FCS Moves? | The Boneyard

FCS Moves?

Reaction Score
What are people's thoughts on teams moving up from the FCS and forcing some conference relooks (well, non-P5 anyway). We have some mainstays on the list below, including the ones like Montana that state they aren't even considering the move. Just wanted to see people's thoughts and have a convo if anyone wants to.

Big Sky Moves:
Montana & Montana State = All the stuff I read said the state would require them to be a package move if at all.

Big South Moves: (What's left of it anyway)
Liberty = Already moving up.

Colonial Moves:
James Madison (AAC, Conf USA, Sun Belt)
Delaware (AAC, Conf USA)
Richmond (AAC, Conf USA, Sun Belt)
Villanova (AAC, Conf USA, MAC)
Rhode Island (AAC, Conf USA, MAC)

Missouri Valley Moves:
North Dakota State (Conf USA, MAC, Mountain West)
Northern Iowa (AAC, Conf USA, Mountain West)

Patriot Moves:
Fordham (AAC, Conf USA)

Pioneer League Moves:
San Diego (Conf USA, Mountain West)
Dayton (AAC, Conf USA, MAC)

Southland Moves:
Sam Houston State (AAC, Conf USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt)
Stephen F. Austin (AAC, Conf USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt)

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Can only speak for the CAA, but that's not a likely list. FBS requires an average attendance of 15k -- JMU averaged 21k last year, Delaware 17k. Richmond drew 8k, Nova 6k, URI 4K. Also, URI's program is a complete and utter tire fire.

UNH has been the most consistent CAA program and they just opened a new stadium that seats 12k -- they're happy where they are.

There was buzz around Delaware and Nova earlier in the decade, but both seem unlikely to me at the moment. JMU is obviously the trendy team, but they say they'll only leave for the perfect opportunity.

You can see last year's FCS attendance numbers here.

Reaction Score
Delaware is rolling out a massive investment in their sports programs, but even with that I don’t see why’d they move up. Of that list maybe JMU or SHS.

I think reality is starting to settle in for college presidents and ADs that the gravy train has left the station and a move to a P6 conference is not a recipe for success.

Reaction Score
I remember when Florida A&M attempted to move to FBS in 2003....it was disastrous.

From a fairly well regarded football HBCU program that had success in the late 90's they went to 3-8 and #207 in Sagarin...the AD resigned, the coach was fired.

And back to the MEAC they went...tail between their legs.

Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I just don’t see any viable niche markets for these schools to fill stepping up.

Reaction Score
Sounds like everyone is on the same page...and minus the one off Georgia Southern, Liberty, and UMass moves, it is the same landscape as it was 7-8 years ago when I wrote a couple articles on Montana and Villanova possibly moving up...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Where are all these schools going to move to?

Are they moving up so they can all be Independents?

Not one of these schools bring any value from a media dollars perspective, so no conference, including the AAC, is going to have interest in adding them in order to split the pie into even smaller pieces.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Liberty moved up...explain that one to me.

They've been hyper-focused on this -- it was an institutional priority. They've also grown their enrollment to over 50K through a massive online program which has brought in boku $$. I believe they are now the largest private college in the flipping country.

Coastal Carolina is the stranger case to me. Their stadium holds 15,500 (so they better fill it if they want to stay in FBS) and according to this report they relied much more on paid attendance than actual attendance to get an average attendance of 14,900 last year. I'm sure every school inflates their numbers like this, but in the case of Coastal Carolina, if the fans aren't interested, who is? If they can only put 7,000 butts in seats, why move up? Maybe I'm short-sighted!

Reaction Score
They've been hyper-focused on this -- it was an institutional priority. They've also grown their enrollment to over 50K through a massive online program which has brought in boku $$. I believe they are now the largest private college in the flipping country.

Coastal Carolina is the stranger case to me. Their stadium holds 15,500 (so they better fill it if they want to stay in FBS) and according to this report they relied much more on paid attendance than actual attendance to get an average attendance of 14,900 last year. I'm sure every school inflates their numbers like this, but in the case of Coastal Carolina, if the fans aren't interested, who is? If they can only put 7,000 butts in seats, why move up? Maybe I'm short-sighted!

I've driven by Coastal Carolina's campus I believe. It's right next to Mrytle Beach right? That place is a tourist nightmare.

I wonder if Liberty is going to folllow the Grand Canyon route?

Reaction Score
Delaware is spending 25 million on facilities for a football program that loses 7 million dollars a year while they have a half a billion of deferred maintenance backlogged.

It’s amazing that taxpayers and students have ignored this.

The FCS model rarely works. There is just no media interest.

Delaware, Nova, and JMU spend as much as MAC teams, but can't play FBS teams regularly or on an equal footing.

Reaction Score

Coastal Carolina has a secret stash they pull from. They’re fine. Folks need to stop focusing on stated athletic budgets and the “accounting” that is reported. If u think UD is actually losing money in football, I’ve some choice land for you.

The pressure if anywhere is on schools that operate in areas like SEC country.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Liberty moved up...explain that one to me.

Simple they make hundreds of millions from their online school and have money to burn to push their religion. They openly state they run the physical campus at a loss because they can.

They are non-profit so not the Grand Canyon route.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Coastal Carolina has a secret stash they pull from. They’re fine. Folks need to stop focusing on stated athletic budgets and the “accounting” that is reported. If u think UD is actually losing money in football, I’ve some choice land for you.

The pressure if anywhere is on schools that operate in areas like SEC country.

Delaware just moves money from academics to pay for football to trick people into not understanding what a cash cow it is.

Reaction Score
Simple they make hundreds of millions from their online school and have money to burn to push their religion. They openly state they run the physical campus at a loss because they can.

They are non-profit so not the Grand Canyon route.

You know GCU is a religious institution as well right?

But yes, the big difference here is non-profit vs. for-profit.

Reaction Score
Liberty has become holy ground amongst Republican presidents. That's hilarious. Why are their teams named the "Flames"? The flames of liberty or the lake of fire?

Reaction Score
Liberty has become holy ground amongst Republican presidents. That's hilarious. Why are their teams named the "Flames"? The flames of liberty or the lake of fire?

Well their official motto is "Knowledge Aflame." It may be tied to their faith beliefs.

Reaction Score
And I understand that Liberty has had success in their conference but they have only made the FCS Playoffs once and there best seasons were 2008 and 2014.

In 2008, they went 10-2, beating 2 FCS ranked opponents.

In 2014, they went 9-5, lost to #23 North Carolina 29-56, and lost in the second round of the FCS Playoffs.

The only season they played two FBS teams was 2016 when they lost to VaTech & SMU. Of course they had the miracle upset of Baylor in Waco last year but other than that their football resume is mediocre.

Reaction Score
Delaware just moves money from academics to pay for football to trick people into not understanding what a cash cow it is.

UD outdraws UConn. They do fine financially. Move along.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UD outdraws UConn. They do fine financially. Move along.

LOL.

1. They do not.
2. UConn sells some tickets that cost money.
3. LOL - Delaware football makes money but their AD is 81% subsidy
4. LOL

Reaction Score
The thing I enjoy most about you is that you yell loudest when you know less. Keep the momentum going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom