FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2023 to feature global premiere of an LED glass floor | The Boneyard

FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2023 to feature global premiere of an LED glass floor

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Could this be the future of college and professional basketball in the US?

MADRID (Spain) - There will be a striking new dimension to this year's edition of the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup with the first-ever use of an innovative glass flooring court in an official FIBA competition.

This exciting state-of-the-art surface will provide a fantastic opportunity for some of the best young female players and teams in the world to become the first to play on it at a flagship FIBA event.

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
I can’t envision this as being a good thing and I worry about injuries if this surface doesn’t have a little give to it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I can’t envision this as being a good thing and I worry about injuries if this surface doesn’t have a little give to it.
That was my initial reaction to this story as well. Last I checked, glass doesn't give. :confused: I played on a TILE (yeah, the same type of tile in your kitchen) floor once at a university in Louisiana in the early '70s. It didn't give or absorb sweat droplets either. When we arrived at the gym for our shooound, we were in awe that we were actually expected to play on that surface. :eek:

Last edited:

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
That was my initial reaction to this story as well. Last I checked, glass doesn't give. :confused: I played on a TILE (yeah, the same type of tile in your kitchen) floor once at a university in Louisiana in the early '70s. It didn't give or absorb sweat droplets either. When we arrived at the gym for our shooound, we were in awe that we were actually expected to play on that surface. :eek:
Yikes! I’ve often wondered if the less than giving gym surfaces in Europe and other areas explain some of the injuries of our FIBA U19 players.

Reaction Score
Uh-oh. Looks like the price of parking and minimum donations will be going up when the new court needs to be replaced in 20 or 30 years. Better start saving now.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Uh-oh. Looks like the price of parking and minimum donations will be going up when the new court needs to be replaced in 20 or 30 years. Better start saving now.
no no no

this was buried in the linked story:

'The LumiFlex court provided by ASB GlassFloor is a full video floor allowing for interactive applications as well as an enhanced show staging with additional options for advertising.'

this will be yet another product whose actual purpose is to make money.

Carnac

Reaction Score
no no no

this was buried in the linked story:

'The LumiFlex court provided by ASB GlassFloor is a full video floor allowing for interactive applications as well as an enhanced show staging with additional options for advertising.'

this will be yet another product whose actual purpose is to make money.
If/when a college or professional team installs a floor of this nature in its arena, wouldn’t you want to be among the first to advertise your product/service on it? :rolleyes: A floor like this will be the half-time entertainment complete with a plethora of advertisements. ;)

Reaction Score
The floor has been put into use already for 3x3 and pre-season competitions so far and it seems to have been received positive feedback.

Suspect there is more to the design of the floor that allows for some give. I'm reserving judgement until games are played to see how this works out.

sun

Reaction Score
This promotional video was made 3 years ago and they claim that it's more elastic & safer than most wood floors.
I guess one concern would be if the floor had a power failure during a game.

Reaction Score
This promotional video was made 3 years ago and they claim that it's more elastic & safer than most wood floors.
I guess one concern would be if the floor had a power failure during a game.

Thanks. Helps to clarify how it is designed. Had a feeling it wasn't rigid but the visual helps.

sun

Reaction Score
8 months ago, pro players provided very positive feedback about it.
One player felt that the surface is less slippery than wood.

Also about the previous video, someone asked about an LED failure, and the response was that the sub-floor LED can be replaced in a few minutes.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
There's more opinions by members of the other team that were made in German.
They mentioned that the ball possibly bounces slightly higher but they easily adjusted to it in their 2 practices.
Also mentioned was that the glass is etched for better traction and that the surface could be better to lessen impact/ concussion injuries.

A viewer needs to manually adjust the closed caption setting to English in this video unless you understand German.
Click on the gear icon to adjust the CC to English.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I want to watch the players, not the floor.
Noted.....but it is coming to an arena near you. Because it's another way to generate revenue!!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
How about the white sidelines and baselines getting a big red flashing spot when stepped on? :)

Reaction Score
A visual cyclops! See tennis for machines determining if shots are in or out of the court.

Could also be used for determining if a foot was on the three point line. Might reduce the number of official reviews.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom