OT: Favorite CT restaurants | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

Reaction Score
Agave in hartford is not bad for Mex.
Try the Agave Street Taco's. 4 margaritas help

Ate at Chango Rosa yesterday. It's Bear's new restaurant where Hot Tomato's used to be. Not really mexican, it's "latin inspired". I thought it was a pretty cool place, flavorful food, margaritas were freshly made. Weird music choices with singles from Rage Against the Machine and Bush playing, but worth checking out.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ivoryton Tavern is good if you like big burgers at a low price.

My cousin's used to own that joint year ago. Fun place back in the day.

Its so hit or miss these days. Its 3 minutes from my work, I used to eat lunch there a lot. (maybe 2-3 times a month). Something changed. The Burgers were big and decent. fairly standard pub fair and priced reasonably and then something changed.
A couple years ago I took a vendor there and got the worst food Ive ever had in my lifetime. THe Burgers tasted like bleach or Ammonia like they were trying to prolong the life of the meat. I mean I couldnt eat more than a bite, and it wasnt just the meat the toppings and everything were just disgusting.

Tried again a few months ago. Didnt taste the chems this time but still nowhere near what it was. Im done with them.

Reaction Score
Its so hit or miss these days. Its 3 minutes from my work, I used to eat lunch there a lot. (maybe 2-3 times a month). Something changed. The Burgers were big and decent. fairly standard pub fair and priced reasonably and then something changed.
A couple years ago I took a vendor there and got the worst food Ive ever had in my lifetime. THe Burgers tasted like bleach or Ammonia like they were trying to prolong the life of the meat. I mean I couldnt eat more than a bite, and it wasnt just the meat the toppings and everything were just disgusting.

Tried again a few months ago. Didnt taste the chems this time but still nowhere near what it was. Im done with them.

Yeah not quite sure when they sold it but it was quite a while ago I do believe. The owner was Peter C and his daughter used to bartend there years ago - his wife was my cousin, Kathy C (formerly Scully)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ate at Chango Rosa yesterday. It's Bear's new restaurant where Hot Tomato's used to be. Not really mexican, it's "latin inspired". I thought it was a pretty cool place, flavorful food, margaritas were freshly made. Weird music choices with singles from Rage Against the Machine and Bush playing, but worth checking out.
The guy named his restaurant "Pink Monkey." Wow, that takes huge huevos. Thought that name was only reserved for strip clubs.

Reaction Score
So Hartford restaurants named Firebox and Pink Monkey. The city is all of a sudden looking cooler.

Reaction Score
Since Roomba (NH) closed 15 years ago, I'd guess that Cafe Routier in Westbrook is the best casual fine dining in the state.

They have separate seasonal and regional menus updated each season, so you can explore your palate, in addition to a regular menu. The bar is excellent as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Since Roomba (NH) closed 15 years ago, I'd guess that Cafe Routier in Westbrook is the best casual fine dining in the state.

They have separate seasonal and regional menus updated each season, so you can explore your palate, in addition to a regular menu. The bar is excellent as well.
Big fan. Been many times since original location and have never been disappointed. Just ate there again two weeks ago after not having been for a year or so and was reminded how consistently good it is.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Where do you like for great water views?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where do you like for great water views?
I like Boom in Westbrook.

Lobster Landing, in addition to the world's best lobster roll, has a nice water view too.

Heading to Coast Guard House in Narragansett for dinner tonight. Supposed to have a tremendous panoramic water view. Will report back.

Reaction Score

The owner of routier is a family friend. His mother owns cafe Elizabeth in Madison.

I think le petit is better than routier but routier never disappoints

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Lobster Landing is great. Any place to crack crabs with a mallet that you know of?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Newtown, CT favorites:
My Place restaurant
Tambassio's
The Barnwood
The Foundry
Figs
The Diner at Exit 10
Sal & Pepe's

Monroe:
The Tavern
El Coyote - also in Brookfield

Danbury:
Chuck's Steak House
Jim Barbarie's
Della Francesca

New Milford:
The Cookhouse

Reaction Score
I wish I could get some food from O'Rourke's Diner. Or Augie and Ray's with ice cream from either UConn Dairy Bar, We-Lik-It, Shady Glen or Dr. Mike's...and if Mickey's Oceanic Grill on Pitkin St. East Hartford, is still around, the fried clams.

Reaction Score
You should try the food trucks by Yale hospital. Cedar st I believe. Lots of different options and most are pretty good. Theres also healthy food options because a lot of the Drs and nurses get food there

Is Connecticut getting food trucks, too? Here in Tampa, we have lots of food trucks. A year ago, the state fairgrounds had a food truck rally and 250 food trucks were set up. One was serving Maine lobsters - the most expensive food truck meal I ate.

Reaction Score
Spicy Green Bean in Glastonbury is excellent. Many great wraps and entrees and the Asian noodle side dish is fantastic.

Muddy Waters Cafe in New London is another sleeper. Great food in a funky coffee house type setting.

Try Fat Boys in new London as well. Very solid!

Reaction Score
Millwright's in Simsbury
L'Orcio in New Haven

Mikro in Hamden and Ideal Tavern in Southington are great craft beer bars serving top notch food.

Oyster Club in Mystic (not S&P, which sucks)

Penny Lane Pub in Saybrook

Mecha noodle bar in Norwalk, Fairfield or New Haven.

Roia in New Haven, particularly for their wine pairing dinners that hey put together with the Wine Thief.

David Burke in Foxwoods is far and away the best steakhouse in the state, but the state is lacking in that category.

For Upscale dining, either Union League or On20 or Cavey's.

We really want to try le Petit Cafe soon

Went to Oyster Club on Friday with my wife, I love that place. Never had even an “average”meal there it’s always exceptional! Had a NY Strip which was pan seared and it was easily in the top 3 I’ve ever had in my life, and I do a lot of entertaining with work clients. The scallop special was ridiculously fantastic as well.

Been to Red 36 in Mystic? Can’t beat the location right on the water!

Reaction Score
The East Side in New Britain. Has authentic German/Bavarian cuisine and the best beer selection in my opinion.

The best part about the east side is the frost plates upstairs. Keeps the tall beers frosty! I’m a big fan of “Das Boot,”

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Our fave go-tos near us:

Jalapeno Heaven in Branford
Christy's Madison in Madison (formerly Dolly Madison Inn)
Haveli India in Middletown
The Stand in Branford
Knuckleheads in Wallingford
Blue Hound Cookery and Taproom in Ivoryton (Essex)
Shoreline Diner in Guilford is great every time!!

(We ain't classy)

Reaction Score
Did River Tavern a couple of days ago (couldn't convince my wife to try Otto)... It was pretty good. Was a little bit weirded out by being seated right next to the kitchen and watching our (and others) food just sit there for a while. They really need additional help.

Went to Otto tonight, pizza is great. I don’t recommend sitting inside during the summer with the wood oven in there, it was insanely hot,!!

The best restaurant in Chester is new, it’s called Grano Arso. Don’t even try without a reservation unless you get there at 4:45 and try the bar.

River Tavern was awesome 10 years ago but has gone down hill imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom