OT: Favorite CT restaurants | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
We've seen the epic pizza & hot dog threads. We love to eat. I'd like a running list of favorite CT restaurants & their towns. Causal, fine dining, international, hidden gems. Where must we dine?

Lately, I'm into street tacos. Big fan of Bar Taco in Weha for the vibe & selection. Also just tried Jamie's new spot Chango Rosa downtown Hartford. Try the tri tip tacos, shrimp pinchos, or burnt end enchiladas.

On my list places to try, I hear good reviews on The Spicy Greenbean in Glastonbury & Banana Brazil (all u can eat) charasco Hartford.

Fun & laid back, try Shad Row on the water in Rocky Hill. Seasonal & byob.

I look forward to reading your selections. Have a nice Summer.

Mike/ Gemparty

Curiouser
Reaction Score
L'Orcio in New Haven is my top choice if the weather is nice and you can make a reservation for a table outside. It's my second choice otherwise.

Union League otherwise, especially if you can do a later afternoon lunch and linger. The food, wine and service are always excellent, and the room is always great, but the natural afternoon light really adds to all of it imo.

Bistro Mediterranean in East Haven for best fine dining value.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Jimmys of Savin Rock
US Chowder Pot- Branford
China Pavilion - Orange
Sandra's soul food- New Haven
Chucks steakhouse- Danbury ( closed)
Ralph and Rich's -Bridgeport

Favorite franchise- Longhorn steakhouse -
Their outlaw ribeye is special.

Reaction Score
Millwright's in Simsbury
L'Orcio in New Haven

Mikro in Hamden and Ideal Tavern in Southington are great craft beer bars serving top notch food.

Oyster Club in Mystic (not S&P, which sucks)

Penny Lane Pub in Saybrook

Mecha noodle bar in Norwalk, Fairfield or New Haven.

Roia in New Haven, particularly for their wine pairing dinners that hey put together with the Wine Thief.

David Burke in Foxwoods is far and away the best steakhouse in the state, but the state is lacking in that category.

For Upscale dining, either Union League or On20 or Cavey's.

We really want to try le Petit Cafe soon

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Because of the crowds, I've only gotten to Mecha (New Haven) twice so far. I've tried the bao and ramen and really liked both. Any other suggestions there?

What do you recommend at Penny Lane Pub? I've been there for a pint before but don't think I've ever eaten there.

Reaction Score
Because of the crowds, I've only gotten to Mecha (New Haven) twice so far. I've tried the bao and ramen and really liked both. Any other suggestions there?

What do you recommend at Penny Lane Pub? I've been there for a pint before but don't think I've ever eaten there.

Like you, I've stuck with the Ramen and Bao at Mecha. I need to branch out. It was just such a welcome change to have a good noodle place around that I had to include it on the list. I've eaten at their Norwalk location more than NH.

Penny Lane's menu is pretty much standard pub fare, but I think their chili is first rate, and the wife loves the salmon burger. The mussels in coconut lemongrass broth were another favorite before I developed the shellfish allergy.

Reaction Score
Italian: Roma Ristorane, Watertown
Mediterranean: Barcelona, West Hartford
Bar/Pub: The Stomping Ground, Putnam

Reaction Score
Spicy Green Bean in Glastonbury is excellent. Many great wraps and entrees and the Asian noodle side dish is fantastic.

Muddy Waters Cafe in New London is another sleeper. Great food in a funky coffee house type setting.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Millwright's in Simsbury
L'Orcio in New Haven

Mikro in Hamden and Ideal Tavern in Southington are great craft beer bars serving top notch food.

Oyster Club in Mystic (not S&P, which sucks)

Roia in New Haven, particularly for their wine pairing dinners that hey put together with the Wine Thief.

David Burke in Foxwoods is far and away the best steakhouse in the state, but the state is lacking in that category.

For Upscale dining, either Union League or On20 or Cavey's.

We really want to try le Petit Cafe soon
Speaking of Millwrights. Looking forward to his new joint venture Cook & Bear in Blue Back Weha.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Millwrights. Looking forward to his new joint venture Cook & Bear in Blue Back Weha.
Absolutely. Opening has been delayed a bit but I will get there soon after they are up and running.

Reaction Score
Totally forgot to mention Ibiza Tapas in Hamden. Small, and the service can be pokey, but the food is outstanding.

Reaction Score
We've seen the epic pizza & hot dog threads. We love to eat. I'd like a running list of favorite CT restaurants & their towns. Causal, fine dining, international, hidden gems. Where must we dine?

Lately, I'm into street tacos. Big fan of Bar Taco in Weha for the vibe & selection. Also just tried Jamie's new spot Chango Rosa downtown Hartford. Try the tri tip tacos, shrimp pinchos, or burnt end enchiladas.

On my list places to try, I hear good reviews on The Spicy Greenbean in Glastonbury & Banana Brazil (all u can eat) charasco Hartford.

Mike/ Gemparty

Mike/ Gemparty
Gabriels in Orange. Best food, reasonable, large portions.
Jimmys in West haven for sea food.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Opening has been delayed a bit but I will get there soon after they are up and running.
It's been "coming soon" for like 10 months. I'm dying for it to open.

Not many people have mentioned Glastonbury, but 2 Hopewell and Sayulita are very good too.

For Italian, Carbone's Kitchen in Bloomfield is great and it's always easy to grab a table. I was at a wedding last week (ironically Jim Calhoun was there too, I only said "Hi coach" to him) and they did the catering, the apps were insane.

Reaction Score

I think they are just about ready to go. Jamie and Tyler's lawyer/PR guy was posting some things in Facebook recently about it.

Reaction Score
I'm the architect for that project so I know first hand about all the delays --picky landlord, tough Building Department, lots of changes during design, complete design change to the facade during construction. Then the contractor was seriously injured in a head-on collision during construction. It's a relief to see it finished.

Also check out the place next door I designed called India for some great Indian food.

Reaction Score
Ludal's in North Haven is always good

Moxie in Madison is good

Not a huge Union League person, like Le Petit in Branford if you want French

Virtually every Max is great, kids and wife have hit Max Burger and like that one too

My favorite steak place is MJ's @ Mohegan, want to try Joseph's in Bridgeport one of these days too

New Haven doesn't get national acclaim as a foodie city, but you can put it up against any comparably sized placed and it would probably beat any. The diversity and $$ of Yale lets them have a little of everything, of course with great pizza & Italian

Reaction Score
I think they are just about ready to go. Jamie and Tyler's lawyer/PR guy was posting some things in Facebook recently about it.

Yup next week it is. From We-Ha.com (West Hartford Business Buzz: July 10, 2017 - We-Ha | West Hartford News).
  • It’s official! Cook and the Bear (50 Memorial Rd. in Blue Back Square) has announced an opening date of July 18. I’ll have a feature story with photos of the interior and exterior, and details about the menu, as soon as possible! You can follow the restaurant on Facebook for up-to-date details.

Reaction Score
Jimmys of Savin Rock
US Chowder Pot- Branford
China Pavilion - Orange
Sandra's soul food- New Haven
Chucks steakhouse- Danbury ( closed)
Ralph and Rich's -Bridgeport

Favorite franchise- Longhorn steakhouse -
Their outlaw ribeye is special.
If you like Ralph &Rich's you have to try Testo's where Ralph & Rich got their start!

Reaction Score
I work in New Haven now so I appreciate all the responses about the area. Not fine dining but I love Zoi's on Orange Street.

Sayulita in Glastonbury is without a doubt my favorite place to eat.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I work in New Haven now so I appreciate all the responses about the area. Not fine dining but I love Zoi's on Orange Street.

Sayulita in Glastonbury is without a doubt my favorite place to eat.

just went last night. the wait is usually about an hour and they don't take reservations, but it is a phenomenal restaurant

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was a regular at Zoi's for years and have gone back semi-regularly a few times since, but I noticed that the more often I got lunch there--even the "healthy" choice--the more often I started eating less well and feeling less well generally. Great tasting sandwiches and salads, and love the fish taco and gyro specials, but ultimately too many calories for my usual lunch these days. Pete is a good guy though and I am glad to see him do well in that spot for so long.

For the past few years my favorite on the street in that category is P&M Orange Street Market, where I usually go for the custom salads for which you pick your own ingredients. But the sandwiches are excellent, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom