FIBA U19 World Cup | The Boneyard

FIBA U19 World Cup

Reaction Score
Looks like UConn fans will be closely tracking the US (Ziebell) and Egypt (El Alfy).

Reaction Score

“18. Jana Elalfy - Egypt

It's not the first time fans have been able to enjoy the towering Elalfy on this kind of platform since she excelled for Egypt last year at the FIBA U17 Women's Basketball World Cup, finishing as the third top scorer and second best rebounder in the whole competition. She was also an All-Star Five member at the FIBA U18 African Women's Championship 2022 coming up with her usual big numbers. Now she will be out to impress again and it's only a matter of time before she is asked to step out at the FIBA AfroBasket Women.”

Reaction Score
Brea Cunningham recently joined Team USA replacing Aaliyah del Rosario who is unable to participate in the U19 WWC. As demonstrated by Cardoso and Betts in the Americup having a skillful 6’6”/6’7” post provides a considerable advantage over teams with simply 6’3”/6’4” bigs.

Reaction Score
Brea Cunningham recently joined Team USA replacing Aaliyah del Rosario who is unable to participate in the U19 WWC. As demonstrated by Cardoso and Betts in the Americup having a skillful 6’6”/6’7” post provides a considerable advantage over teams with simply 6’3”/6’4” bigs.
I don't think it is that big of a factor unless your gameplan is to throw it inside. I would take a 6'4 athlete with Paige and Caitlin Clark any day and would win. In these little tournaments you often see teams that aren't really that cohesive so the taller teams may have a slight advantage but really the USA team looked like a lot of really good players chose to sit out.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is that big of a factor unless your gameplan is to throw it inside. I would take a 6'4 athlete with Paige and Caitlin Clark any day and would win. In these little tournaments you often see teams that aren't really that cohesive so the taller teams may have a slight advantage but really the USA team looked like a lot of really good players chose to sit out.
The USA team did farely well to finish witih the silver considering they were playing a 10 year wnba vet in Dantaz and a 41 year old lifelong pro in DeSousza. That alone with a big presence in Cardozo was a lot to overcome with players who were amateurs and still in college.

Reaction Score
The USA team did farely well to finish witih the silver considering they were playing a 10 year wnba vet in Dantaz and a 41 year old lifelong pro in DeSousza. That alone with a big presence in Cardozo was a lot to overcome with players who were amateurs and still in college.
They always said college players to this against pros and win Gold.

Reaction Score
Let’s hope Fiba hasn’t put these behind a pay window.
All YouTube.

The United States started an exhibition tournament today featuring Australia, Canada, and Spain. Spain's Twitch channel is broadcasting games, but I am not sure if that includes the game that they are not involved in each day:

2:30pm ET on Wednesday is the exhibition against Spain. I have not seen anything on how the United States did against Australia, but Spain had a fairly comfortable win over Canada and also defeated Australia in an earlier exhibition.

Reaction Score
All YouTube.

The United States started an exhibition tournament today featuring Australia, Canada, and Spain. Spain's Twitch channel is broadcasting games, but I am not sure if that includes the game that they are not involved in each day:

2:30pm ET on Wednesday is the exhibition against Spain. I have not seen anything on how the United States did against Australia, but Spain had a fairly comfortable win over Canada and also defeated Australia in an earlier exhibition.

Found a link to the Australia vs USA friendly:
U19F. AUSTRALIA vs ESTADOS UNIDOS.- Torneo de preparación del mundial. Alacalá de Henares 10/07/23

Reaction Score
I've only finished the first half but, my god, some of the rising sophomores are some of the most selfish players i've ever seen on team USA. McMahon, Jones, and Rice only look to pass as a last result with McMahon being the only one thats at least efficient in her takes. She did pick up two offensive fouls though so...

Other than that I think Kitts and Lepolo are two of the only players that seem like willing and capable passers of the college players on the court (including incoming freshman) and seem to have the highest bball IQ of them as well.

Allie looked nervous, but had a nice steal and showed a quick release the one time she was passed the ball when open, but just hit the back of the rim.

Joyce Edwards looked quite raw offensively to me, she had some nice blocks and converted on some open lay-ups. Can definitely see her potential and her athleticism though.

Cunningham and Donovan stood out to me as well in the low post. The biggest issue were only a few players really got enough touches because of the aforementioned lack of passing so it was hard for many to shine in the first half at least.

Reaction Score
U19 Team USA defeated Team Canada in a friendly today 58-49. Haven‘t found a box score or game video posted on basketcantera.tv

USA plays Spain tomorrow in the third and presumably last friendly before the tournament starts for real Saturday.

Reaction Score
this board is the real mvp. I love it here. Will give this a watch later.

Team photo stood out. I thought Lopolo was a small guard but she looks huge next to Londynn Jones. Chloe Kitts is taller than I thought.

had no idea what to expect from the game. It was a lot of fun to watch. Some minor take aways without ruining too much are that Chloe Kitts really is probably a 4. Someone in the SC thread mentioned this, and this is why this board is so valuable. Boneyard fans really know the game. Second Hannah Hidalgo could play a lot as a freshman. She's special.

Reaction Score
had no idea what to expect from the game. It was a lot of fun to watch. Some minor take aways without ruining too much are that Chloe Kitts really is probably a 4. Someone in the SC thread mentioned this, and this is why this board is so valuable. Boneyard fans really know the game. Second Hannah Hidalgo could play a lot as a freshman. She's special.
With the size and physicality SC already has up front and will bring in, the only time Kitts would see the 4 position would be in mop up time in blowouts. She's way too easy to move around and has no offensive post up game.

Reaction Score
I've only finished the first half but, my god, some of the rising sophomores are some of the most selfish players i've ever seen on team USA. McMahon, Jones, and Rice only look to pass as a last result with McMahon being the only one thats at least efficient in her takes. She did pick up two offensive fouls though so...

Other than that I think Kitts and Lepolo are two of the only players that seem like willing and capable passers of the college players on the court (including incoming freshman) and seem to have the highest bball IQ of them as well.

Allie looked nervous, but had a nice steal and showed a quick release the one time she was passed the ball when open, but just hit the back of the rim.

Joyce Edwards looked quite raw offensively to me, she had some nice blocks and converted on some open lay-ups. Can definitely see her potential and her athleticism though.

Cunningham and Donovan stood out to me as well in the low post. The biggest issue were only a few players really got enough touches because of the aforementioned lack of passing so it was hard for many to shine in the first half at least.
finished the second half. Hidalgo was the best guard in the floor by a long shot. Rice, McMahon and Jones continued to be the biggest ball hogs I’ve ever seen. The rare occasions they did pass they were poorly executed. Just really bad basketball, though McMahon occasionally finished when she went up 1 against 3. I thought UCLA was going to be a final four team this year but after seeing their guards again this summer I’m going to have to walk that back.

Allie rarely touched the ball but missed both the shots I saw her take, one of which was an air ball. She did seem to have a higher bball IQ watching her defensively but would like to see more of her ability to create on offense.

Reaction Score
Hidalgo I think looked great as well. The best guard on the floor. I do think she might struggle at the next level finishing against proper bigs and she doesn’t look like an elite passer. But reminded me a lot of Olivi Miles, just smaller and less passing ability. Notre Dame seems likes. good fit for her.

Reaction Score
U19 Team USA defeated Team Canada in a friendly today 58-49. Haven‘t found a box score or game video posted on basketcantera.tv

USA plays Spain tomorrow in the third and presumably last friendly before the tournament starts for real Saturday.
Turns out games are on YouTube too:

Spain 63 Australia 62:
U19F. ESPAÑA vs AUSTRALIA.- Torneo Internacional de preparación mundial Sub19Fem. (Alcalá 11/07/23)

Spain 69 Canada 58:
U19F. ESPAÑA vs CANADÁ.- Torneo preparación del mundial. Alcalá de Henares 19/07/23

For those wondering, that USA-Australia game finished with a big Australia comeback to win 80-76. Unclear how hard anybody was trying to win it.

Wednesday exhibitions:
Australia-Canada:
U19F. AUSTRALIA vs CANADÁ.- Torneo preparación mundial. Alcalá de Henares 12/07/23
Spain-USA:
U19F. ESPAÑA vs ESTADOS UNIDOS.- Torneo preparación mundial. Alcalá de Henares 12/07/23

Also, Spain 84 Australia 72 from earlier:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
YouTube/FIBA page
upcoming live streams
Egypt v Czech Republic 7/15/23, 8:15am
Mali v USA 7/15/23, 12:15pm

:D actually, upcoming games are listed in through 7/18/23, 2:45pm

Reaction Score
USA 75 Spain 58 to close the exhibitions. I wonder if Londynn Jones was trash talking Elena Buenavida and telling her that UCLA never needed her in the first place.

Australia 71 Canada 59 in the other game. I am not sure what a realistic free throw percentage is for Toby Fournier is by Fall 2024, but I might need @triaddukefan to suggest some stress-relieving game time snacks.

Reaction Score
USA 75 Spain 58 to close the exhibitions. I wonder if Londynn Jones was trash talking Elena Buenavida and telling her that UCLA never needed her in the first place.
UCLA got lucky Charisma Osborne and Cam Brown decided to take the extra Covid year. Otherwise the team would have only true guards Rice and Jones plus whatever guards it could have gotten via transfer this season. Buenavida would have been a good addition to the roster. She very much intended to play for UCLA as late as last July but didn‘t meet an admissions requirement. She then elected to become a paid professional.

Hey Nan - this thread seems to have wandered and perhaps is better placed on the General WBB board? Or maybe comment more on Ziebell. I’ll give it a go. Allie seemed more comfortable and active yesterday. I hope the coaching staff give her ample PT once the tournament starts for real.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Australia 71 Canada 59 in the other game. I am not sure what a realistic free throw percentage is for Toby Fournier is by Fall 2024, but I might need @triaddukefan to suggest some stress-relieving game time snacks.
So Fournier's back to clanking them again? She seemed to be getting better. Also makes me wonder what her prep coach, who is also an AC with the Canadian team has been working on with her. At least she has the upcoming OSBA season to get better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom