Fever @ Sun - 7/30/17 | The Boneyard

Fever @ Sun - 7/30/17

Reaction Score
Connecticut is a very dangerous team. I could see them getting hot and knocking off NY, Phoenix or Washington easily. They have had an incredible turn around season. From 9th last year to 3rd, they have been really impressive.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Connecticut is a very dangerous team. I could see them getting hot and knocking off NY, Phoenix or Washington easily. They have had an incredible turn around season. From 9th last year to 3rd, they have been really impressive.

They dont need to get hot to knock off NY.... they are already a superior team. Phx and DC would be formidable though.

Reaction Score
They dont need to get hot to knock off NY.... they are already a superior team. Phx and DC would be formidable though.
No real argument here. I just think NY has not played to their potential this year. A NY at its best is just as good as Phx and possibly DC.

Reaction Score
Early on in this game, I said to my wife, "Indiana has no answer for either Jonquel Jones or Alyssa Thomas." JJ had 14 points and 12 rebounds. Alyssa Thomas just filled up the whole stat sheet. We might be having a quadruple double watch on her in some game. And the whole team played great defense. Watching the game was a lot like watching a UConn blowout. I like not having to worry about the outcome and being able to just sit back and watch the artistry. Miller is a really good coach. I can see why Geno recommended him.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This was a beat down until the 4th when Miller cleared the bench. I think the Sun were up by 38 at one point and kind of lost focus. The Fever didn't look very motivated tonight. I guess they're ready to lock up a lottery pick. No Dupree tonight and no Johnson for the rest of the season.

Typical of the Sun, the scoring was balanced, JJ got the dub-dub, lots of steals (10), and the Thomas' drove the pace. Of note, Stricklen continues to struggle from the 3. Alex Bentley played very well on both ends... 50% from the field including 3-4 from 3, 3 rb and 4 assists.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Since her July 12th performance against the Storm (7-10 from the 3), Shekinna has gone 4-19 (21%) through 5 games. Her hot streak started when Tuck went out and ended when Tuck returned (Morgan appeared briefly (5 minutes) in Strick's 7-10 game.

Career through 2016 = 35.1%
Before Tuck injury = 33.3%
During Tuck's absence = 44.1%
Since Seattle game = 21.1%

So - is it just regression to the mean after an anomalous (and fortuitously timed) hot streak?
Is she feeling the pressure of possibly going back to the bench role? IIRC, Tuck was the Sun's leading scorer when she got hurt.
Something else??

Whatever the reason, and as good as the Sun are at the moment, they need a reliable 3 point bomber at the SF to be at their very best against the very best. That threat makes every other thing they do well work better. Whether that is Strick or Morgan, it changes the way defenses play - spreds the D out, fewer double/triple teams on JJ, more O boards, more room in the mid-range for Courtney, and more space inside for the Thomas' to slash. Fortunately they are still giving Strick tons of residual respect when she's roaming the arc. We still have 3 games against Phoenix, 1 against Washington and 1 against LA (and 6 others) that will have an enormous impact on the final standings. That's a long, difficult grind and the Sun will need all cylinders firing to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Since her July 12th performance against the Storm (7-10 from the 3), Shekinna has gone 4-19 (21%) through 5 games. Her hot streak started when Tuck went out and ended when Tuck returned (Morgan appeared briefly (5 minutes) in Strick's 7-10 game.

Career through 2016 = 35.1%
Before Tuck injury = 33.3%
During Tuck's absence = 44.1%
Since Seattle game = 21.1%

So - is it just regression to the mean after an anomalous (and fortuitously timed) hot streak?
Is she feeling the pressure of possibly going back to the bench role? IIRC, Tuck was the Sun's leading scorer when she got hurt.
Something else??

Whatever the reason, and as good as the Sun are at the moment, they need a reliable 3 point bomber at the SF to be at their very best against the very best. That threat makes every other thing they do well work better. Whether that is Strick or Morgan, it changes the way defenses play - spreds the D out, fewer double/triple teams on JJ, more O boards, more room in the mid-range for Courtney, and more space inside for the Thomas' to slash. Fortunately they are still giving Strick tons of residual respect when she's roaming the arc. We still have 3 games against Phoenix, 1 against Washington and 1 against LA (and 6 others) that will have an enormous impact on the final standings. That's a long, difficult grind and the Sun will need all cylinders firing to make a deep run in the playoffs.
One of the reasons she has been struggling is definitely the residual respect you spoke of. In yesterday's game, you could see that the shots she was taking were more contested than before the big game against Seattle. I think if the other teams start to sag down again to stop JJ and A. Thomas, she will be more open and start to hit a higher percentage. The shots still look pretty good. She may be thinking a little too much and therefore being a little tentative, but the stroke is still there. I think she'll be alright. Morgan needs to get her touch back, though. She is looking very fit these days (is it ok to say that about a woman?) but needs more time at game speed.

The reality is that they are very potent and fun to watch right now, but they need to improve to be a championship caliber team. Watching LA and Minnesota yesterday, you could see how strong both of those teams can look. But the Sun's progress has been so astronomical, I think we need to be a little patient while they get to that next level and just enjoy the ride.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom