Few things I liked and disliked | The Boneyard

Few things I liked and disliked

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Liked:

1. Defensive adjustments. When UVA dinked and dunked our soft zone to death in the early stages, I was worried we would play bend but don't break the entire game. Fortunately, Poindexter adjusted beautifully vs. a tame WR core and started playing more press. The result was essentially suffocating their offense until the last drive of the 4th quarter, and we should have had a pick 6 to show for it as well. Poindexter is the single biggest reason we won this game.

2. Overall athleticism. Yes, UVA is down but we still looked a bit more athletic than mostly 3 and 4 star players. Player development is back.

3. Pass defense, minus the safties. We got largely torched by Navy's backup QV and one of the worst QB's in all of the FCS, so of course we looked good vs. a solid ACC QB. Glad to see the corners have a good game.

4. Special teams. Poindexter might be the biggest reason UConn won, but special teams are the biggest reason UVA lost. Their punter killed them all game and prevented the hoos from having more control early despite UVA massively outplaying us. Also, Puyol vs. some D3 soccer player is completely unfair. Even with the clownshow "strategy' regarding punt returns, UConn is above average on special teams.

5. Usual suspects. Thomas and Newsome are terrific players. Shame we do not get the ball in their hands more.

Lots to dislike, too.

1. Ron Johnson. He is not a good runner, not a good receiver out of the backfield, cannot block to save his life, and frankly should not be seeing regular minutes for an FBS school. I get that UConn is thin at RB but there is no excuse to give a player like Johnson so many touches; touches that could be used to feed Newsome, Thomas, our tight ends, etc. The play in the first half when he should have rammed it into the end zone (or at least a first down to the 1 yard line, there was SOME push on that play) but bounced it to the outside was devastating. He is not good enough to play regular minutes.

2. Offensive Line. Everyone is harping on this, so I do not need to describe how painful they are. Anyone criticizing Shireffs for having happy feet have absurdly high expectations for what they expect a solid FBS quarterback to do.

3. Lack of a pass rush. One of our blitzes resulted in a nice sack, but for the most part, we could not even pressure their QB despite 42 passing attempts. Everyone deserves blame, especially the DE's. This is going to kill us later in the year.

4. Safties. 4th down play aside, UVA could not exploit them deep because of their mediocre WR corps. Against better teams, they will get torched with the lack of pressure doing no favors. I would not mind seeing a healthy dise of safety blitzes...maybe they can help generate pressure?

5. Clock management. I am less concerned with the 2nd down pass attempt in the 4th quarter, even though I would have played it safe there, and more concerned with the playcalling at the end of the first half that got Shireffs sacked for no reason. What the hell was that? I also would have taken the air out of the ball on 3rd and long on the drive prior. Why can't Diaco delegate clock management? As an aside, it was nice to see wasted early time outs kill another team in the end for a change. Thanks, Mendenhall!

6. Lack of the use of tight ends. There needs to be more quick hitters to Bloom, Myers, etc. The long developing passing plays....actually do sometimes work because they seem well designed and Thomas is a great route runner, but sadly we do not have the OL to run these as often as we do. Feed the tight ends, please.

We are not good. Fortunately, there is talent on the roster to work with and grow, and they are playing better than they did week 1. Against this horrible schedule a bowl game is possible even with minimal growth, but they need to beat Syracuse next week.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I wish there was a pill to increase overall team speed. That would cure many of our ills.

It seems like so many of our games look like we and our opponent are playing on sand.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Our defense is generally good, but we have the occasional mental lapse on 3rd and long, and that almost burned us yesterday. Noel Thomas is a beast, and we need to get him more involved. I also like Johnson more than Newsome; he's stronger and is decently fast himself. I don't mind Sherriffs running, but he needs to make sure he never takes a loss when doing so. Our offensive game plan in the 2nd half vs. Navy was good, and we need to replicate that vs. Syracuse. In fact, if Sheriffs is pretty good at the 2-minute drill, run it the whole game.

Reaction Score
Terry Richardson.

I cannot type that we have regressed on the OLine from last year. There were some notable gaffe's. But, I see a semblance of play that is - marginally - better than last year. To date, none of our 3 opponents have really exploited this developing line. I don't see Crozier or Peart falling behind - in fact, my eyes go to the other 3 as issues on a host of plays. Shirreffs - I love him - but I really think he is off & running far too early on lots of plays. Just a quick look up - there will be someone open. And HE absolutely targets #5 often. Never Myers - who can play. And, now we see Mayala has great hands and other skills; mix in McLean & Beals.

I start with Richardson because I believe our RBs are underwhelming versus 5-8 years ago. You say OLine - I say they don't get into the hole fast. Todman didn't need much; and we remember guy after guy who could play out of that RB position. Neither Newsome or RJohnson seem to be consistently there. Under Diaco et al, however, they really don't fumble or turn it over. The bad pitch just doesn't happen much.

As for our number one goal ... making more folks want to go to Rentschler, I would say that we are woefully not providing Value for the dollar. It has been good to watch develop over 3 year; however, the takeaway from yesterday is wheewww - but frustrated.

Reaction Score
Outside of two carries, Johnson has been more effective than newsome this year.
but he is a terrible blocker. He totally whiffs way too many times and leads to busted plays.

#9, for UVA had his way with Levy this game. Levy has been a disappointment through 3 games thus far. Needs to be more physical.

Reaction Score
Fuller of the NH Register focused on #71 Levy and I am too. I think the MOST notable fails of this game were his. Maybe #9 of UVA is a SUPERSTAR; ok ... but Levy has underwhelmed in previous weeks as well. Maybe Rutherford played better than expected & you find Hopkins returns ... and replaces.

Reaction Score
Think I am correct on this: Arkeel had two good runs when it was shotgun and he was lined up next to QB. This was like the old FHCRE offensive sets with Todman, etc. Enables runner to hit hole quickly (vs being back 7 yards) and before 2nd line of defense can close up holes. Johnson has some straight away speed, very little balance on lower hits and goes down easily, would rather slide at line rather than hit the hole hard, misreads cuts or delays them to point where it's just not effective due to defense closing in on play. Not being a good pass blocker should put him on the bench. If there is no 3rd legit option at running back, bad recruiting.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All we heard all off season was TEs TEs TEs. The position has what like 5 catches through 3 games? Is Tommy still recovering?

Reaction Score
5. Usual suspects. Thomas and Newsome are terrific players. Shame we do not get the ball in their hands more.

Lots to dislike, too.

1. Ron Johnson. He is not a good runner, not a good receiver out of the backfield, cannot block to save his life, and frankly should not be seeing regular minutes for an FBS school. I get that UConn is thin at RB but there is no excuse to give a player like Johnson so many touches; touches that could be used to feed Newsome, Thomas, our tight ends, etc. The play in the first half when he should have rammed it into the end zone (or at least a first down to the 1 yard line, there was SOME push on that play) but bounced it to the outside was devastating. He is not good enough to play regular minutes.

We are not good. Fortunately, there is talent on the roster to work with and grow, and they are playing better than they did week 1. Against this horrible schedule a bowl game is possible even with minimal growth, but they need to beat Syracuse next week.

Noel Thomas is averaging over 8 catches a game. First 2 games we were basically forcefeeding him the ball. I think we're doing a good job of getting him the ball.

I don't really disagree with your thoughts on Ron Johnson. But he's outproduced Newsome so far, and I don't think giving Newsome significantly more carries is the answer. Would like them to find more creative ways to get him the ball through the air though.

Reaction Score
but he is a terrible blocker. He totally whiffs way too many times and leads to busted plays.

#9, for UVA had his way with Levy this game. Levy has been a disappointment through 3 games thus far. Needs to be more physical.
Levy is a turn style.

Reaction Score
The antidotes to a porous O line are quick hitting slant passes to a slot receiver or tight end. Then the passing game can set up the delayed draw.
And as for UVA scaring us at the end with that long 4th down pass over the middle, when asked, one of our D players laughed when I said it was completed because Diaco doesn't practice defending against a pass he'd ever let us throw.

Reaction Score
The antidotes to a porous O line are quick hitting slant passes to a slot receiver or tight end. Then the passing game can set up the delayed draw.
And as for UVA scaring us at the end with that long 4th down pass over the middle, when asked, one of our D players laughed when I said it was completed because Diaco doesn't practice defending against a pass he'd ever let us throw.

Thank you! But yet we average like one pass per game to our TE's!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yep. What the hell is up with that?
Nope, not gonna use them, though they were mo sters last year. Don't wanna tip our hand. Yuk

Reaction Score
Yep. What the hell is up with that?
Nope, not gonna use them, though they were mo sters last year. Don't wanna tip our hand. Yuk

This has to be part of Diacos master plan not to open up the playbook before conference play! Our opponents will NEVER suspect it! LOL

Reaction Score
Think I am correct on this: Arkeel had two good runs when it was shotgun and he was lined up next to QB. This was like the old FHCRE offensive sets with Todman, etc. Enables runner to hit hole quickly (vs being back 7 yards) and before 2nd line of defense can close up holes. Johnson has some straight away speed, very little balance on lower hits and goes down easily, would rather slide at line rather than hit the hole hard, misreads cuts or delays them to point where it's just not effective due to defense closing in on play. Not being a good pass blocker should put him on the bench. If there is no 3rd legit option at running back, bad recruiting.
I think 90% of our plays should be from the shotgun.

Reaction Score
If we stay in the shotgun maybe our QB can settle down a bit and improve his vision. A few glaring open receivers were missed in favor of early bailouts or focusing on one guy. Right now he's pressing a bit but that comes from being under pressure and playing from behind because of our early game strategery. I also worry that if he gets his bell rung he's gonna keep it to himself. Seen a couple of hits that could fall under that category. He's a warrior.

Reaction Score
All we heard all off season was TEs TEs TEs. The position has what like 5 catches through 3 games? Is Tommy still recovering?

FYI (cause I was looking @ total plays) -- TE Receptions NOT Targets through 3 games - Davis (5), Bloom (3) and Meyers (1).

Player -- Gms -- Receptions
Thomas, Noel 3 26
Mayala, Hergy 3 7
Johnson, Ron 3 6
Davis, Tyler 3 5
Bloom, Alec 3 3
Newsome, Arkeel 3 2
McLean, Aaron 3 1
Lemelle, Brian 3 1
Myers, Tommy 3 1
Beals, Tyraiq 3 1

Reaction Score
Newsome needs to be more involved in the offense, especially in the passing game. Even if that means putting he and Johnson on the field together. He is a better all-around back then RJ. Some people won't agree with that but how many times did he cut a blitzing LB yesterday. RJ was a matador. If you go back and look at RJ's "burst" plays, they often happen because he doesn't hit the hole. He always looks to bounce it, especially in short yardage situations. He's 225 Lbs. I believe Newsome has been ineffective, up until yesterday, for two reasons. One, he's nursing an injury and is trying to play through it, which HCBD eluded to during the week. We saw some of the burst he capable of yesterday when the OLine gave him lanes to run in. Two, it's almost impossible with this OLine, ten guys in the box, and predictable play calling to get him space to run. How many plays have we seen him handed the ball and two defenders meet him three yards behind the LOS? Furthermore, he has to be a receiving threat. Not just on screens, get him in the slot and allow him to run routes.but that's not going to happen because the OLine always needs to be in max protection. Look, I think RJ and AK can both get their touches and be productive. But until we show a vertical threat in the passing game and the OLine can win at the LOS without miscommunications and help from TEs, , and/or H's, there's no one to block second level defenders from selling out on the run and filling running lanes.

Reaction Score
If we stay in the shotgun maybe our QB can settle down a bit and improve his vision. A few glaring open receivers were missed in favor of early bailouts or focusing on one guy. Right now he's pressing a bit but that comes from being under pressure and playing from behind because of our early game strategery. I also worry that if he gets his bell rung he's gonna keep it to himself. Seen a couple of hits that could fall under that category. He's a warrior.
We have an early game strategy? Who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom