OT: Favorite sports moments | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite sports moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Former Red Wings Darrin McCarty and former Aves Claude Lemieux have signed on to play an alumni game between the Red Wings and the Aves Feb 26th. This brought me back to one of my favorite sports moments that didn't involve raising a trophy or cutting down nets: March 26th, 1997 - Bloody Wednesday. It was the moment that showed the emotion of hockey and it was the point I believed that they were finally going to win the cup. I was a senior in college, a month away from graduating. Watched it with my friends right before we were all going our separate ways.

The other is actually the same year. It was during Michigan's 1997 season at PSU. Billed as "Judgement Day," it was a day when two sets of undefeated teams met: Michigan vs. PSU and UNC vs. FSU. Michigan beat the living snot out of PSU and one hit set the tone. It's still the nastiest hit I have ever seen. It ending the careers of both players

What are yours?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
B0JuQ-_IUAEX9i9.png:large

Reaction Score
October 2004
77-74
Red Sox 2013
Kemba
UConn beating MSU at MSG and then FL and Kentucky

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This happened in my final Whalers game (2nd to last home game in our franchise history)...

Dooley

Reaction Score
Was at this game and I swear it's the only time I have actually felt a stadium shake...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
mookie-buckner_5.jpg

77-74 takes second place, just nudging out Ali beating Foreman. I thought UConn could win that game, but Ali stood no chance, but I got to watch UConn. Ali was only on radio and updated after each round.

And this was epic.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Sitting in second deck for this one. While this video doesn't show it, this game had to be delayed for about 15 minutes when Lou Pinella took his M's off the field after Ruben Sierra hit a HR and Yankee fans started throwing trash, including batteries, at anyone in a Mariner uniform.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't think any Patriot fan will forget where they were when they watched this game...

Dooley

Reaction Score
We don't have quite the history as you guys obviously do against ND, but I'll remember this one for as long as I live. I'll also remember ND fans thanking me outside the stadium for beating their team so that Charlie Weis would be fired...

Dooley

Reaction Score
Funny because we just talked about this game on Thursday night at our tailgate...

Dooley

Reaction Score
I remember the sports bar (Rookies) EXPLODING when this shot went in..

Dooley

Reaction Score
In 1996, the Yankees gave all fans in attendance on opening day a free ticket to a future game (from a list of 5) for sitting through a snow storm while beating the Royals. I've gone to every opening day except for a few (I lived in Chicago/Iowa for a few years) and I was at that one. One of the games they gave freebies to was this game below. I tried like hell to convince my buddy to go to the game with me but couldn't and I couldn't get to the stadium solo. Then this happened...

Reaction Score
1. Red Sox v Yankees, October 2004
2. Late great Tate, 1990

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Was at this game and I swear it's the only time I have actually felt a stadium shake...

For me it was Game 5 of the 2001 World Series. Recent UConn grad with my first real job... My buddy convinced me to grab stubhub tix for $300/piece, which was a steep chunk of the paycheck at the time... Driving down the Merritt and the exhaust drops from his old clunker Cavalier, sparks flying... Can't drive it to the Bronx like that. We call his mom, she brings us her Corolla, and she drives away in the Cavalier. Make it just in time for the game. Our tickets ended up being in the very last row under the scoreboard. Game goes in to extras, and I'm just nervous as hell. They pulled it off in extras in Game 4, how the hell could they do it again? Well, they did... Pure joy and pandemonium... Yelling, hugging strangers... It was awesome.

Any of the key UConn moments, of course, rank up there too. :)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
1. 77-74
2. Joe Montana to Dwight Clark to win NFC championship over the Cowboys
3. Every UCONN hoops title
4. Every 49er Super Bowl
5. Cal v Stanford , "The Play" (two of my buddies handled the ball for Cal on the return and another childhood friend was also on the field for the Golden Bears)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Going to go non-UConn here to avoid some duplicates.

In no particular order:

2003 ALCS Game 7 - Aaron Boone
Super Bowl 42 - Manning to Tyree
Super Bowl 46 - Manning to Manningham
2001 Late Inning Yankee HRs to beat D-Backs...conversely Game 7 2001 worst sports moment - ever.
Non title related but Jeter ending his career at Yankee Stadium was just special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom