OT: - Favorite College Campuses | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite College Campuses

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Among the Ivies, as noted, it may depend on what one thinks about urban campuses. I attended Brown and Penn. Both have nicer campuses than they used to. I recall some controversy at Penn after the administration decided to spend a few million on landscaping circa 1980, but I thought it was a good idea. I've been on all 8 Ivy campuses, some extensively, though just a quick drive-through at Dartmouth. In my opinion, Princeton is clearly the top and Yale may be second. Different strokes for different folks. I haven't been on every campus in the nation, and I know there are some beautiful ones, but I rate Berkeley and Stanford in my top 5 or so.

Reaction Score
I went to a small liberal arts college in Meadville, Pa named Allegheny College. It was a small town and the campus had a nice mixture of historic and contemporary architecture. I have not been there in nearly fifty years but my memories are pleasant. I had close friends who went to UVa and that was a beautiful campus. I watched a lacrosse championship game there , but lacrosse was still a new sport then! ;)
I was at Allegheny College from 1960-65 with a short stint [1963] working in the West Texas oil fields [Lubbock] .. at Allegheny, I spent a lot of time at Conneaut Lake, Sonny's Bar [downtown] & George's Bar [up on the hill]! haha .. after college I moved back to Queens with my Allegheny wife and had two daughters .. yes, Allegheny, a beautiful, idyllic campus anchored by Bentley Hall [1815].
Famous Allegheny alumna Ida Tarbell, THE pioneer of investigative journalism in the United States, dismantled the Standard Oil monopoly of John D Rockefeller in the early 1900s. Her 'muckraking' style inspired me to write several novels in my Gotham Chronicles series: 1) Quagmire in Queens 2) Brouhaha in Brooklyn and 3) Mayhem in Manhattan. Go Gators!

Reaction Score
Connecticut College is an academically prestigious "Little Ivy" school located along the Thames River and bounded on the west by a 750-acre arboretum and botanical garden.
Long Island Sound and the ferry, from Orient Point, is just to the south.
BEAUTIFUL!
Connecticut College.jpg

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was at Allegheny College from 1960-65 with a short stint [1963] working in the West Texas oil fields [Lubbock] .. at Allegheny, I spent a lot of time at Conneaut Lake, Sonny's Bar [downtown] & George's Bar [up on the hill]! haha .. after college I moved back to Queens with my Allegheny wife and had two daughters .. yes, Allegheny, a beautiful, idyllic campus anchored by Bentley Hall [1815].
Famous Allegheny alumna Ida Tarbell, THE pioneer of investigative journalism in the United States, dismantled the Standard Oil monopoly of John D Rockefeller in the early 1900s. Her 'muckraking' style inspired me to write several novels in my Gotham Chronicles series: 1) Quagmire in Queens 2) Brouhaha in Brooklyn and 3) Mayhem in Manhattan. Go Gators!
When I was at Allegheny, a few years behind your time, they mentioned that President William McKinley had been a student there. He attended but did not graduate from there due to health and money problems. He and I shared that money problem thing preventing us from graduating from the college. Of course, I had other things distracting me then too. But it was a good school for a liberal arts education.

Reaction Score
When I was at Allegheny, a few years behind your time, they mentioned that President William McKinley had been a student there. He attended but did not graduate from there due to health and money problems. He and I shared that money problem thing preventing us from graduating from the college. Of course, I had other things distracting me then too. But it was a good school for a liberal arts education.
Within a year of dropping out of Allegheny, McKinley joined the Union Army. Amazing that a man of his background became president of the United States! Actually, quite impossible without the mentoring of #19 Rutherford B Hayes, his commander during the Civil War, eh?
When McKinley was assassinated in 1900 or so, he was succeeded by Teddy Roosevelt.
Although McKinley was [obviously] more prominent, fellow alum Ida Tarbell was much more impactful for me.
I went to Brooklyn Technical High School, then Allegheny, then back to Queens where I raised my family. How about you? Alabama?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Within a year of dropping out of Allegheny, McKinley joined the Union Army. Amazing that a man of his background became president of the United States! Actually, quite impossible without the mentoring of #19 Rutherford B Hayes, his commander during the Civil War, eh?
When McKinley was assassinated in 1900 or so, he was succeeded by Teddy Roosevelt.
Although McKinley was [obviously] more prominent, fellow alum Ida Tarbell was much more impactful for me.
I went to Brooklyn Technical High School, then Allegheny, then back to Queens where I raised my family. How about you? Alabama?
I went back to Pittsburgh and another college. I worked in the steel industry there and moved to Alabama in 1985 for a different position in a steel mill outside of Birmingham. And Ida Tarbell was an interesting character and a fine inspiration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom