OT: Favorite CT restaurants | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

Reaction Score
Less classy spots:
Valencia Luncharia in Norwalk - really good lunch spot for Venezuelan/Spanish food. Quick and tasty. Get the pernil or any of the arepas.
I live in Norwalk and Valencia is consistently excellent. They even catered our wedding and their food plus the service was top notch. Plus, in the summertime you could eat outside on their sand patio. Good people there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Has anyone been to Cast Iron in New Haven yet?
Cast Iron has very good reviews and I hope it does well. They were previously located in Trumbull which I have been to a number of times, and I think there was some family dysfunction which led to the disintegration of Marisa's in Trumbull which was a solid if non-noteworthy spot for a steak dinner. It could be different now but I always viewed it as a good local option for me if I wanted a quick drive for a nice dinner, but not worthy perhaps of the competition it would face in a place like New Haven.
Cast Iron is very good; dinner menu much better than new, limited lunch menu.

I went for a dinner with a large group and tried almost everything on the menu, and it was all very good--especially the steaks (duh!) and appetizers. I think it's a better steakhouse than Jack's.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went to Shell and Bones and Harvest in New Haven last week for Restaurant week. Both places were great and hopping!
Love the setting of Shell and Bones; Restaurant week is certainly the time to go there and Harvest, as I find them both overpriced for what you get.

Bottom line for me is that, if a place is almost as expensive as Union League, I'd almost always rather just eat at Union League.

Reaction Score

I went for a dinner with a large group and tried almost everything on the menu, and it was all very good--especially the steaks (duh!) and appetizers. I think it's a better steakhouse than Jack's.
I went to Jacks and it literally took me 2 hours to get my steak. Hopefully no one else has to go through that same experience.

Looking forward to trying Jet2Nolo in New Haven and the new Casues opening up (I believe they are calling it Olmo?) The owner of Casues, on top of his other projects, is now brewing beers for The Stack in New Haven.

Reaction Score
my uconn buddies have a tradition of going out to a different restaurant in new haven on Thanksgiving Eve. This year, it’s between Olea and Cast Iron.

We did Union League a few years back. Last year we stepped outside of new haven and ate at Bar Bouche in Madison.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
my uconn buddies have a tradition of going out to a different restaurant in new haven on Thanksgiving Eve. This year, it’s between Olea and Cast Iron.

We did Union League a few years back. Last year we stepped outside of new haven and ate at Bar Bouche in Madison.
Have you been to L’Orcio?

Reaction Score
J Timothy's and Willi-Brew are my favorites for pub food.
I love Roma in Watertown for Italian. Double pork chop is killer!

If you're out in the NW corner, try Monaco's in Winsted for a phenomenal pizza, great Italian dishes or a steak. Yes, a steak. Their steak peppercorn beats any steakhouse around. It uses a peppercorn sauce from a veal based stock, its not like a dry peppercorn rub like you would get at Flemings. You'll use their homemade bread to soak up every last bit of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Agree. Cast Iron >>>Jack's.

Can't go wrong w/ either @Sprague03. Depends on what the group's looking to chew on. Both are unique in their own way/menu. I think Cast Iron's bar is a tad better than Olea's for after dinner nightcaps if so inclined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I took my girlfriend to Sayulita's in South Glastonbury Friday night. It was exceptional. The place is small and incredibly popular so parking is tough and there may be a line, but the food, service and atmosphere were all great.

Reaction Score
I took my girlfriend to Sayulita's in South Glastonbury Friday night. It was exceptional. The place is small and incredibly popular so parking is tough and there may be a line, but the food, service and atmosphere were all great.
If you're close to Brookfield 4 Corners, check out Portabello. It's BYOB but the food is off the charts and the portions are huge. Kenny is a terrific chef.

Reaction Score
A Q: in either Chester or Deep River in a 1-2 block 'downtown' section w a few restaurants, there is (used to be?) a small French place. What is name, and is it any good?

Reaction Score

Worst decision you ever made, man. I took my SO there maybe 6 months ago and she wants to go ALL THE TIME now. Hasn't gone to New Haven for pizza with me since.

Reaction Score
If you're close to Brookfield 4 Corners, check out Portabello. It's BYOB but the food is off the charts and the portions are huge. Kenny is a terrific chef.
Just down the road is another good Italian spot, Pulcinella. Great wood fired pizza and traditional Italian food. Always crowded, especially during Happy Hour because of their great drink/food prices.

Reaction Score
Just down the road is another good Italian spot, Pulcinella. Great wood fired pizza and traditional Italian food. Always crowded, especially during Happy Hour because of their great drink/food prices.
Thanks, how are the prices at Pulcinella? Thing I always liked about Portabello with the huge portions and great food, was walking in there with three kids and a wife, the bill was like......."wow, that's all?"

Reaction Score
1) Cafe Silvium in Stamford
2) Kawa Ni in Westport
3) Hoodoo Brown BBQ in Ridgefield
4) Sarah’s Wine Bar in Ridgefield
5) Cherry Street East in New Canaan

Reaction Score
I think they are fair, especially if you compare them to say Ridgefield or lower Fairfield county. Here is their menu:

Again, a lot of people go for the Happy Hour specials. They have a good size bar/lounge area. 4-7 pm during the week with $6 wine/cocktails (they pour you at least a double) $3 beer and you can get wings or a traditional pizza for $5.

My wife and I live 5 minutes from the 4 corners so we do a lot of pizza takeout from there, but there regular dishes are exceptional. My wife is gluten free and she says its the best gluten free pizza she has ever had.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
A Q: in either Chester or Deep River in a 1-2 block 'downtown' section w a few restaurants, there is (used to be?) a small French place. What is name, and is it any good?
I think you are thinking of Restaurant du Village in Chester. It has been closed for around a decade, unfortunately. It was excellent. Enjoyed several great dinners there.

Reaction Score
Bringing this thread back... We recently moved across the river to East Hampton. Any recommendations for a restaurant around those parts? There's a French place in town that looked promising but is getting pretty awful reviews.

Reaction Score
Bringing this thread back... We recently moved across the river to East Hampton. Any recommendations for a restaurant around those parts? There's a French place in town that looked promising but is getting pretty awful reviews.

Sayulita in South Glastonbury and Cafe Mangia in Colchester are both great and shouldn't be too far a drive.

Reaction Score
Millwright's in Simsbury
L'Orcio in New Haven

Mikro in Hamden and Ideal Tavern in Southington are great craft beer bars serving top notch food.

Oyster Club in Mystic (not S&P, which sucks)

Penny Lane Pub in Saybrook

Mecha noodle bar in Norwalk, Fairfield or New Haven.

Roia in New Haven, particularly for their wine pairing dinners that hey put together with the Wine Thief.

David Burke in Foxwoods is far and away the best steakhouse in the state, but the state is lacking in that category.

For Upscale dining, either Union League or On20 or Cavey's.

We really want to try le Petit Cafe soon
Le Petit Cafe is amazing, rivaling even Union Leagues for overall food quality.

Reaction Score

Don’t they have a Rossini’s in East Hampton still? Never been there but I think same owners as Cheshire.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Probably because of Whaler. He’s also in that area and he hates every restaurant that’s not The Bar in Newington.

Reaction Score
Don’t they have a Rossini’s in East Hampton still? Never been there but I think same owners as Cheshire.

They do and it's solid... But looking for a Bday dinner spot for the Mrs. that is new and not 600 miles away. I love living here, but it takes forever to get anywhere.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Went to Olea for our anniversary a few months ago. It was outstanding. I would put it on the same level as Union League or L'Orcio. For appetizers, I recommend the jamón ibérico (best prosciutto ever) and the ceviche; and I strongly recommend the cochinillo main (roasted boneless suckling pig).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom