OT: Favorite CT restaurants | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

Reaction Score
No, but G-Zen in Branford is an excellent vegan restaurant. The chef/owner, Mark Shadle, started ION in Middletown, which is still good--but not as good as Gen Z since he left ION and started it.

Yes, been to both many times. Would do G-Zen but that’s an hour away from us now.

Reaction Score
School House - Wilton - best restaurant in the state
Luc's - Ridgefield - great French bistro and bonus Keith Richards' sightings at the bar
Ono - Wesport - Tiny space with great sushi and Japanese
Spiga - New Canaan - family friendly Italian spot with something for everyone
Cherry Street East - New Canaan - best burgers in Fairfield county
Little Pub - various locations - best pub food in the state
Inn at Pound Ridge - Pound Ridge, NY - just over the border, upscale but not fancy, never had a bad meal there

Reaction Score
Funny that Deepster complained about portion sizes earlier. Schoolhouse is the consummate "pay $45, get three bites" meal.

Reaction Score
My wife is gluten free and likes Vegan places, anyone been to 21 Oak in Manchester?

My daughter is GF. I'd recommend Pure Love Bakery in Avon. It's a godsend. Everything is gluten free and reasonably priced. They also have fresh pizza dough in the fridge which is the best GF pizza option I've had in our 13 years trying them out.

They have their holiday order sheet up on their Facebook page right now and you can order a cookie platter or dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls, etc. All incredible.

Reaction Score
There is a new restaurant opening in the location of the former Watch Factory Restaurant in Cheshire (Markus Patschretired this summer). No longer Austrian/German, but similar in that it will be a small menu of mostly hand-prepared meals with no pressure to eat and open up the table for the next guest. We'll try to give it a shot soon.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ha.

I ate at Carlson's landing last night on way back from Airport. Had the lamb. It was killer.
Looks great.

I've only scanned the list but one surprise was not seeing L'Orcio listed for best Italian, especially given the other ones on the list. I've been to six of the others listed--five of the them more than once--and L'Orcio is better than all of them imo.

Have you been to Sherkaan Indian Street Food in New Haven yet? Nice to see that it made their best Indian list. It's where Thali Too used to be. I had no idea it was there but stumbled into it while I was on Broadway a couple months ago and it was great; been back once since and it was very good once again. Their "Untidy Joseph" is basically a sloppy joe with ground , seasoned lamb on a griddled bun, with picked onions and a fried egg. Best thing I've had there so far, but their Hot Chicken Sandwich is also excellent.

I haven't tried House of Naan, which is also on their list, but now I'm eyeing it for lunch...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Looks great.

I've only scanned the list but one surprise was not seeing L'Orcio listed for best Italian, especially given the other ones on the list. I've been to six of the others listed--five of the them more than once--and L'Orcio is better than all of them imo.

Have you been to Sherkaan Indian Street Food in New Haven yet? Nice to see that it made their best Indian list. It's where Thali Too used to be. I had no idea it was there but stumbled into it while I was on Broadway a couple months ago and it was great; been back once since and it was very good once again. Their "Untidy Joseph" is basically a sloppy joe with ground , seasoned lamb on a griddled bun, with picked onions and a fried egg. Best thing I've had there so far, but their Hot Chicken Sandwich is also excellent.

I haven't tried House of Naan, which is also on their list, but now I'm eyeing it for lunch...

I am pretty much above all, these days at least, an Indian afficionado. At least once a week. Im not enamored with that list. They are all decent to excellent .....but........... Ive been all over the state. Last Friday I had the best Ive had in CT.

Kumar's in Manchester.

I may be a little biased because my time in India was spent southeast on the bay of Bengal (Chennai) which is different than standard Indian because of locale. More coconut used in certain dishes and more fish offerings.

This place nailed it. Was recommended it by someone I know here from Chennai, and it is in a strip mall plaza. Walked in and we were the only people not from southern india in the place. All Indian families, tables packed. I can't sing its praises loud enough.

Haveli in Middletown should be on list. More standard, but real good.

Taste of India in Mystic nails punjabi.

I do like Sherkaan alot.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am pretty much above all, these days at least, an Indian afficionado. At least once a week. Im not enamored with that list. They are all decent to excellent .....but........... Ive been all over the state. Last Friday I had the best Ive had in CT.

Kumar's in Manchester.

I may be a little biased because my time in India was spent southeast on the bay of Bengal (Chennai) which is different than standard Indian because of locale. More coconut used in certain dishes and more fish offerings.

This place nailed it. Was recommended it by someone I know here from Chennai, and it is in a strip mall plaza. Walked in and we were the only people not from southern india in the place. All Indian families, tables packed. I can't sing its praises loud enough.

Haveli in Middletown should be on list. More standard, but real good.

Taste of India in Mystic nails punjabi.

I do like Sherkaan alot.
Have you tried House of Naan? Worth it? How compare to Sherkaan?

August_West

Reaction Score
Have you tried House of Naan? Worth it? How compare to Sherkaan?

Haven’t been there yet. Want to try it.

One place that may or may not belong on best list but deserves honorable mention at least because of its uniqueness in Swad Tandoori in New London. Its REALLY good Northern Indian, but what makes it unique is its also Tibetan. I order Indian entree's there but we are hooked on a Tibetan appetizer called Momo.

Its exactly like a chinese dumping but filled with Tibetan/indian spiced ground chicken and served with this dipping sauce that doesnt adhere to any single regional flavor anywhere in the world that I can put my finger on. I want to drink it.

Incredibly good.

Reaction Score

They put Strega as one of the best overall excellence and Italian? I'm flabbergasted. I think Rosso Vino and Pasta Cosi are both better in Branford. @8893 agree about L'Orcio also. Adriana's is very good but wouldn't put it in the best category although you probably get more bang for your buck there than anywhere else but I probably group it with Tre Scalini and Portofino.

Adriana's opened a sister restaurant in North haven called La Lupa across from outback. They did a nice job in there with a large bar. Wasn't impressed with the food (especially the pizza) but went there first week they opened so might have to try again.

Love Luce in Hamden just don't get out that away enough

Reaction Score
Ha.

I ate at Carlson's landing last night on way back from Airport. Had the lamb. It was killer.
I've heard good things but also heard it's tad pricey. Essex bar regulars are in a panic with the Black Seal being closed. Don't want to pay the prices at Carlson's

August_West

Reaction Score
I've heard good things but also heard it's tad pricey. Essex bar regulars are in a panic with the Black Seal being closed. Don't want to pay the prices at Carlson's
Everything pricey in Essex these days. BlackJacks just opened too. Pricey.

The just opened a grill store, Swanky’s , sells grills and patio furniture. Really pricey.

The Essex/los charros pricey.

Don’t get me started on steam train ;)

Reaction Score
Talked to a restaurant owner said this list is rigged. If you advertise or pay they bump you up/ include you in the rankings

Reaction Score
Everything pricey in Essex these days. BlackJacks just opened too. Pricey.

The just opened a grill store, Swanky’s , sells grills and patio furniture. Really pricey.

The Essex/los charros pricey.

Don’t get me started on steam train ;)

Did work at swanky really nice people. Just don't know how they will make it. They plan on adding pizza ovens to sell this spring

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Did House of Naan for lunch today because I had a hankering for spicy food to clear my head, and because it provided a nice opportunity for a good walk there and back on a day with decent temps.

Good not great. Savory wings and Mulligatawny soup were both very good. Great flavoring in both, and real nice kick to the Mulligatawny. Got the salmon with Vindaloo and it was not as good or as flavorful as hoped. Waitress warned me off getting it "hot" and I shouldn't have listened because the "medium" was way too tame and the salmon was just okay. Bonus points for a nice Indian Sauvignon Blanc by the glass though, and the naan was also very good.

Definitely think Sherkaan is better, and Tikkaway is probably better, too, overall--or at least Tikkaway is better at the "protein plus sauce" deal, which is what the House of Naan lunch menu is.

Reaction Score
Had lunch at a new spot today, Five Corners Bistro opened last month in the old Stonewell in farmington after a lengthy renovation. The placed looked awesome and the food was very good.

They cook their chicken wings sous vide, then crisp and sauce them just before serving. They were great, tender, jucy, crispy!

Five Corners Bistro & Craft Bar

5C1.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not in CT and not fine dining but just wanted to throw this out there in case he didn't know there's a sandwich named for him (from a local wing chain named Big Shot Bob's):

Capture.JPG

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not in CT and not fine dining but just wanted to throw this out there in case he didn't know there's a sandwich named for him (from a local wing chain named Big Shot Bob's):

View attachment 49836
Interesting that "freshly" grilled is the lead selling point, in contrast to the Grilled Chicken sandwich above it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Then they should hit up the Blue Hound in Ivoryton.

I used the Best of list by the critics. We went to TexiKo in Hamden and we really liked it. The BBQ TexMex place is where Jackrabbit Slims and Mikro were, on Rt 10 in Hamden. Mikro moved one or two spaces over and in came this place. On Saturday night there was a poutine burrito as a special. I had brisket in mine. Sweet Jesus it was tasty.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
On Saturday night there was a poutine burrito as a special. I had brisket in mine. Sweet Jesus it was tasty.

OMG, the Primanti's ethos has invaded CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom