Favorite reality TV show | The Boneyard

Favorite reality TV show

temery

What?
Reaction Score
As a rule I hate reality TV, but I have to admit I am not really sure what is considered reality TV anymore ( so much is scripted ).

With that said, what are your favorites, and most hate reality shows?

One that I like, is American Pickers. Their price estimates are way off, but I like the people the pick (Johnny Hollywood was hilarious).

On the other end ... There is nothing to like about Pawn Stars.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For shear stupidity, I like Fast and Loud. One of the only "business reality"shows I've seen where the guy actually loses money on occasion.

I like Bar Rescue, but the episodes are repetitive. I feel like if I had some promotional sponsors and a work crew, anyone could turn around a bar.

I detest anything with phone voting or weekly eliminations.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really liked American Idol. But then I like music and most of them could sing fairly well. A few of them were even somewhat inventive. Didn't watch this last year, couldn't stand the judges (Menage a trois and Carey in particular).

I starting watching Siberia, but haven't had the time to follow. Interesting concept, a show about a reality TV show (gone awry).

Used to watch Survivor, quite a few seasons ago. But don't have the time to keep up....and like anything it lost it's luster.

The alligator show (Swamp People?) was pretty good. I liked to see them catch the gators.

My wife loves to watch house hunting shows and the flip the house shows. Don't get that at all. Don't find Duck Dynasty very interesting either. They are kinda boring to me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In no particular order:
NCAA Basketball
NFL Football
NCAA Football
Major League Baseball

In all seriousness, many of the reality shows that I watch(ed) have either ended or have jumped the shark and are no longer appointment TV or DVR worthy.

Ice Road Truckers
Storage Wars
Hells Kitchen (albeit third hand hearsay, I heard the producers would turn up/down the temps on the stoves to create more drama).

Bar Rescue, Hells Kitchen, and Restaurant Impossible are kind of fun, but they follow the same basic formula each time (experience a service, insult proprietor, change the menu, change the décor, change the name, make up with proprietor, grand reopening, establishment thrives from then on). It's getting old.

Reaction Score
American Pickers is about the only one I like and they are even now getting to hokey and gimmicky. Duck Dynasty is one of the worst shows I've ever seen, so unbelievably boring.

Reaction Score
Ok hate to admit it but Housewives of new jersey kills me. Watch it with my wife. As if that makes it better. Also watch amazing race and big brother.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Duck Dynasty is all about family and working though problems together and involving God into everything they do.
America Pickers is pretty good and love seeing some of their picks.
Still like Deadliest Catch where I have seen just about everything but think it is still interesting

Reaction Score
Duck Dynasty is all about family and working though problems together and involving God into everything they do.
America Pickers is pretty good and love seeing some of their picks.
Still like Deadliest Catch where I have seen just about everything but think it is still interesting
Duck Dynasty is contrived and incredibly boring, they seem like nice enough people but I'll never understand why people want to watch these bad actors do basically nothing.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Duck Dynasty is contrived and incredibly boring, they seem like nice enough people but I'll never understand why people want to watch these bad actors do basically nothing.

You just don't understand southern lifestyle.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ok hate to admit it but Housewives of new jersey kills me. Watch it with my wife. As if that makes it better. Also watch amazing race and big brother.

The Real Housewives of New Jersey is a really badly acted soap opera. My wife will occasionally make me watch this show, until I ruin it for her by showing how contrived it is. Half the scenes are utter BS, and when they don't work, because the acting is so bad and the producers are basically asking a bunch of hacks to do an extended improv, it really doesn't work. The old one with dyed light brown hair will actually look at her watch sometimes if the scene is really awkward.

It is just really bad television.

Reaction Score
The Challenge on MTV, better than most sports. Shows the benefits of PEDS in competition.

For adults, I love Amazing Race

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Call of the Wildman is funny although I think Turtleman is letting success get to him. Now I see they are sending him and his crew beyond the borders of Kentucky. Hope this doesn't kill the show. "Yi yiyiyiyiyiyi...live action!"

We like Gator Boys, too. Simple fun. Likeable characters. We also like Pit Bulls and Parolees.

Restaurant Impossible, Kitchen Nightmares, Bar Rescue and Mysterious Diners are great entertainment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Does Chopped qualify? I enjoy the betting angle I got from Simmonds. You each pick 2, you win double if both picks make it to the final round. Other than that, Storage Wars is about it for me.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I stayed away from list competition shows like Chopped, Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen.

Reaction Score
I like...though don't always watch...

Amazing Race...best of bunch
American Pickers
Pawn Stars
The Voice
Man vs. Food
Finding Bigfoot
Storage Wars

Reaction Score
Gold Rush is my favorite on the air right now. But overall it is Deadliest Catch or The Amazing Race.

Kitchen shows I like are Masterchef, Hell's Kitchen, Chopped and sometimes Restaurant Impossible.

Worst on the air has to be Amish Mafia. That show is pathetic.

Reaction Score
I cringe at some of the garbage I've enjoyed over the years, even recently: Big Brother, The Bachelor, Housewives of ..... There's no doubt that NJ Housewives is the worst show in the history of television and Theresa is the worst person in the history of television.

The Amazing Race is probably my favorite of the bunch, although after 15 or so seasons it's gotten old. At this point, it's all just a boring blob of crap to me.

Reaction Score
American Pickers is one that I have a season pass to on my DVR. I like the guys and I like the folks they meet up with. They always treat the folks' "junk" with the right amount of respect.

My Summer indulgence is So You Think You Can Dance. I got into this show in Season 2 in order to, what else, impress these girls I used to hang out with who wanted to watch. I never thought I'd enjoy a dance competition, but I really enjoy this one. The judges can be a little of the top at times, but the dancers are fantastic. This year's competition is probably the best I've seen.

I'll still watch the occasional season of Survivor if the mood hits me. But I find it takes too many weeks of watching before the show turns interesting. I'm not always willing to make that kind of commitment.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Watched Duck Dynasty seriously for the first time last night (the on-strike episode). I understand the appeal. The old guys are hysterical.

The dad calling out the "yuppie children"

Have no idea how they make any money in that business though. There must be something they are not showing us. Like the 100 other people making duck calls.

Reaction Score
The Amazing Race is probably my favorite of the bunch, although after 15 or so seasons it's gotten old. At this point, it's all just a boring blob of crap to me.

Agree. I am a fan and it used to be must-see TV but it has gotten a bit boring...same old same old. Need to spice it up somehow.

Best shows are where good balance of teams to pull for and "hate"....need more of that....

Reaction Score
Forgot a good one....Hard Knocks on HBO. Excellent.

Reaction Score
Love Amazing Race. My wife is a geography teacher so she uses the cultural parts as extra credit for her students. A good excuse to watch it. Though I will say they try too hard to make stereotypical stories (pretty much always a homosexual couple, newlyweds, former athlete, etc).

I watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers occasionally. I liked America Restoration and Cake Boss when they focused more on the business and less on the personal side of things. Showing the people as human has its merits but the focus, IMHO, should be the business you are showcasing. Pawn Stars goes this route sometimes too.

My "new"favorite is Beyond Scared Straight. I rediscovered it last spring and, unfortunately, could see a lot of my students last year qualifying for the programs. In some ways it gave me hope for them. In other ways, I got frustrated. Either way, good television because it can elicit emotion.

The "Locked Up" series is kind of cool. I watched Gangland for a while but it was too repetitive and tried too hard to be edgy and scary.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom