Fatigue | The Boneyard

Fatigue

Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about yesterdays game is Fatigue. Hurley's style of play requires alot of energy. Its a fantastic way to play but our guards probably expend double the energy than opposing teams. I think playing back to back is not ideal to this style of play. That said...I think this style of play will work very well for us the rest of the season. Opposing teams will get worn down playing against us. I wonder if we played Iowa on Thursday and had fairer refs what the result would be. 2 bogus travel calls and 1 bogus out of bounds call and 3 horrible fouls calls....shifted the game by 12 points. Add a couple more threes from fresh legs and I think we win. Gilbert and adams were short on their shots. Clearly a sign of fatigue. The good news is...we won't be playing too many back to backs this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about yesterdays game is Fatigue. Hurley's style of play requires alot of energy. Its a fantastic way to play but our guards probably expend double the energy than opposing teams. I think playing back to back is not ideal to this style of play. That said...I think this style of play will work very well for us the rest of the season. Opposing teams will get worn down playing against us. I wonder if we played Iowa on Thursday and had fairer refs what the result would be. 2 bogus travel calls and 1 bogus out of bounds call and 3 horrible fouls calls....shifted the game by 12 points. Add a couple more threes from fresh legs and I think we win. Gilbert and adams were short on their shots. Clearly a sign of fatigue. The good news is...we won't be playing too many back to backs this year.
Refs took us out of our game plan which looked to be have our guards dribble penetrate. Would have like to see how neutral refs called that game, but in the end you have adjust.

Reaction Score
I honestly think it was more mental fatigue. I really dont feel that upset about how the Iowa game turned out. Beating Syracuse the night before was probably very emotional for everyone involved. When I first saw the schedule, I was hoping for a split in the 2K Classic. It stinks how we got blown out, but I think this can be used as a learning tool. What happens on Tuesday vs Cornell and how they bounce back will tell us a lot about their mental toughness.

Reaction Score
I think Tarin and Jalen were tired physically. It takes

Rique looks like he could run forever. He was all over #3 last night on D.

It's only been a few months with a new strength coach, and the season is young. They will learn.

Reaction Score
I agree with this assessment. to win an emotionally draining game against a former Big East rival and playing the very next day would cause a bit of a letdown. the energy expended against Syracuse was unbelievable. this loss does not bother me as it will be a learning tool for the future and really how many games will be played back to back nights?

Reaction Score
I think this observation is spot on. UConn has some talent, but they need to play with high intensity and energy to beat good teams and maintaining that intensity all season is very tough. They had the energy for Syracuse, but had a short turnaround and didn't have it for Iowa.

Reaction Score
Not buying into the fatigue. The team stayed at 500/night hotel room and I can assure you it came with a plush bed and pillows. These guys are division 1 athletes and if they can't play games on back to back days then they need to hop on the bike. This is the new system, get used to it

Reaction Score
They're 20 years old. When they get tired, they take a sip of water and are ready to play another half an hour.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
In some ways, that outcome should've been one we saw coming. Iowa is good and UConn poured so much into the first game. It'll be interesting to see how they're able to bring this energy in tournament settings because it's hard to think they can go full out multiple days in a row.

That's my rational analysis.

My real analysis is that @Fishy spent Thursday night freezing to death on the Taconic and it got us a win. Meanwhile the selfish bastard decides to spend Friday with his family and you see what happens. Hate when people don't think of the bigger picture.

Reaction Score
Not buying into the fatigue. The team stayed at 500/night hotel room and I can assure you it came with a plush bed and pillows. These guys are division 1 athletes and if they can't play games on back to back days then they need to hop on the bike. This is the new system, get used to it
They also likely had a hard time getting to it after the game because of gridlock in the storm.
You can be too keyed up to sleep, too.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
There are things our guys could have done better. The fatigue factor probably had a role. But Iowa played a really smart, nearly mistake-free game, and we had tough matchups with Garza and Cook. The Hawkeyes should get most of the credit. That’s a solid team this early in the season.

Reaction Score
Fatigue, along with a natural emotional letdown were factors. The attempted threes were evidence of fatigue.

Reaction Score
Front rimming foul shots is an indicator of fatigue, and that happened several times. It was pretty obvious they did not have the energy they showed against the fruits.

Reaction Score
I agree. I felt that this was the case 5 min into game. They looked drained. I also believe they spent energy celebrating the feel good of finally getting a good win after all this time. So it all aided to the flatness! Just my opinion from what i observed

Reaction Score
Idk. Hurley didn't look fatigued. Maybe needs to share the coffee. At 18 to 23 I was playing every night going out after that plus school and work. And Cobb didn't look tired.

Reaction Score
Physical fatigue is when my old arse finishes cutting the lawn or goes shopping with my wife for 3 hours. Young men in their late teens and early 20s don't have the right to be fatigued, running up and down a court for 30 minutes. Hurley has them in shape, Cobb is exhibit A.

However Iowa spanked us, perhaps they were fatigued from the butt whipping, I would agree with that. Especially from a long, dragged out butt whipping.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Was Iowa fatigued? If not, why. They were unranked and had a significant win over a ranked opponent on Thursday. That might have had them geeked up and unable to sleep. They had the shorter turn around because they played the late game. Excuses suck and blaming fatigue and the refs are two of the weakest. Why don't we go with Iowa is a good team with plenty of size, a dynamic forward and decent guards. They out rebounded UConn by twelve and made 14 more free throws than UConn attempted. I'm excited about the direction of the UConn program under Hurley but expecting 25 wins this year is unrealistic. We are just not athletic enough. We are four games into the season and it is fairly obvious this is an under the rim team. Fatigue, meh.

Reaction Score
They weren’t fatigued. the crowd at the garden just wasn’t electric like Thursday night - half the arena was empty - so the entire vibe was different. We had less opportunity to run, given our opponent wasn’t cuse throwing up bricks, and the game became about half court fundamental basketball, where Iowa outclassed us

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You had your whole life to get ready for your first post, and this is the best you could do? Step it up...

Reaction Score
I agree with this assessment. to win an emotionally draining game against a former Big East rival and playing the very next day would cause a bit of a letdown. the energy expended against Syracuse was unbelievable. this loss does not bother me as it will be a learning tool for the future and really how many games will be played back to back nights?
We aren't as good as Iowa

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom