Fiba opinion column: Stewart "top of my list" of players to see | The Boneyard

Fiba opinion column: Stewart "top of my list" of players to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"Top of my list will be seeing Breanna Stewart live and ‘in the flesh’ for the first time, because television cameras just don’t do justice compared to the real thing and I prefer to look at what happens off the ball, or on the bench too, for example."

Good rundown of some of the top players in the U19.

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's a scary thought - Bree already combines the post defense and moves around the basket of Parker with the ball handling and shooting of EDD. I realize she's not as strong as Parker nor as great a shooter as EDD, but combining some of the best SKILLS of those 2 makes for an insane and unique player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The author, who really wants to see Stewie, is based in Europe. She has international recognition already.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The author, who really wants to see Stewie, is based in Europe. She has international recognition already.
This like her 5th or 6th USA team isn't it! She has been beating up on the world already.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Good rundown of some of the top players in the U19.

LINK
The top U19 players not from the USA (mostly). Breanna is the only US player he mentions in the article, but he cites 2 Aussies, 2 French women, a Spaniard, and a Serbian. We'll see who he mentions after the tournament. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The top U19 players not from the USA (mostly). Breanna is the only US player he mentions in the article, but he cites 2 Aussies, 2 French women, a Spaniard, and a Serbian. We'll see who he mentions after the tournament. ;)

He is a European writer that is to be expected.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And Breanna really is the highest profile player on the US team, and has gotten the most international press with all the other USA teams she has been on. A number of the other players he listed have already started their pro careers and/or have been getting publicity from other international tournaments played in the last 6 months.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Not surprising for someone who follows EuroBB. If he doesn't know Stewart it's a pretty safe bet he doesn't know any of the other U.S. players.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not surprising for someone who follows EuroBB. If he doesn't know Stewart it's a pretty safe bet he doesn't know any of the other U.S. players.
He follows international BB though, and as the article states, he is excited to see Stewart, only having seen her on the telly thus far.

"Top of my list will be seeing Breanna Stewart live and ‘in the flesh’ for the first time, because television cameras just don’t do justice compared to the real thing and I prefer to look at what happens off the ball, or on the bench too, for example."

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've watched the NCAA ND game on TV a bunch of times and I've seen all I need to see to evaluate BS's greatness.

Reaction Score
Here's a scary thought - Bree already combines the post defense and moves around the basket of Parker with the ball handling and shooting of EDD. I realize she's not as strong as Parker nor as great a shooter as EDD, but combining some of the best SKILLS of those 2 makes for an insane and unique player.

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself when comparing Bree to Parker and EDD. Don't forget, Stewart was pretty average for most of the season. I'd like to see her perform like she did in the post season for an extended period of time before proclaiming her greatness.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself when comparing Bree to Parker and EDD. Don't forget, Stewart was pretty average for most of the season. I'd like to see her perform like she did in the post season for an extended period of time before proclaiming her greatness.
I expect all you will have to do is watch 40 or so games next season.

U

UCONNfan1

Not if you compare them all at the same time in college. The point being that Ms. Stewart is more talented than Ms. Parker or Ms. Delledonne as they entered their sophomore years. And I would agree if anyone were to say Ms. Stewart has a higher ceiling.

And I would disagree that she was "pretty much average for most of the season". She scored more points than Maya Moore over her 1st 10 games. Then she did go into a 20 game slump. But even at that point she was averaging over 10 PPG which is phenomenal for a freshman on the best team in the nation... And she was still at that point the #2 or 3 scorer on the team...

Reaction Score
Any more of these games scheduled for television viewable in the USA?

Reaction Score
And I would disagree that she was "pretty much average for most of the season". She scored more points than Maya Moore over her 1st 10 games. Then she did go into a 20 game slump. But even at that point she was averaging over 10 PPG which is phenomenal for a freshman on the best team in the nation... And she was still at that point the #2 or 3 scorer on the team...

That's a little simplistic. You can't just look at season-long stats, you have to look on a game-by-game basis. She was awful in both the first and second Notre Dame games, got off the bench for all of 7 minutes (doing absolutely nothing) in the Baylor game, and wasn't great either in the only other close game we played before March, against St. John's.

She looked like a deer in the headlights and there were serious questions about her mental makeup and toughness.

And then she went and proved all the doubters wrong.

But that doesn't change the fact that people had legitimate, serious doubts before her breakout performance in the NCAAT.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

At this stage in their careers, Stewart has accomplished more in her career than either Parker or EDD.

Her performances in HS and on USA basketball plus her game against ND in the BE tourney and her NCAA tourney have been always the best of the players she plays with and against, no matter the age difference.

I don't think we have to wait, but feel free to do so. She is great.

Reaction Score
That's a little simplistic. You can't just look at season-long stats, you have to look on a game-by-game basis. She was awful in both the first and second Notre Dame games, got off the bench for all of 7 minutes (doing absolutely nothing) in the Baylor game, and wasn't great either in the only other close game we played before March, against St. John's.

She looked like a deer in the headlights and there were serious questions about her mental makeup and toughness.

And then she went and proved all the doubters wrong.

But that doesn't change the fact that people had legitimate, serious doubts before her breakout performance in the NCAAT.
It was pretty apparent that she had a confidence problem and I'd venture to say that this is behind her now. She was apparently thinking too much and letting a bad play or two get to her. She changed her mindset as the regular season ended and you know the rest. There's really very little that she can't do on the court and all she needed was just play loose. I doubt you'll ever see that type of slump or lack of confidence again. That's not to say she might not have an off day but I think her "off days" will be better than most players "on days". I think if someone were to research Della Donne or Parkers first season, they might see some "off days" as well. She's a special player and the sky is the limit for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom