Final Four appearances is snapped in the Elite Eight or Sweet 16. -- Alexa Philippou | The Boneyard

Final Four appearances is snapped in the Elite Eight or Sweet 16. -- Alexa Philippou

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How quickly the worm turns! ;)

"The Huskies don't have anyone ready to emerge as consistent go-to players, and they're as ineffective defensively as Geno Auriemma complained following their "secret scrimmage" against UMass."

Reaction Score

"The Huskies don't have anyone ready to emerge as consistent go-to players, and they're as ineffective defensively as Geno Auriemma complained following their "secret scrimmage" against UMass."
Did you read the article? It gives Best and Worst Case scenarios for each team. This is the Worst Case scenario for the Huskies. It's not a prediction.

Reaction Score
The worst case scenarios for most teams are more realistic in my opinion than the best case ones, which are generally too pessimistic. For example, only two teams have a national championship in their best case scenarios, South Carolina and Stanford. While I agree that SC and Stanford are a notch above the next tier, saying that all the other teams in the top ten have a zero percent chance is ridiculous. In my opinion if you can get to the Final Four, you have a chance at the championship.

Sometimes a 3 or 4 seed gets to the Final Four and face underdog roles in both semifinals and finals. They may not be huge underdogs in each game, however, and two upsets in a row can and does happen. Think Arizona a couple of years ago. Weren't they a 4 seed, that beat us and then came within one or two breaks of being national champion?

I think if ESPN went back and changed the best case for every team they topped out at the Final Four to National Champion it would be pretty decent, along with changing most Elite 8 ceilings to Final Four.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Did you read the article? It gives Best and Worst Case scenarios for each team. This is the Worst Case scenario for the Huskies. It's not a prediction.
Relax. Just kidding around

Reaction Score

How sharper than a serpent’s tooth…..

Reaction Score
I agree with oldhuskie, the best case scenarios are not far enough towards the 1-100 or even 1-25 outcomes that best case signifies. For us a best case is clearly a national championship--not likely--but still possible. With regards to worst case, it is hard to imagine bowing out in the round of 16. In some respects, our injuries last year resulted in a worst case case scenario, and we were in the final four, if i recall correctly.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Idle thoughts: there are only two regional sites this year...each hosting 8 teams.
Greenville SC and Seattle Washington are the hosts. That means that there will be 2 teams from each site
advancing to the final 4. Might be a good idea to avoid South Carolina and Stanford altogether in the regionals...and still advance to the final four. Realistically give SC one berth from Greenville.

Given some fortunate luck with health from now on...and fine play from the many talented kids we have...I think we have a very decent shot at the second berth from Greenville...or Seattle for that matter. Then see what happens in Texas at the final four. Not nearly an assume given but I would not bet against us.

Is Albany one of the two regional sites in 2024? Hope so!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I ALWAYS wait until after the 5th game of any season before I make these kinds of observations because ONE GAME (or scrimmage) is not enough of a sample size to reach the conclusions this writer has. I guess it's a slow day in WCBB. Nothing new to see here. Nothing we have not already discussed or commented on. This is nothing more than "click bait". We don't need the media to tell us what we're looking at.

Going into the exhibition game in 3 days, we've covered ALL the bases. We left no stone unturned. We've talked about everything and every player this spring and summer. We're ready to "cut the ribbon" on this new season. We (the Boneyard) know as much or more than the writer of this piece. When I start pinning my hopes and dreams on the observations and opinions of the media, I'll stop being a UConn fan, and turn to something else. There are more posters HERE that know what they are taking about than media members who write about a myriad number of teams and other sports.

We're UConn WBB ALL THE TIME. They are not. We're invested emotionally in UConn WBB, they are not. We have posters that are current and former basketball coaches that know what they are talking about, and we have posters here that have been following this program since Geno and Christine Dailey arrived in 1985, and have more credibility and knowledge about this program than a "Johnny-come-lately" beat writer or columnist that has NEVER coached a college WBB team a day in their life. Answer this question.... who has been following this team longer, Alexa Philipou or us? Don't get me started. :mad: I'll take a deep breath now, and step down off of my soap box.........as you were. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IlThis is nothing more than "click bait". We don't need the media to tell us what we're looking at.

Less than a week til season’s start. What else do we have to talk about besides clickbait?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
espn reports:

"South Carolina's Aliyah Boston and Iowa's Caitlin Clark are once again considered front-runners for national Player of the Year.'"

seems to me that the 'front-runners' for that award at this time last year were paige and aliyah; while caitlin was a strong contender but not favored.

boston and clark might be the 'front-runners' for that award this year, and if espn thinks so, fine. but why insert 'once again?' the phrase is unneeded, gratuitous -- erase it and the sentence conveys the same substantive message.

letting it stand makes the sentence false, in my view.

it might be a quibble, but misreporting facts certainly seems to be fine and dandy these days. that it's become so acceptable in realms beyond sports is sad, sloppy and dangerous.

Reaction Score
It’s always disheartening to see gloomy prognostications for our girls. And even the best case strangely stops at the final four. But overall, this is not an unreasonable assessment of the worst case.

I’m struck by the best case for Indiana, though Crème stopped short of predicting anything for them. But I share his sense that if things break their way, Berger Holmes Scalia could be formidable.

Reaction Score
espn reports:

"South Carolina's Aliyah Boston and Iowa's Caitlin Clark are once again considered front-runners for national Player of the Year.'"

seems to me that the 'front-runners' for that award at this time last year were paige and aliyah; while caitlin was a strong contender but not favored.

boston and clark might be the 'front-runners' for that award this year, and if espn thinks so, fine. but why insert 'once again?' the phrase is unneeded, gratuitous -- erase it and the sentence conveys the same substantive message.

letting it stand makes the sentence false, in my view.

it might be a quibble, but misreporting facts certainly seems to be fine and dandy these days. that it's become so acceptable in realms beyond sports is sad, sloppy and dangerous.
ESPN never misses an opportunity to belittle UConn. This is yet another example of this. In order to simply be truthful they would have to mention Paige. They don’t want to bring UConn into it so they promote Caitlin to co-favorite for last year by expunging Paige from the entire storyline. They are so desperate to see the end of the UConn era!
As a longtime fan of UConn I obviously want to see them win their 12th championship! (and more) However, I have to admit, if (when) that happens and I am rejoicing along with everyone else on the Boneyard, a (fairly large) part of that joy will be at the thought of Geno & company sticking it to ESPN again! I’d love to be a fly on their wall as the last couple of minutes ticked away in a UConn championship win! I imagine they would all look like they’d been sucking on lemons!:)

Reaction Score
ESPN never misses an opportunity to belittle UConn. This is yet another example of this. In order to simply be truthful they would have to mention Paige. They don’t want to bring UConn into it so they promote Caitlin to co-favorite for last year by expunging Paige from the entire storyline. They are so desperate to see the end of the UConn era!
As a longtime fan of UConn I obviously want to see them win their 12th championship! (and more) However, I have to admit, if (when) that happens and I am rejoicing along with everyone else on the Boneyard, a (fairly large) part of that joy will be at the thought of Geno & company sticking it to ESPN again! I’d love to be a fly on their wall as the last couple of minutes ticked away in a UConn championship win! I imagine they would all look like they’d been sucking on lemons!:)
Why do they have to mention Paige? She's not playing this year. She essentially doesn't exist other than as a cheerleader. Why shouldn't ESPN focus on the players that are actually going to play this season?

sun

Reaction Score
The CNN article didn't say that Boston & Clark were pre-season favorites for POY last year, only that they were favorites again this year.
They were favorites at the end of last season when Paige wasn't even being considered for it.
The CNN article is accurate because on March 22, 2022, there were only 4 finalists left which didn't include Paige.

wpoy-finalists-22-1080x1350-1.jpg

And according to a Bleacher Report article dated March 9, 2022, there were 10 semi-finalists for POY and Paige was not on that list either.
The link can't be posted here but the article can be Googled titled, "Caitlin Clark, Aliyah Boston Headline Naismith Women's POY Award Semifinalists" by Tim Daniels, Bleacher Report . com
The article acknowledged that Boston & Clark were the favorites to win POY last year, but that it wasn't set in stone.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The worst case scenarios for most teams are more realistic in my opinion than the best case ones, which are generally too pessimistic. For example, only two teams have a national championship in their best case scenarios, South Carolina and Stanford. While I agree that SC and Stanford are a notch above the next tier, saying that all the other teams in the top ten have a zero percent chance is ridiculous. In my opinion if you can get to the Final Four, you have a chance at the championship.

Sometimes a 3 or 4 seed gets to the Final Four and face underdog roles in both semifinals and finals. They may not be huge underdogs in each game, however, and two upsets in a row can and does happen. Think Arizona a couple of years ago. Weren't they a 4 seed, that beat us and then came within one or two breaks of being national champion?

I think if ESPN went back and changed the best case for every team they topped out at the Final Four to National Champion it would be pretty decent, along with changing most Elite 8 ceilings to Final Four.
I noticed this, too. Why is the best case for the #3 team the final four? If they punch one above their weight, they’re in the championship game. Same for some teams ranked around 10. The best case is the round of 16? That’s the expected case, not the best case. In my best Inigo Montoya accent, “I don’t think those words mean what ESPN thinks they mean.”

sun

Reaction Score
I noticed this, too. Why is the best case for the #3 team the final four? If they punch one above their weight, they’re in the championship game. Same for some teams ranked around 10. The best case is the round of 16? That’s the expected case, not the best case. In my best Inigo Montoya accent, “I don’t think those words mean what ESPN thinks they mean.”
It should be well understood that if a team can make it to the FF under the best scenario then it would in the running for the NC.
They're not making predictions, only mentioning possibilities to advance for success.
They're describing doors that can open or close.
It's entertainment & fun to read about.
The BY is one tough crowd to please, everyone can't be happy when there's going to be some losers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing that the ESPN team’s evaluations do not take into account is who each team has for a coach. Anyone who watched last year’s conference tournaments and the NCAA’s should be able to point out where good or bad coaching decisions or inexperience in tournament situations were the difference between advancing or going home. Can anyone prepare a list of the best coaches of the top 25 teams and not include Geno in their final four? As I recall UCONN was not supposed to make it into the final four last year. I guess UCONN really needs the Geno Invitational to be held in Bridgeport to have any chance of advancing to the semi-finals.

Reaction Score
Very little material here to spend much time on. Huskies likely lead the country in unknowns, most of which are on the positive side. How will UConn blend in all the new players and how much better than last year will all the Huskies be that were injured in 2021 play? Rather than speculate on writer's click bait, I'd rather forecast how many 3's Azzi will make, what Dorka's mix of field goals and rebounds will be, and the over and under of how many yelling matches Geno gets into with refs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom