OT: Favorite CT restaurants

Reaction Score
Moxie - Madison
Grano Arso -Chester
Oyster Club - Mystic
Red 36- Mystic
Engine Room - Mystic
Copper Beach (Bar not formal dinning Room) - Essex/Ivoryton
The Essex -Essex (acquired taste, hit or miss. Menu changes every week)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Went to Otto tonight, pizza is great. I don’t recommend sitting inside during the summer with the wood oven in there, it was insanely hot,!!

The best restaurant in Chester is new, it’s called Grano Arso. Don’t even try without a reservation unless you get there at 4:45 and try the bar.

River Tavern was awesome 10 years ago but has gone down hill imo.
The owner of River Tavern and Otto opened Wright's Steak in Centerbrook. He rebranded and then closed within a year of opening.

I think The Essex, in Centerbrook, is open 3 days a week and the owner wants to add a cooking school to the establishment.

Reaction Score
The owner of River Tavern and Otto opened Wright's Steak in Centerbrook. He rebranded and then closed within a year of opening.

I think The Essex, in Centerbrook, is open 3 days a week and the owner wants to add a cooking school to the establishment.

The service always sucked at Wright’s and they were offering an average product not close to the price point. I was really excited when they went in bcuz I was hopeful for another option on the shoreline but after going several times it was no surprise they closed.

The Essex has a burger night which includes a beer for $20. Not a bad option for those who prefer a casual option. The owner/chef has come to our table every time we’ve eaten there to check in. He’s definately trying to keep the momentum

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My favorite breakfast place Pastrami on Wry which happens to be a half mile from home closed down mysteriously about a month ago. Rumor is the owner (who also owns a couple other spots) is in horrendous gambling debt. They had incredible hashes for breakfast and great sandwiches. I guess the place has been bought. Hope it reopens soon and keeps the winning form.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They had incredible hashes for breakfast and great sandwiches.

The last time I went to Pastrami on Wry the "hash" was less of a hash, more like mashed potatoes with some pink flecks mixed in. No thanks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The service always sucked at Wright’s and they were offering an average product not close to the price point. I was really excited when they went in bcuz I was hopeful for another option on the shoreline but after going several times it was no surprise they closed.

The Essex has a burger night which includes a beer for $20. Not a bad option for those who prefer a casual option. The owner/chef has come to our table every time we’ve eaten there to check in. He’s definately trying to keep the momentum

Wrights was a disaster. Shouldnt have been but was.

The Essex. I can throw a rock from my desk and hit it as I type this.

I like it. They are trying hard, but I fear for them.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wrights was a disaster. Shouldnt have been but was.

The Essex. I can throw a rock from my desk and hit it as I type this.

I like it. They are trying hard, but I fear for them.
Colt Taylor's first menu had a foie gras on it. I shuddered.

Reaction Score
My favorite breakfast place Pastrami on Wry which happens to be a half mile from home closed down mysteriously about a month ago. Rumor is the owner (who also owns a couple other spots) is in horrendous gambling debt. They had incredible hashes for breakfast and great sandwiches. I guess the place has been bought. Hope it reopens soon and keeps the winning form.
They weren’t paying the help at the end

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Less classy spots:
Valencia Luncharia in Norwalk - really good lunch spot for Venezuelan/Spanish food. Quick and tasty. Get the pernil or any of the arepas.

Piolin in Hartford (I like the New Britain Ave one better than the Franklin Ave) - awesome authentic Peruvian food. Do not skimp on the green sauce

Scott's Bakery on Albany Ave in Hartford - keep it simple with beef patties and some coco bread

A little classier:
Nataz in North Branford or Southington - price fixe menu, BYOB, great specials all the time, and always have a great experience

Zohara in West Hartford - this has quickly become one of mine and my wife's favorite places to grab a drink and some apps. The meals are good too but you can just order a ton of apps and share and be satisfied.

The North House in Avon - excellent fine dining spot with some very cool dining rooms.

Reaction Score
Haven't but will be in the area this weekend. I may have to check it out.
You and Doggie might want to try Franks in Mystic. just north of the 95 overpass on rte 27, Old Mystic part of town. No water views though.

Reaction Score
9C606004-19E3-4B64-BE79-B37B115AA64A.jpeg
Less classy spots:

Valencia Luncharia in Norwalk - really good lunch spot for Venezuelan/Spanish food. Quick and tasty. Get the pernil or any of the arepas.

Piolin in Hartford (I like the New Britain Ave one better than the Franklin Ave) - awesome authentic Peruvian food. Do not skimp on the green sauce

Scott's Bakery on Albany Ave in Hartford - keep it simple with beef patties and some coco bread

A little classier:
Nataz in North Branford or Southington - price fixe menu, BYOB, great specials all the time, and always have a great experience

Zohara in West Hartford - this has quickly become one of mine and my wife's favorite places to grab a drink and some apps. The meals are good too but you can just order a ton of apps and share and be satisfied.

The North House in Avon - excellent fine dining spot with some very cool dining rooms.
Less classy spots:

A little classier:

Reaction Score
Ok, we tried Red36 last Saturday. I'd classify it as very high end pub fare. Good burgers, really good appetizers. I'd definitely go back, probably in the off-season when it's not so crazy.

Reaction Score
Ok, we tried Red36 last Saturday. I'd classify it as very high end pub fare. Good burgers, really good appetizers. I'd definitely go back, probably in the off-season when it's not so crazy.
Went there last summer. The food was just as you describe, altogether pretty good. The setting and ambiance were great though. I love that feeling of being outdoors while still being inside.

Reaction Score
Finally made it to River Tavern in Chester over the weekend. We are def going back to try Grano Arso too. They have this new little brew house that reminds me of a coffee shop. Great little town!

Went to Shell and Bones and Harvest in New Haven last week for Restaurant week. Both places were great and hopping!

Has anyone been to Cast Iron in New Haven yet?

Reaction Score
Finally made it to River Tavern in Chester over the weekend. We are def going back to try Grano Arso too. They have this new little brew house that reminds me of a coffee shop. Great little town!

Went to Shell and Bones and Harvest in New Haven last week for Restaurant week. Both places were great and hopping!

Has anyone been to Cast Iron in New Haven yet?

Cast Iron has very good reviews and I hope it does well. They were previously located in Trumbull which I have been to a number of times, and I think there was some family dysfunction which led to the disintegration of Marisa's in Trumbull which was a solid if non-noteworthy spot for a steak dinner. It could be different now but I always viewed it as a good local option for me if I wanted a quick drive for a nice dinner, but not worthy perhaps of the competition it would face in a place like New Haven.

Reaction Score
Went to J Timothy’s for the first time this weekend. Was excited for the dirt wings. Was disappointed by the dirt wings. They were fine but not worthy of the considerable hype IMO. Their claim was that the double frying made for a crispier wing (which is my jam) but it was just as soggy as anywheres else. It was still tasty enough but not some world beater. They were getting freaking slammed though so I’m trying not to hold it against them too much. We had a reservation but the walkins had a 90-minute wait.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Anybody try Bread & Water yet in Middletown? I try to avoid jail.

Reaction Score
Went to J Timothy’s for the first time this weekend. Was excited for the dirt wings. Was disappointed by the dirt wings. They were fine but not worthy of the considerable hype IMO. Their claim was that the double frying made for a crispier wing (which is my jam) but it was just as soggy as anywheres else. It was still tasty enough but not some world beater. They were getting freaking slammed though so I’m trying not to hold it against them too much. We had a reservation but the walkins had a 90-minute wait.

Pro tip. If you have that long a wait, you have to order them well done. I usually try to go on off times like 2:00.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom