OT: - Fats has Died | The Boneyard

OT: Fats has Died

Reaction Score
At a news conference in Las Vegas in 1969, after resuming his performing career, Elvis Presley interrupted a reporter who had called him “the king.” He pointed to Mr. Domino, who was in the room, and said, “There’s the real king of rock ’n’ roll.”

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He was the inspiration for Ernest Evans’s stage name. Chubby Checker (whom I saw live at Jorgensen maybe 15 years ago and he was great, way better than Jerry Lee Lewis who was with him).

Fats was the real transition from R&B to R&R. Didn’t know he was alive until now.

Reaction Score
Having grown up in New Orleans, one “fixture” in my life and that of most of my vintage was Fats, in his person and, of course, in his music. I was sufficiently lucky as to have known him, and am blessed with many memories. Perhaps my favorite comes from one of his appearances at our annual JazzFest. Unsurprisingly, it was pouring, especially hard during Fats’ set. The crowd used the deluge, as folks in my town often do (well, any excuse, really) to party harder than even usual, dancing to Fats’ iconic music like there would be no tomorrow. Fats, onstage, was protected, but he so loved the crowd response that he “got into it” with all his heart and all his jovial personality....what a memory of an unforgettable day!

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Loved seeing Fats at the Jazz Fest. Many great memories as I once lived not far from him. He lost quite a bit of his home, piano's, awards during Katrina, but stayed the course with his talent. RIP!

Reaction Score
Some real sweet memories!! He was a key part of a beautiful period that I’m glad to have witnessed and won’t ever forget! May he Rest In Peace.

Reaction Score
As a young teenager in the 50s, our circle of friends were all into early R&B. Fats was one of our mainstays. We would go apoplectic when the likes of Pat Boone would try to steal Domino's thunder (and money) by recording songs like Ain't That a Shame.

We thought Fats would be dead by the age of 40 because of his less than healthy appearance. So glad he lived to 89. I just hope folks don't take his longevity personally and think they too can get away with carrying an extra 100 or so pounds to a long life.

Reaction Score
At a news conference in Las Vegas in 1969, after resuming his performing career, Elvis Presley interrupted a reporter who had called him “the king.” He pointed to Mr. Domino, who was in the room, and said, “There’s the real king of rock ’n’ roll.”
Others have had hits with a standard: Blue Berry Hill. But Fatsl made the definitive soul searching volume that digs deep within.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyone named "Fats" who lived to age 89 sure didn't get shortchanged. He was one of the pioneers. RIP!

Reaction Score
Anyone named "Fats" who lived to age 89 sure didn't get shortchanged. !
James Beard, whom my wife once watched eat black bread with an entire stick of butter for breakfast, made it to 83.

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.07.17 PM.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom