OT: Favorite CT restaurants | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite CT restaurants

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I work in New Haven now so I appreciate all the responses about the area. Not fine dining but I love Zoi's on Orange Street.

Sayulita in Glastonbury is without a doubt my favorite place to eat.
Lobster enchiladas!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't speak to restaurant dining in CT in the past 20 years as every time I go back, my friends want to eat uninspired bar food and/or my brother takes me to places around Danbury that are actually in NY. However, I will say that the best burrito I've had in CT was the Green Grunion food truck.

I also know that the best coffeehouse in CT is NEAT in Darien. And would also vouch for the churros at Lorca on Bedford St. in Stamford.

Reaction Score
I was a regular at Zoi's for years and have gone back semi-regularly a few times since, but I noticed that the more often I got lunch there--even the "healthy" choice--the more often I started eating less well and feeling less well generally. Great tasting sandwiches and salads, and love the fish taco and gyro specials, but ultimately too many calories for my usual lunch these days. Pete is a good guy though and I am glad to see him do well in that spot for so long.

For the past few years my favorite on the street in that category is P&M Orange Street Market, where I usually go for the custom salads for which you pick your own ingredients. But the sandwiches are excellent, too.

I frequent the taco trucks on Long Wharf for better or worse. I can't say no to street tacos.

Any other lunch spots you like? I am in and around Chapel Street and GA23 court.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I frequent the taco trucks on Long Wharf for better or worse. I can't say no to street tacos.

Any other lunch spots you like? I am in and around Chapel Street and GA23 court.
I like the trucks but don't get down there often.

I'm jammed up now and trying to head out for vacation, but off the top of my head in that general area I like Tikkaway (Indian), Mediterranea (Middle Eastern), Zafra (Cuban), Cafe Java, the Jasmine food cart, Mecha Noodle Bar, Prime 16, Beer Collective.

Reaction Score
I'll go in a different direction. Hot and Spicy chicken for lunch at Saigon Kitchen in Hartford. Lived on it for years when I worked next door. Still go back for it. The line is still out the door.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll go in a different direction. Hot and Spicy chicken for lunch at Saigon Kitchen in Hartford. Lived on it for years when I worked next door. Still go back for it. The line is still out the door.
So you still eat meat sometimes?

Reaction Score
Vinted in blue back square in west Hartford doesn't get enough love. Pork Belly tacks there are my absolute favorite.

Love El Sarape in hartford and los adobes in west Hartford as well for really good tacos

Reaction Score
I like the trucks but don't get down there often.

I'm jammed up now and trying to head out for vacation, but off the top of my head in that general area I like Tikkaway (Indian), Mediterranea (Middle Eastern), Zafra (Cuban), Cafe Java, the Jasmine food cart, Mecha Noodle Bar, Prime 16, Beer Collective.

Have you tried Elm City Social yet? A couple of my coworkers have raved about it.

Reaction Score

Not to take this OT but since you asked and it's walking distance for you - Vito's Deli on Center Street (btwn Church and Orange) for a sangwich. Either the Godfather or the Salami, Pepperoni, Prov, Roasted Peppers.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have you tried Elm City Social yet? A couple of my coworkers have raved about it.

No but have also heard very good things. Are they the same people as Woodbridge Social? I have been there and liked it.

Not to take this OT but since you asked and it's walking distance for you - Vito's Deli on Center Street (btwn Church and Orange) for a sangwich. Either the Godfather or the Salami, Pepperoni, Prov, Roasted Peppers.

Haven't been there in years but that was always a legendary sangwich, so much so that you could make another sandwich from the stuff that falls out while eating.

I'm nostalgic and somewhat amazed at how much I used to eat for lunch.

Reaction Score

I've gone to Vito's very good spot! I'm still waiting to try Caseus and the Jitterbus.

Reaction Score
So you still eat meat sometimes?

I've eaten meat a bunch in 2017. Long story. I find the combo of limited alcohol, no meat and exercise was a three headed puzzle. If I go on a drinking bender, I have to cut out meat and exercise more. If I stop exercising, I have to ratchet back the food and drink. So I am eating meat sometimes and trying to balance it back with the other two. It ain't easy. To be honest I think I'll go back off it completely again soon.

Reaction Score
The best meal I've had recently was Bonda in Fairfield. Been to Mecha twice, got ramen both times. Didn't like either meal. Then went to Ivan Ramen and disliked my meal. I think I just don't like ramen. What else is good at Mecha? Or is the ramen really the standout?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The best meal I've had recently was Bonda in Fairfield. Been to Mecha twice, got ramen both times. Didn't like either meal. Then went to Ivan Ramen and disliked my meal. I think I just don't like ramen. What else is good at Mecha? Or is the ramen really the standout?
The Bao is very good but the Ramen is the thing. Theirs is very good so I suspect you don't like Ramen. I'd try a Bao and tell them you don't like Ramen and ask what else they'd recommend. Staff has been very good and well informed both times I've been.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've eaten meat a bunch in 2017. Long story. I find the combo of limited alcohol, no meat and exercise was a three headed puzzle. If I go on a drinking bender, I have to cut out meat and exercise more. If I stop exercising, I have to ratchet back the food and drink. So I am eating meat sometimes and trying to balance it back with the other two. It ain't easy. To be honest I think I'll go back off it completely again soon.
I hear you. I've lost 60 lbs. since last August mostly through a lot more exercise, less booze and more sensible eating overall, but now I want to hold and it's a delicate balance. I don't eat a lot of red meat though. Less than once a week.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Zia Cucina in Waterbury. It's a hidden gem in a bad neighborhood, but well worth it.

OMG, can't believe somebody else knows about this place :)

Paglia Fieno, 1249 Recipe, an all-time favorite

I loved the 1249

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Roma, Treva, Chowder Pot , Bar American, Michael Jordan's, Ruths' Chris, Somewhere Near Bangkok, El Pulpo, Portofinos, Ralph & Rich's,..................too damn many to name them all

I think Treva in West Hartford is my favorite currently

Reaction Score
I haven't lived in CT for 10 years, but I was impressed with a recent visit to Castello for a small city like Danbury. Its a family run place and they do a very nice job. I believe they are NYC expats. I recommend the caesar which they toss table side and also the branzino which they filet table side.

Castello Restaurant - Danbury, CT

Very friendly. Mom & pop in the kitchen, the boys serving, and sis hostessing. Nice to see.

On a side note. I went to La Voile on Newbury St in Boston tonight and it was excellent. The lamb and Dover Sole! Very under the radar place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OMG, can't believe somebody else knows about this place :)

Paglia Fieno, 1249 Recipe, an all-time favorite

I loved the 1249

Their rigatoni w/ sausage, escarole and beans is so simple but the bomb. Healthy dose of crushed red and it's lit!

Reaction Score
Also was always fond of Carol Peck's Good News Cafe in Woodbury.

Another solid choice. John's cafe across the street is also good. I think Marketplace is the best on that strip, however.

Reaction Score
Nataz north Branford. Byob and can't beat the price, portion size and food is fantastic.

My brothers father in law literally drives 1+ hr any time he hears we are going there because he enjoyed it so much after we had my brothers engagement party there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom