OT: Favorite Restaurant in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Restaurant in CT

Reaction Score
Don't forget Porky's in Shelton for wings
Yes! Porky's is great. I love their Spicy Thai flavored wings. Dew Drop right across the bridge in Derby is also a great place for wings and food in general.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the love for Goodfellas. Obviously I’m partial to L’Orcio, but in a city with an excess of great Italian restaurants of various types, I don’t think Goodfellas distinguishes itself on any score.

I probably eat at Portofino more than any of them and I think they are very good to great 99% of the time. And Skappo is excellent but very different.

Adrianna’s and Tarry Lodge probably the next level down for me, but I’d gladly eat at either.

For my tastes, Goodfellas and Caffe Bravo are probably the next level down from there, along with Tre Scalini (which used to be much better imo).
I love Goodfellas, the meat ball salad app is excellent and the sauce is delicious. The Filet Cognac is one of my favorite entrees. As far as L'Orcio, I never heard of that place until I read about it in a thread on here recently. Im going to make it a point to try that very soon.

Reaction Score
Yes. Incredible, but very expensive.

That's our special occasion spot (birthday, anniversary) spot. I live just a mile from there and walk past it on my daily walking route.

The head chef is from Eastern Montana, a town not too far from my wife's hometown. Once we found that out, we met him and he hooked us up with off-menu stuff to try. Really nice guy.

The Glazer family are the people behind the transformation of the old Silvermine Tavern and they've done a pristine job.

Same with us, we only go for birthdays and anniversaries. It's so good. Need the off-menu insider info...

Reaction Score
I don’t get the love for Goodfellas. Obviously I’m partial to L’Orcio, but in a city with an excess of great Italian restaurants of various types, I don’t think Goodfellas distinguishes itself on any score.

I probably eat at Portofino more than any of them and I think they are very good to great 99% of the time. And Skappo is excellent but very different.

Adrianna’s and Tarry Lodge probably the next level down for me, but I’d gladly eat at either.

For my tastes, Goodfellas and Caffe Bravo are probably the next level down from there, along with Tre Scalini (which used to be much better imo).
Love Portofino and adriannas. Adriannas is best bang for your buck.

You ever get the eggplant tower there

Reaction Score
I have been enjoying meals at beachland tavern in elmwood west Hartford try the kitchen sink wings as well

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What is your favorite restaurant in Connecticut? Mine is J. Gilbert's here in Glastonbury. I go there with super high expectations, and it never lets me down. We did a 20th birthday dinner for my son the other night and all four people at the table proclaimed that it is their favorite restaurant.
When I read the thread title, J Gilbert's was the first that came to mind. Nice to see you agree. I have never been let down there.

A few other of my go-to's: ( I don't get down to the New Haven area too often)
Lucky Lou's - Wethersfield
Carbone's Prime - Rocky Hill
Rooster Co. - Newington
Prime - Foxwoods
Bar Americain - Mohegan
Fist and Last - ONLY Hartford
Bear's - Hartford

Reaction Score
Check out Francesca's Wine Bar and Bistro in collinsville. The owner and head chef is a student of mine from years back. Great food. Not cheap but menu changes every week or so.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love Goodfellas, the meat ball salad app is excellent and the sauce is delicious. The Filet Cognac is one of my favorite entrees. As far as L'Orcio, I never heard of that place until I read about it in a thread on here recently. Im going to make it a point to try that very soon.

The meatball salad thing is what drives me crazy about Goodfellas, and probably skews my overall impression.

I’ve posted this at least a few times over the years, but meatball salad has been a favorite ad-lib of mine since I was around 16 years old. I now often have people assemble it for me at the places where you point and tell them what you want in your salad. At other places I order a meatball app and a green salad and combine them myself. At Bin 228 in Hartford they do it as an off-menu item if you ask; and they serve it with nice toast points.

Several years ago when I was checking out with a meatball salad at P&M in New Haven the cashier raved out her love of meatball salad and asked if I got the idea from Goodfellas. I put her straight but in the next couple weeks I heard some other people mention it and I was intrigued so I went there to try it. I was very disappointed to see that it was served with a wedge of iceberg, which I think is useless—unless drenched with blue cheese. It was adequate but nothing more. I also had their squash blossoms, which I thought were too heavy.

Love Portofino and adriannas. Adriannas is best bang for your buck.

You ever get the eggplant tower there

I’ve only had the eggplant tower there once. It was great.

Their portions are ridiculous. 99% of the time I get the John Dory; if I have company I like the meatball app, and squash blossoms in season.

Cast Iron Chef and Bistro Mediterranean also do excellent eggplant towers.

Reaction Score
Try to get a reservation in L'Orcio's patio.

Reaction Score
I don’t live in CT anymore (Charlotte based) but whenever I visit my family I always find myself going to Birch Hill Tavern in Glastonbury. Good food and it doesn’t hurt that they normally have Fox Farm on tap as well. I noted some of the other suggestions in the Hartford area too.

A few other places I eat whenever I’m in town is United China in Manchester for the best cheap Chinese take out. And Arch Street Tavern for FunkNight on Wednesdays. Solid beer, good food, and even better music.

Reaction Score
I don’t live in CT anymore (Charlotte based) but whenever I visit my family I always find myself going to Birch Hill Tavern in Glastonbury. Good food and it doesn’t hurt that they normally have Fox Farm on tap as well. I noted some of the other suggestions in the Hartford area too.

A few other places I eat whenever I’m in town is United China in Manchester for the best cheap Chinese take out. And Arch Street Tavern for FunkNight on Wednesdays. Solid beer, good food, and even better music.
United China is very good take out and reasonably priced. My go to Chinese Wang Palace recently left Glastonbury.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I really like Carbones in Rocky Hill
I avoided it when it first open because I assumed it was going to be over-priced and stuffy. Neither are true. Yes, you can make it a "nice night" if you go on a Friday/Saturday night and sit in the dining room, but you can also make it much more affordable and casual in the bar area, which is really nice and chill. The menu has a wide price range.

Reaction Score
using your criteria, 'I go there with super high expectations, and it never lets me down,' i'll say McDonalds. aside from taste, which is the most personal of opinions, i had an experience there the other day that even surprised me, with my high expectation for convenience and efficiency. pulling in to the lot, i noticed that both drive thru lanes were full, and the following merged lane to the pay and pick-up windows as well, around 18 cars in total. im thinking 'kinda busy, so it'll take a bit more time than usual. oh, well, no big.' the lines never stopped moving, culminating in the pay window handing me the change while the pickup window already had the bag held outside that window. two mcdoubles hot and fresh, large cup of water, $4.06. same price and quality, like every other time for years now. even the 'best' apizza, steak, or seafood place has periodic moody chefs or waitstaff every now and again, including 'my' places, which really stinks when that happens. some of those places won't be around next year, but micky d's will. i'm lovin' it.
Cliff I’m never going to agree with you on anything but.... A fresh hot quarter pounder with cheese is a tasty thing beating out 12and 14 dollar burgers from fancy places. That burger must be consumed immediately or it becomes a non food though. Finally to have good nutrition this shouldn’t be a frequent item in anyone’s diet.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Two places we frequently end up when we can‘t decide where to go, and we’re always happy we went:

Cafe Routier in Westbrook

Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven
Last Monday I went to Mediterranean Bistro in East Haven. Loved it.

And Saturday night me and Mrs. Dove went to the Westbrook one and it was another home run!!! Its now in the roatation.

Still have never been to Cafe Routier.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Grew up in Manchester, but never at at Cavey’s Upstairs. Everyone talked about it when I was a kid. Evidently Geno bought it in 2019.

Favorite? Ted’s Grinders. Nothing better when you are drunk or dorm food was terrible. Rein’s Deli also a favorite.

Reaction Score
Another spot that deserves mention? Bricco in WH Center. I wouldn't say it's my favorite? But I've been there a million times for work dinners and it never, ever disappoints. It's a spot you can go any night, order anything on the menu and it's just rock solid.

Reaction Score
Last Monday I went to Mediterranean Bistro in East Haven. Loved it.

And Saturday night me and Mrs. Dove went to the Westbrook one and it was another home run!!! Its now in the roatation.

Still have never been to Cafe Routier.
Routier is fantastic one of best restaurants on shoreline. Owner (Bryan) is son of (Betty) who owned Elizabeth Cafe/Perfect Parties. The family knows how to run a proper restaurant with good food

Reaction Score
Another spot that deserves mention? Bricco in WH Center. I wouldn't say it's my favorite? But I've been there a million times for work dinners and it never, ever disappoints. It's a spot you can go any night, order anything on the menu and it's just rock solid.
Bricco is very solid usually my go to when I’m in west Hartford center

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bricco is very solid usually my go to when I’m in west Hartford center
I’ve never had a bad meal there either. Moderately priced and usually they’re quick to seat you if you don’t have a reservation.

Reaction Score
What is your favorite restaurant in Connecticut? Mine is J. Gilbert's here in Glastonbury. I go there with super high expectations, and it never lets me down. We did a 20th birthday dinner for my son the other night and all four people at the table proclaimed that it is their favorite restaurant.
The Abbey in New Milford!!! Frank the owner is a terrific host. They have a varied menu, specials, etc, but I have to say they make the best burger and fries, as well as the best Fish & Chips I ever had.

Reaction Score
Right in Willimantic across from Willimantic Brewing Company, Stone Row. Rotates the menu to what’s in season. The best duck breast I’ve ever had.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Zohara has become one of my favorites in West Hartford. All the mention of Mediterranean Bistro in EH makes me think I have to make it a point to stop in there when I am in that area for work.

Reaction Score
Zohara has become one of my favorites in West Hartford. All the mention of Mediterranean Bistro in EH makes me think I have to make it a point to stop in there when I am in that area for work.
Their lamb meatballs are amazing, and one time I had way more Limonanas than a responsible adult should. So good!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom