Felt good loss | The Boneyard

Felt good loss

Reaction Score
Not moral victory speech, but this loss really should make us feel good.
Lots of things went wrong for us, and lots of things right for Jayhawks to avoid a loss.

Against us:
  • a very loud, hostile environment, we can see why it’s tough to get a win there.
  • no Castle
  • Spencer got hurt early and not himself even thou he played thru.
  • Karaban did not show up, and made a bone head foul and got him fouled out when it is one possession game. He may have made the shot instead of injured Spencer if he had stayed in.

• again, make FT. We could’ve won if we made 75% of FTs
  • A couple critical calls did not go our way. The out of bound ball was tipped by Dickinson, not Clingan. The foul on Karaban on the lob. ‘Nuff said.

• Dickinson made 3 3 pointers
  • McCluar guy made 2 straight corner 3 at the end of game.

Regroup, get healthy, and keep your head up, Huskies! We will be scary good coming March!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is amazing at how mismatched a first half could be, on the road, against a Top 5 team, and UConn was only down 7 at halftime. UConn absolutely sucked for 20 minutes, at Kansas, and was still in the game at halftime. That was the grittiest I have seen a UConn team play in a long time. Respect.

Reaction Score
We simply don't lose that game without Castle. I am sure of it. On top of that half a Cam Spencer after rolling an ankle
Hurley said it best, it was like we won the lottery being down only 7 after that first half. Respect to Newton for carrying us through that game. Wish he was on the end of that look at the very end for 3.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
At halftime my wife commented that I was abnormally calm for a big game that UConn was losing. I told her I didn't know which team would when the game but that I had seen enough to know UConn was the better team. No one can predict injuries but a fully healthy UConn is better that a fully healthy Kansas.

Reaction Score
As long as there are no long term effects for Cam or Donovan, i'm fine with this.
We weren't going to go undefeated this season, despite our wishes. Even the best, most talented, best coached teams lose in the regular season....especially away at a top 5 opponent. Everything that could have gone wrong, from the choice of refs, to injuries, to gameplan, and we had an open shot with 3 seconds left to win.

If Cam, DC, and Steph are ready to go in Feb/March, we'll be one of maybe 5 teams that have a chance at doing what we want to do.

It doesn't feel good, but it also doesn't feel all that bad.

Reaction Score
We took the lead in the second half. We did something right. Hard to overcome poor shooting and suspect calls and a hostile environment.

Dickerson had a ball go out of bounds in the first have, the refs didn't run to the monitor on that play.

It was a game on the road, I get it, but up by 5 with under 9 minutes to play we had a chance to win this game and that alone made me feel just a tad bit better.

Not a bad loss. Teams need adversity to build on and also get ready for a tournament run.

Reaction Score
Castle is unproven in that environment especially this early. To me he was not the missing piece.

It was up to the upperclassmen to win this game and they almost did.
Castle changes the whole dynamic of the group on the floor. He has to be worth 5-7 points minimum in terms of finding a shooter, tipping a pass etc. Put another way, UConn is better every second Castle is on the court instead of say Diarra.

Castle absolutely IS the missing piece as his presence frees things up for others AND creates opportunities.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I hate the idea of moral victories. The best teams don't have them. We had opportunities to finish them off and didn't make enough plays to get the job done.

That being said, if we can get Castle back and keep everyone else healthy, I think we're the best team in the country. I'd like to see some better three point shooting, but we play defense at a high level, have terrific ball movement, and we have two guards that can get buckets and distribute. Tristen Newton in particular has been incredible. I have to imagine the drumbeat for him as an All-American is only going to get louder and louder.

Reaction Score
Every player hit their comfortable place at different times. Newton got his early. Most of the team caught on much later. Hard place to play. Kudos to the KU fans.

Tip the hat to the Phog. Now come to Gampel.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Every player hit their comfortable place at different times. Newton got his early. Most of the team caught on much later. Hard place to play. Kudos to the KU fans.

Tip the hat to the Phog. Now come to Gampel.
I'm not sure AK did. Not worried about him in the long run, but the last 2 games haven't been good.

Reaction Score
So instead of getting our 25th straight non-conf double-digit win, we lost a non-conf game we had double-digit chances to win. In the end we lost because we were playing injured and exhausted after outscoring them 28-11 to turn a 12-pt deficit into a 5-pt lead.

Reaction Score
I watched the Kansas post game on Espn+ and they said that's the best KU has played this year, especially on D....so we took their best shot in a hostile environmnet w/o Castle & a very impaired Spencer and game was right there to win.

Hard to feel too bad, it was a missed opportunity to post a great road win but fully healthy we're the better team....so hopefully we get fully healthy soon and stay that way. The UNC game at MSG on Tuesday is huge so rest up boys....a loss on Tues would feel much worse so let's win!

Reaction Score
Besides Newton they didn't play very well. No Castle. And winning at AFH is really tough. Really, really tough according to this. All that and they had a chance to win at the end. Huskies will be fine.

The win marked the 13th time in coach Bill Self's 21-year tenure that Kansas has played a top-10 team at home that was ranked higher than the Jayhawks. KU has won all 13 games.

That's pretty crazy.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Not upset about the loss. They were in the game at the half after playing terribly. Had a shot to win the game. Even Greenberg in the post game analysis mentioned UConn is a legit Final 4 team and Kansas has work to do and needs to find a third scorer. Not often do you hear a more critical analysis of the winning team after a game.

Reaction Score
McCluar guy made 2 straight corner 3 at the end of game.
According to this it was 3 in the last 6 minutes. Wondering what he was shooting from three before last night. Don't want to bother looking it up.

After falling behind 52-47 with 9:09 remaining, Kansas used an 14-2 run over the next five minutes to regain control. Spearheading the late charge was McCullar, who hit three 3-pointers over the game's final six minutes.

Reaction Score
The win marked the 13th time in coach Bill Self's 21-year tenure that Kansas has played a top-10 team at home that was ranked higher than the Jayhawks. KU has won all 13 games.

That's pretty crazy.

That's more due to home officiating than to Self's coaching. I wouldn't put too much merit into that stat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's more due to home officiating than to Self's coaching. I wouldn't put too much merit into that stat.
Nonsense. If we made a few free throws we win this. But the fans factor in missing those.

Reaction Score
According to this it was 3 in the last 6 minutes. Wondering what he was shooting from three before last night. Don't want to bother looking it up.

After falling behind 52-47 with 9:09 remaining, Kansas used an 14-2 run over the next five minutes to regain control. Spearheading the late charge was McCullar, who hit three 3-pointers over the game's final six minutes.

8-27 (29.6%)

Reaction Score
Besides Newton they didn't play very well. No Castle. And winning at AFH is really tough. Really, really tough according to this. All that and they had a chance to win at the end. Huskies will be fine.

That's pretty crazy.

Let me re-state that.

Kansas is 13-0 at home when facing a top 10 team ranked higher than they are. That is unfathomable.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure AK did. Not worried about him in the long run, but the last 2 games haven't been good.

He had 3 in the first half. 7 in the second half. He played better in the second half and just got caught in foul trouble.

The one thing I’ll say about Alex is he needs to be more aggressive and draw more fouls. You’re not wrong. I think he’s been playing a little softer the last few games.

Reaction Score
Obviously not a UConn fan, but I have no doubt that they are the better team. Other than Newton, no one played particularly well while most Kansas players were at least what was expected of them. Watching KU against Marquette and UConn has convinced me that they would have at least 6 or 7 losses in the Big East, and may end up that way in the Big 12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom