FIBA U19 USA vs Australia. Video Link | The Boneyard

FIBA U19 USA vs Australia. Video Link

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Leads 25-20 at end of 1st Qtr.

Azzi with 5 Points on 2-5 Shooting. A couple of her shot attempts rimmed out of the basket.

Don't know who's going to win this game.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just checked the final box score. Azzi had 6 assists and only 1 turnover! That was tops on the team except for Caitlin Clark with 7 assists (in 34 minutes rather than Azzi's 27), but Clark also had 4 turnovers. Azzi also had 3 rebounds, 2 steals, and 1 block.

Not a bad performance in a game where you can't buy a 3-point shot (she was 1-for-5 on 3-point attempts).

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is other-worldly. Her shots from distance are so sure it's really breath taking. She's ultra-hyper, running constantly while pointing out where everyone should be (ergo: "point" guard). Iowa fans are in for a treat having a player who by herself is worth the price of admission. The second coming of the Divine Sabrina.

Reaction Score
I'm aware that Verlust and Citron occasionally play the three, but they essentially have seven players rotating at the four and five and four rotating at the point and the two wings. Very unbalanced roster; apparently the 12th player is injured or ill? Wolfenbarger and DeBerry will have a hard time finding anything but mop up minutes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is other-worldly. Her shots from distance are so sure it's really breath taking. She's ultra-hyper, running constantly while pointing out where everyone should be (ergo: "point" guard). Iowa fans are in for a treat having a player who by herself is worth the price of admission. The second coming of the Divine Sabrina.

As you say, Caitlin plays at one "hyper" speed which unfortunately for me reduces the enjoyment I get. I understand there is an adrenaline surge for the fans when she hits multiple 35' shots or drives hard in traffic but for me, it turns to annoyance (for me and maybe the coaches?) that she is often 'hogging' the ball or taking a ridiculously quick shot when other options for her teammates are already open or can be developed. It is one thing when you are head and shoulders the best player on your team (like Iowa?) but not so much U19 where all your teammates have alot of skill and can get quality shots.

I personally enjoy the change of pace, the well thought out use of screens and movement etc Caitlin is an uninhibited force of nature that has incredible range which distorts a defense and opens up lots of opportunities but will also take alot of risks which can often come at bad times and again hurts to watch especially keeping in mind that she is a fundamentally good passer

I think Sabrina is much closer to Paige than Caitlin. Sabrina is far closer to my pass first ideal and has an excellent change of pace game but is probably a little more shot aggressive than Paige is and maybe closer to Geno's optimum. In a sense, Geno probably wants Paige to get some of Caitlin's mindset but not me, Paige is the purest unselfish basketball player I have ever seen and as Geno has said, it is that part that translates when you see her on TV (at least to some of us)

Reaction Score
As you say, Caitlin plays at one "hyper" speed which unfortunately for me reduces the enjoyment I get. I understand there is an adrenaline surge for the fans when she hits multiple 35' shots or drives hard in traffic but for me, it turns to annoyance (for me and maybe the coaches?) that she is often 'hogging' the ball or taking a ridiculously quick shot when other options for her teammates are already open or can be developed. It is one thing when you are head and shoulders the best player on your team (like Iowa?) but not so much U19 where all your teammates have alot of skill and can get quality shots.

I personally enjoy the change of pace, the well thought out use of screens and movement etc Caitlin is an uninhibited force of nature that has incredible range which distorts a defense and opens up lots of opportunities but will also take alot of risks which can often come at bad times and again hurts to watch especially keeping in mind that she is a fundamentally good passer

I think Sabrina is much closer to Paige than Caitlin. Sabrina is far closer to my pass first ideal and has an excellent change of pace game but is probably a little more shot aggressive than Paige is and maybe closer to Geno's optimum. In a sense, Geno probably wants Paige to get some of Caitlin's mindset but not me, Paige is the purest unselfish basketball player I have ever seen and as Geno has said, it is that part that translates when you see her on TV (at least to some of us)
I always think that Caitlin and Sabrina have similar styles of play. They are strong and like to shoot a lot of three with little mid-range game.

Reaction Score

I'm confident that Geno will stop insisting that Bueckers shoot more now that he has a better option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom