FCS Schools May Be Feeling The Heat (Miami Herald article) | The Boneyard

FCS Schools May Be Feeling The Heat (Miami Herald article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/02/4269092/checkbooks-and-balances-budgets.html?sp=/99/1444/1649/

A very interesting article about how the big-time programs are starting to schedule more FBS schools over FCS schools because of the strength of schedule issue. UF is one program cited that is inching away from scheduling FCS schools out-of-conference. Recently, Maryland announced a home-and-home deal with Northern Illinois, who also inked deals with BYU and Utah. As you already know, Connecticut has deals with Indiana and Illinois.

This may be a way for UConn to get back some of its former rivals on the schedule, if my read on this is correct.

Reaction Score
What former rivals would want to play UConn? They all seem to hate UConn and would rather play where they can "recruit".

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
RatholeMA said:
What former rivals would want to play UConn? They all seem to hate UConn and would rather play where they can "recruit".

And win.

Reaction Score
VT...future H&H games with Ohio State, Purdue, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn State (but still plenty of games against Old Dominion.

Pitt...Iowa, Penn State (X4), Ok. State..does have a game with Villanova & Delaware on schedule

Louisville...a bunch of openings

BC....a bunch of openings and nobody much on schedule (other then Notre Dame)

Syracuse....LSU, Maryland, Penn State...and a bunch of openings

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This article is interesting. I would really like to see the "G5" conferences stand together and just stop taking one off pay for play games and demand home and homes. Either Alabama is going to have to pay Purdue a RIDICULOUS amount of money, or they're going to have to come to UConn and get their butt kicked.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This article is interesting. I would really like to see the "G5" conferences stand together and just stop taking one off pay for play games and demand home and homes. Either Alabama is going to have to pay Purdue a RIDICULOUS amount of money, or they're going to have to come to UConn and get their butt kicked.
Would be nice but FAU will make 2.2 million off two paydays against BCS, which equated to 1/3 of 2012 FB revenue. These guys have a hard time replicating that revenue otherwise. The problem for us is that we're figuratively in a different league than the rest of the G5, aside from a handful of schools.

Reaction Score

This.

/sarcasm off

Reaction Score
Its a double edged sword depending on how you look at it.......

If the Power 5 only schedule Group of 5 schools as one and done home games, the Group of 5 can expect more money in the future, thus helping them tread water to stay afloat in terms of money.

If the Power 5 decide its too expensive to always do one and done deals with the Group of 5 and opt for home and home games instead, the Power 5 won't pay the Group of 5 at all for coming to their stadiums because they will return the favor the following year and play at the G5 stadium. The G5 teams get decent home games with the P5, but no big payout other than the increase in attendance for the game if it does in fact increase.

Do you want the payout or do you want the home game? I think that's how you have to look at it and then decide from there.

pj

Reaction Score
As long as the cash UConn collects from a P5 guarantee game is more than the cost of a guarantee game with a lower level G5 school, so that we still have 6 home games a year, I don't think it's a huge deal to participate in this scheme. Yes, the home fans lose the chance to see Michigan or Tennessee live. But, the football team gets to play them, and the fans get to see them on TV.

Reaction Score
Its a double edged sword depending on how you look at it..

If the Power 5 only schedule Group of 5 schools as one and done home games, the Group of 5 can expect more money in the future, thus helping them tread water to stay afloat in terms of money.

If the Power 5 decide its too expensive to always do one and done deals with the Group of 5 and opt for home and home games instead, the Power 5 won't pay the Group of 5 at all for coming to their stadiums because they will return the favor the following year and play at the G5 stadium. The G5 teams get decent home games with the P5, but no big payout other than the increase in attendance for the game if it does in fact increase.

Do you want the payout or do you want the home game? I think that's how you have to look at it and then decide from there.

Very good point but it all depends on what end of the G5 spectrum schools see themselves. Everyone in UConn's corner sees us as a P5 school (in a sensible world) or at least a cream of the crop G5 school (in current reality).

While MAC schools will sign one-off's all day, I think that is below UConn (and recent scheduling would suggest that WM feels similarly). I don't think we need to keep 7 home games but I would sure as heck rather see us play home and home with mid P5 teams than lower ourselves to playing one-offs at bigger P5 schools. In the past 10 years we signed home and homes with Michigan, Tennessee, Baylor, ect. At this point it is tough to go back to hamburger helper from filet mignon.

I understand the money may be necessary at some point but I think UConn can survive without one-off pay days until we get the B1G invitation.

Reaction Score
Very good point but it all depends on what end of the G5 spectrum schools see themselves. Everyone in UConn's corner sees us as a P5 school (in a sensible world) or at least a cream of the crop G5 school (in current reality).

While MAC schools will sign one-off's all day, I think that is below UConn (and recent scheduling would suggest that WM feels similarly). I don't think we need to keep 7 home games but I would sure as heck rather see us play home and home with mid P5 teams than lower ourselves to playing one-offs at bigger P5 schools. In the past 10 years we signed home and homes with Michigan, Tennessee, Baylor, ect. At this point it is tough to go back to hamburger helper from filet mignon.

I understand the money may be necessary at some point but I think UConn can survive without one-off pay days until we get the B1G invitation.
And what happened to the Tennessee series? Cancelled so they could start a series with VTech. Call it postponed if you want, but that is cancelled. As recently as 2008 we had UVA and Baylor coming to the Rent as well as a game at UNC. That's just an example but there are other years with similar schedules...when we were in a BCS league. This is our first year in a very long time with 0 P5 games on the schedule. There wont be any next year either (OOC home slate is Nova and Army, road game at BYU.) In 2016 we have UVA coming again...at the moment until the ACC goes to a 10 game league slate. I'm also 100 percent sure the future series we have with Illinois and Indiana will never happen. In our current position we need to go on the road if we want to have a somewhat decent schedule at all. Playing directional Michigan teams at home isn't going to captivate anyone and certainly does nothing to advance our hopes of getting that B1G invite everyone seems so confident in. Unfortunately, we are in no position to say no to a one-off game at Bama, LSU etc because what we get in return certainly won't be filet mingon

Reaction Score
And SOS goes both ways. We need to improve our SOS to improve ranking, bowl $ and media coverage (if you are not too 25 you don't exist).

To go along with better SOS, we obviously need to have good wins and 0 bad losses.

Right now, take whatever we can get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104