Favorite Uconn team that didn’t win a championship?

I feel oppositely. We hadn't even made the Final Four when that Miss. State clunker happened. The Mason game sucked but that team hadn't jelled all year and we had 2 titles by that time.
It was definitely the most devastating loss. Coming two years after Donyell got the yips at the ft line and we blew it to an inferior Florida team and a year after Ray was totally dominant but we ran into the one juggernaut (UCLA) who could beat us in a track meet. Losing to an inferior Miss State team meant Ray Allen's career was over and despite our dominant run of seasons and our two transcendent players (Donyell and Ray) we still had no final 4 to show for it. It was horrible.

It was definitely the most devastating loss. Coming two years after Donyell got the yips at the ft line and we blew it to an inferior Florida team and a year after Ray was totally dominant but we ran into the one juggernaut (UCLA) who could beat us in a track meet. Losing to an inferior Miss State team meant Ray Allen's career was over and despite our dominant run of seasons and our two transcendent players (Donyell and Ray) we still had no final 4 to show for it. It was horrible.
It's hard to imagine now, but at the time It was impossible to not think that we may never make a Final Four. The 94 and 95 teams were better, but we had no business losing to a team with three decent players and a bunch of absolute dreck behind it. Still, if Ricky Moore isn't hurt, there is no way that Darryl Wilson goes of for 7 threes and 27 points.

Gotta throw 94-95 out there with Ray. Just ran into a buzzsaw called UCLA
Same here. I watched the game in Geneva with some friends on the initial step of my 3 week backbacking expedition. Did not help that the following day I had to share a train cabin with two girls wearing UCLA sweatshirts on the way to Munich. UCLA was the one team that UConn could not afford to get into a shooting competeiton with.

Dude! I thought that Marshall team was going to cut down the nets that season.
The '94 loss to Florida was painful. Unlike '95 when UCLA was the better team, '94 UConn was better than Florida and Donyell's missed free-throws at the end were brutal. If the Huskies had won, would have had BC for the Great 8 and UConn owned BC. That would have given UConn a rematch again with Duke, which was winnable; but, I suspect the game being played in Charlotte, would have been problematic. Arkansas was also a strong team that year and proved it by beating Duke for the title. Anyway, I was so nervous watching the game in my dorm with friends. When he missed those shots, I hurled a Sega controller I was absently playing with into the neaby cement wall. It was not mine. Had to take the WilliBus down to the mall the next weekend to go to Ames to buy a new one for my roommate.

Last edited: