Federal law possibly violated in UConn/Calhoun case | The Boneyard

Federal law possibly violated in UConn/Calhoun case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL, this comes out now?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA's case was based on payment for that surgery. That and phone calls. Was there anything else amiss?

Reaction Score
And with the flurry of tweets, people will see "UConn ... federal laws broken", and without reading the story, they won't know it's the doctors that broke the law, and they'll assume JC and UConn are now criminals. This shouldn't reflect on UC in any way, but people will think it does.

Reaction Score
Seems while the NCAA investigators weren't the ones to actually break the law, the place was, it was highly unethical at the least. I can't believe btw that the place did this. HIPAA, the healthcare insurance portability and accountability act was designed to make communication easier between medical entities that had legal right to a patients medical information. Like between an insurance company and your doctor. But the trade off for that easing of restrictions was implementation of some pretty severe penalties if you violated that. Those laws are hammered home to anyone working the medical field. I'm staggered that the bone and joint center's lawyers would have authorized them speaking to the NCAA in clear violation of the privacy act of 1974 and clearly would subject them to HIPAA violations.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
So wait... the NCAA punished OUR program for "failing to create an atmosphere of compliance?"

That's so @ss-backwards it makes my head hurt

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath waiting for any acknowledgement from the NCAA.

"An NCAA spokesman said the association would have no comment. This latest information comes less than a month after the NCAA's release of its external review of enforcement procedures in the Miami case."

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Seems while the NCAA investigators weren't the ones to actually break the law, the place was, it was highly unethical at the least. I can't believe btw that the place did this. HIPAA, the healthcare insurance portability and accountability act was designed to make communication easier between medical entities that had legal right to a patients medical information. Like between an insurance company and your doctor. But the trade off for that easing of restrictions was implementation of some pretty severe penalties if you violated that. Those laws are hammered home to anyone working the medical field. I'm staggered that the bone and joint center's lawyers would have authorized them speaking to the NCAA in clear violation of the privacy act of 1974 and clearly would subject them to HIPAA violations.

So, are you saying the NCAA paid him to violate the law?

D

Deleted member 3149

pretty sick of hearing about Nate Miles. If he was the next LeBron James...then ok. But he wasn't. He was on the lower end of the 4 star spectrum.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
this is actually pretty old news, it's just that nobody except one reporter from the NYT (of all places) cared enough to report.

it just didn't fit their agenda at the time

Reaction Score
So, are you saying the NCAA paid him to violate the law?

Minimum the investigator induced the joint place to violate federal law. Lawyers chime in on how this all works? Blaw? Excalibur?

Reaction Score
why wasn't the issue of the doctors violating federal law brought up when it first appeared in the Yahoo story? they informed Wetzel and Wojo of the surgery way back then, NCAA wouldn't have known anything if not for that story.

Reaction Score
So then does that mean that we were punished for the following 2 items regarding the Nate Miles situation:

1. Impermissable Benefits received, however Federal Laws were broken to get this info
2. Sent too many texts to Nate Miles. This rule has since been completely removed from the NCAA.

So in summary the NCAA is a completely hypocritical corrupt organization that exploits 18 yr olds to make millions? Am I missing anything?

Reaction Score
In the Miami case, they actually gave cash to the lawyer to come by the info. Chances are probably 50/50 the doctor got paid as well.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Honestly the last thing I want is some inducement for Nate Miles to start talking to people. God only knows what would come out.
I'm a firm believer that this was all way overblown, but I just don't want to give it a chance to come back up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
NCAA is on the hot seat because of recent mess ups with Mohammed and Miami. Just a reporter cashing in on public interest by piling in on the NCAA. There is no attempt to explain the real injustice in the process. These are the events imo:

Nochimson was culprit #1 in this process by making the surgical payments and trying to become Miles agent. JC was distancing himself from Nochimson before or at the time these events were taking place. For those with good memories, recall prior to the Miles fiasco, Rip was cheated by Nochimson. There was no way on earth JC would deal with someone who cheated one of his players.

JC went to the AD's compliance department to report problems. Unfortunately Hathaway reduced the compliance department personnel. In essence Hathaway controlled the compliance department. Hathaway was culprit #2 in this fiasco. He hated JC and not only did he block attempts to get a legal team to begin contacting the NCAA about Nochimson, he put the nail in the coffin when he made the statement at the NCAA hearing "he never saw JC attempt to recruit a player harder". This statement not only was an outright lie, but even if that couldn't be proven, an impartial NCAA would have questioned Hathaway about his knowledge of recruitment.

It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that an AD has no way of knowing the process coaches are involved with in recruiting players to determine if Miles was indeed recruited the hardest of any of JC's recrutits. Unfortunately for JC, two things went against him. First he appeared frequently at Hathaways office regarding Miles. The fact that it was to get help to deal with compliance was not documented. All the secretary heard was JC was there to see JH about Miles. Therefore it appeared to validate Hathaway. Second, the texts which were sent to get Nochimson to stay away from Miles, appeared to be doing just the opposite. The NCAA only reports contact with Nochimson, not what the texts state. It was the evidence culprit #3, Emmert, needed to put the bb program under penalties. Emmert also had a vendetta against JC.

The problem is that culprit #4 will never seek the truth. The press didn't really care for JC. And even if they did, culprit #5, the general college bb fan did not like JC and therefore would never accept the events I list. So no serious sports writer will go out of his way to clear things.

And that leaves culprit #6 JC, to shoulder the blame. Sooner or later if you p*ss off enough people it will come back to haunt you. The beauty of JC is he is a maverick. But, it was also his weakness.

Reaction Score
Honestly the last thing I want is some inducement for Nate Miles to start talking to people. God only knows what would come out.
I'm a firm believer that this was all way overblown, but I just don't want to give it a chance to come back up.

Miles spoke to the NY Times, made a bunch of claims, he was called out, talked to the NCA, recanted.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Miles spoke to the NY Times, made a bunch of claims, he was called out, talked to the NCA, recanted.
Yeah I remember. I'd just be happy to never hear the guy's name again.

C

Chief00

I know it is not popular speaking out in defense of Nate Miles, but what was done to him was very wrong. He got railroaded and separated from his rights as a citizen.
I hope he sues and makes millions off this injustice.

Reaction Score
Given all the HIPA crap, I can't imagine why they weren't hauled to the click along with the NCAA scum.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc