Final Drive | The Boneyard

Final Drive

Reaction Score
Prior to the completion to McClean on 3rd and 22, was a bit of an abomination.

That screen to Arkeel for a 2yd loss with the clock running was bad.

They picked it up but I thought they could have been a bit more resourceful with the clock.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The O did all you could ask on that drive. Put the kicker in a great place to put the game in OT

Style poins don't count.

Reaction Score

They picked it up but I thought they could have been a bit more resourceful with the clock.
Sherriff never finishes that drive. Hasn't his whole career.

But after the penalty put UConn on the 25. We never took a chance to win the game. That's on Edsall and OC.

To be fair, the loss is not on the offense. However, they offense had a chance to win it and decide to play it safe.

Reaction Score

If they wanted to win it, flood one side with Donaldson, Dixon, and Meyers. Roll to the opposite side and throw a short pass to Newsome, behind the LB's. I was hoping they would do that instead of the telegraphed screen.

Reaction Score
I wish we ran a play that would have set up the field goal in the center of the field if we didn't score. but it's whatever, they're getting better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2 min offense will be solved by coaches.

It was poor today but almost worked.

Reaction Score
Wtf...???

This team was buried first half. Have up a 75 yard pass on first play of second half.

Defense adjusted, offense started to click, and they clawed back... at the end, defense needed a big stop and they got it. Offense needed to drive and they did.

Did everything they needed for a reasonable fg. He missed.

Losing this game sucks. And we'll likely make bottom 25. But if you can't see the change in offense I can't help you. Defense was scorched, but they never gave up and got the stop at the end.

The kids are buying into the coaches. Progress isn't immediate. I'm not happy with the loss. But happy with the effort, fight, and progress.

Putting every drive under the microscope is a waste of time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about keeping the clock moving on the penultimate play? Was that the right call by the ref?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What about keeping the clock moving on the penultimate play? Was that the right call by the ref?
I don’t think so and I think that’s why Edsall decided to try for the field goal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don’t think so and I think that’s why Edsall decided to try for the field goal.

It's a close call. Donaldson's forward momentum was certainly stopped while he was in bounds.

In my head I almost took that call as a pseudo-makeup call for the borderline unnecessary roughness personal foul.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think the personal foul call was right. Guy pretty much pulled some WWE body slam. I didn’t have a great vantage point on Donaldson that final play but I think he made it out

How out of shape are these dudes on ECU’s D? Every two plays they had some body dying on the field, except for plays were we could have used a stoppage obviously.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I’m confused about the 40 seconds that just disappeared on that drive. Also. Edsall needed to take that final timeout sooner take a shot at the end zone then kick. Can’t believe how much time we wasted.

The clock should have stopped before the last TO. WR made the sideline.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
D only gave up 14 in the second half, with one being a one play drive. Get rid of that and we did enough to win.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The clock should have stopped before the last TO. WR made the sideline.
I thought so but the ref was right there saying run the clock. Either Randy wrongly thought he was out and didn’t notice the clock or for some reason intended to run the clock down all along? Did he think it was 4th down already?

Reaction Score
If they wanted to win it, flood one side with Donaldson, Dixon, and Meyers. Roll to the opposite side and throw a short pass to Newsome, behind the LB's. I was hoping they would do that instead of the telegraphed screen.

Key words: telegraphed screen. IMO Sheriffs should have the awareness on that play to see ECU D already in the backfield overloading that side, sitting there waiting for Newsome. Would've been better off tucking and running there, but he didn't.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
D only gave up 14 in the second half, with one being a one play drive. Get rid of that and we did enough to win.
Ugh, I had forgotten about that score. Yuck.

Reaction Score
Bullcrap....ECU purposely sat on the football for like 7 minutes in the 4th quarter, converting two 3rd downs into 1st downs, like they were the majority of the 1st half. I still don't get why our D pkayed WAY OFF their WRs on 3rd down. Reeeediculous

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The D was average in the 2nd half. 28/game rate in only good compared the 57/game they gave up in the first half. They made a few stops against at team that was trying to run clock. Any silver lining is cloying.

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to watch today's game due to work, but reading everyones comments and looking at the statistics remind me of one of those games from Edsall's first term that got away. One of those games that was certainly winnable and should have been won, but wasn't. It certainly hurts, but the offense put up some numbers we haven't seen in a long long time. Come on defense!!

EDIT: Just turned on the replay on ESPN3. First play Mayala could have taken it to the house with a better throw then get hurts for the game on next play? Just our luck! We were doomed from the beginning!!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom