed during UConn's 3 peat of 02 to 04 how they had moved past UT on a national level in recruiting and talent. UT would win 2 more titles with Parker and company but the better overall program is in Storrs and has been for many years.

I know MSU will take a firm step back next season even with McCowan. A couple of the reserves are solid and the recruiting class is strong but I don't see us back at the FF next year. UConn, ND, Oregon, Baylor, Texas, Louisville all have strong teams and you never know who lurks around the corner. Vic and Dawn lose a tremendous amount of talent but they are the two best coaches in the league and will have MSU and SC ready.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks for letting me post on the board. I'm a fan of the sport in general and have been for many years. My rural, small town high school has a long tradition for having a strong girls basketball program. It's always been more successful than the boys team. MSU wasn't very good when I was in college but Sharon Fanning had just taken over and they improved slightly but still weren't an overall winning program except for a few seasons when Latoya Thomas and Jennifer Fambrough played (but our men's team made the 96 FF after beating a Ray Allen led UConn team in the E8). The SEC was brutal back then with UT, Georgia, LSU and Vanderbilt all having great programs.

Being a southerner most everyone loved Pat Summitt. I cheered loudly for the LVs when tournament time rolled around and against UConn but have truly never seen a point to bash the Huskies or Geno. I noticed during UConn's 3 peat of 02 to 04 how they had moved past UT on a national level in recruiting and talent. UT would win 2 more titles with Parker and company but the better overall program is in Storrs and has been for many years.

I know MSU will take a firm step back next season even with McCowan. A couple of the reserves are solid and the recruiting class is strong but I don't see us back at the FF next year. UConn, ND, Oregon, Baylor, Texas, Louisville all have strong teams and you never know who lurks around the corner. Vic and Dawn lose a tremendous amount of talent but they are the two best coaches in the league and will have MSU and SC ready.

Once again, thanks for an outstanding post and a great season by the Bulldogs. I spent two years in Mississippi post-graduation and enjoyed my time in Jackson and trips to Starkville, Oxford and Hattiesburg. So, I've got a soft spot in my heart for teams from Mississippi.

The Notre Dame fan in me also remembers (arrggh) the great job Vic Schaefer did for Gary Blair and the Texas A&M team, preparing the defense that defeated Muffet McGraw and the Skylar Diggins-led Irish. It felt like deja vu all over again in the 1st half of this year's championship game, to say the least.

Coach S and this senior class have made huge strides in the SEC and nationwide over the last few years and -- upon last glance -- it has paid off with an uptick in recruiting, so I suspect I'll be seeing Mississippi State in the upper registers of the SEC Standings for years to come. Also hope to see your posts. In the meantime, continue to feel better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom