OT - favorite "craft" coffee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - favorite "craft" coffee

Reaction Score
Jl their Guatemala and El Salvador beans are my favorite)

Guatemalan coffee is incredible and the coffee culture, once you get there (if you were to ever visit) is quite unique and very interesting. As my Colombian wife said, they know what they are doing. Colombia is another country known for its coffee but they export all the good stuff so if you were to ever travel to Colombia, well, it is a gorgeous country but the best coffee is not domestic, lets just say that...plus the coffee culture in Colombia is nowhere near that of Guatemala. Hey, I love El Salvador btw, some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, so humble and laid back, but the coffee does not compare to Guate. Guate has amazing coffee and very friendly people. If you like the coffee state side, go to Guate for a visit, learn and enjoy the coffee culture there, go to some of the best coffee shops (while possibly seeing an active volcano erupt somewhat nearby (this can be done in Antigua)at the same time), you won't be disappointed!

Reaction Score
Guatemalan coffee is incredible and the coffee culture, once you get there (if you were to ever visit) is quite unique and very interesting. As my Colombian wife said, they know what they are doing. Colombia is another country known for its coffee but they export all the good stuff so if you were to ever travel to Colombia, well, it is a gorgeous country but the best coffee is not domestic, lets just say that...plus the coffee culture in Colombia is nowhere near that of Guatemala. Hey, I love El Salvador btw, some of the nicest people I have ever met in my life, so humble and laid back, but the coffee does not compare to Guate. Guate has amazing coffee and very friendly people. If you like the coffee state side, go to Guate for a visit, learn and enjoy the coffee culture there, go to some of the best coffee shops (while possibly seeing an active volcano erupt somewhat nearby (this can be done in Antigua)at the same time), you won't be disappointed!
I've heard as much, but I just get nervous about Central America...and traveling in general. Had a few sketchy work trips in Mexico, and I think it's just biased me towards the while region. One day maybe I'll get over it, because it'd definitely be an awesome place to add to the bucket list

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have been enjoying Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans for a few months now. Very good stuff. I usually use the french press and think it provides the best flavor and most control in the brewing process. As somebody already stated always get whole bean and grind it up to your preferred grind just before brewing. This allows you to control the flavor a freshness. I have found Daybreak in Glastonbury to have a good selection every since moving East of the river.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hated coffee most of my life. Still can’t drink it black. Recently I’ve come to like Nitro Cold Brew, especially from a local spot in town. They use Downeast Coffee Roasters for that. I tried the new Starbucks Nitro Cold Brew yesterday. Not nearly as good. Cold Brew — Downeast Coffee Roasters

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How is everyone brewing at home? I tried French Press for about a year, but it was a pain in the ass and I just a regular drip machine now. Mine is a Mr. Coffee basic model - but I've seen you can spend hundreds on more complex equipment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How is everyone brewing at home? I tried French Press for about a year, but it was a pain in the ass and I just a regular drip machine now. Mine is a Mr. Coffee basic model - but I've seen you can spend hundreds on more complex equipment.

I have a French Press. It is indeed a pain in the ass. I have trended towards just buying coffee at work, and going out in the morning on weekends. Sometimes I'll just use my Keurig or that French Press if I'm not feeling lazy.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been using the Behmor Brazen Plus for several years now and am very happy with it. The features it has that I value most are: thermal carafe instead of hot plate (so the coffee doesn't cook); temperature control (so it gets hot enough for extraction); pre-soak (to prevent blooming from fresh grounds); and timer (it takes a while to brew, like 10-15 minutes, so I set it to be done by the time I am done with my run).

Reaction Score
I have an aeropress, Chemex, and a single cup pour over. I’d say 90% of the time I end up doing the single cup pour over.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've been using the Behmor Brazen Plus for several years now and am very happy with it. The features it has that I value most are: thermal carafe instead of hot plate (so the coffee doesn't cook); temperature control (so it gets hot enough for extraction); pre-soak (to prevent blooming from fresh grounds); and timer (it takes a while to brew, like 10-15 minutes, so I set it to be done by the time I am done with my run).

That's not a terrible price point either - $160s. Currently out of stock on Amazon too, so it must be pretty popular.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That's not a terrible price point either - $160s. Currently out of stock on Amazon too, so it must be pretty popular.
Bonavita drip coffee maker with carafe, highly rated by most fussy coffee snob websites, used Bed Bath and Beyond sales/coupons to get the price down. I do have an Aeropress but was never super impressed with the final product being worthy of the labor involved.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It looks like the company has an upgraded "smart" version with more bells and whistles that I don't need and wouldn't use, for around $40 more. My local coffee shop is still selling the older version that I have for $160 (including a free pound of coffee) and they will ship to you for free:

Behmor Brazen Plus 2.0 Temp Controlled Coffeemaker

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bonavita drip coffee maker with carafe, highly rated by most fussy coffee snob websites, used Bed Bath and Beyond sales/coupons to get the price down. I do have an Aeropress but was never super impressed with the final product being worthy of the labor involved.
Yeah the Bonavita was the other one I looked at when I bought mine. IIRC it was the pre-soak feature the led me to choose the Behmor, as blooming had been an issue for me and it makes a real mess.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It looks like the company has an upgraded "smart" version with more bells and whistles that I don't need and wouldn't use, for around $40 more. My local coffee shop is still selling the older version that I have for $160 (including a free pound of coffee) and they will ship to you for free:

Behmor Brazen Plus 2.0 Temp Controlled Coffeemaker

Awesome thanks. I may just order that. I have my own grinder I use for the beans, but the added flavor is likely going to waste using my current brewer.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yeah the Bonavita was the other one I looked at when I bought mine. IIRC it was the pre-soak feature the led me to choose the Behmor, as blooming had been an issue for me and it makes a real mess.
I can turn it on and off (blooming) but every time it gets unplugged you have to reset it, I usually forget.

Reaction Score
I just ordered some Strava CBD coffee. Friend of mine owns a coffee shop and highly recommended it. Will report back after a couple tries at it.

Reaction Score
I use the Bonavita 1900TS. I got sick of having clocks and advanced settings. The Bonavita just has an on/off switch, and is easy to take apart and clean.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Bonavita is solid choice. Bonavita, Breville & Technivorm pretty much only autos that get you temps needed for good extractions. Bonavita is smaller, cheaper and arguably has a better showerhead design than others.

I have the Breville Precision for batch brew. Very good Brewer and highlights profiles I want, but doesn't fit under cabinets. Had a moccamaster for 10 years before this.

Also have many pourover devices siphons, cezves, presses/aeropresses & 2 espresso machines. Hardly use any of them these days.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Got rid of my home machine, only use Chemex for a pour over on weekends or work-at-home days, since my workplace has free drip, cold brew, and a pretty nice espresso machine.

For beans... to stay on the cheap side I go with Trader Joe's. Keep it in a canister in the freezer since I usually only grind and brew 2 days a week.

By the way, I heard somewhere that Dunkin Donuts is free trade but they don't market it.

DALTX

I don't have a hobby, I watch UConn
Reaction Score
I usually get single origin, American beans from Tweed, Noble Coyote, and Oak Cliff. Burr ground at home, poured over with a Chemex. Black. Up north, Colectivo is good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

We’re in the middle of a kitchen renovation....which means we do not have a kitchen.

No one else in the house drinks coffee so we do not have a drip coffee maker in regular use. I generally use the Keurig during the week and the AeroPress on weekends. I don’t know where either of them are right now, so I have to use the only thing I could find - a French press we got as a gift years ago and never used.

It’s a pain in the ass, but probably less of one than the AeroPress and I was really surprised how much I like the coffee it makes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom