Fathers Day: UConn Edition | The Boneyard

Fathers Day: UConn Edition

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
surprised there wasn't a thread on this already. Anyone care to share their best father/son memories from UConn Football/The Rent? I think it's pretty cool to have Randy and Corey both on staff right now.

My dad has made it to two games at The Rent, and we won both. The first game we went to together was in 2013 against Rutgers for my fraternity's annual "dads tailgate" game. There was a group of 30 of us or so in the stadium up in the 200's in what turned out to be a great November day for football. I had been home for Thanksgiving, and so my dad and I actually had separate flight. My dad flew in that Friday night and I flew up that Saturday morning and was scheduled to land at Bradley at 11. My dad had surprised me and picked up a Pepe pizza the night before when he flew in so that we could still sit in the parking lot and tailgate,l. It was so cold outside that he could keep the pizza in the backseat of the car overnight and it would keep. Being from North Carolina, this was definitely a novelty for us! We wound up beating Rutgers that day in what was one of the few bright spots of the 2013 season.

The other game my dad came for was against UCF in 2014. He actually flew up with my mom, and some of you may remember this was the game where there was freezing rain and absurd wind gusts. Almost nobody was actually sitting in their seats, everyone was hiding underneath the overhangs watching the game, including us, standing under the overhang behind the student section. My mom was begging to leave and my dad made it all the way through, for what turned out to be the first conference loss for UCF since joining the American. I vividly remember jumping up and down and sprinting out towards the field to celebrate with my dad whenever UConn would do anything good, only to immediately seek shelter again under the overhang upon realizing just how absurd the weather was.

So there you have it. My dads experienced 2 games at the Rent, both in the last 4 seasons, and shockingly both games were wins. While my dad and I have been to numerous football games throughout the years, from my Pop Warner games to Panthers games here in Charlotte and college games all over the country, I still hold those two above all the others in my heart. The meteorites established with my dad as we took in the sights and scenes at the Rent will never be forgotten. We reminisced on this today and I made sure to thank him for making it all possible by not only allowing me to go to school out of state in Connecticut, but making the effort to embrace the school and travel up to see and experience it with me too.

What're your favorite UConn football memeories with your dad/son? I'm sure there are some really cool traditions that some of you have and I would love to hear about them. Looking forward to some of the responses, hopefully it helps ease the dog days of summer and makes us realize the days at Rentschler are right around the corner!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My dad isnt particularly in to sports or UConn... so really, it's just being able to share it with my son that's been awesome. Granted he's only two and doesn't remember the times we've dragged him to the Rent (for the best?), but he's enjoyed it... and that puts a smile on my face. Looking forward to bringing him again this year.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was a little boy when my dad took me to the opener at the Rent vs Indiana. Wasn't that the game Caulley had the absurd run where he broke ten tackles? I think it was. I'll always remember that

Reaction Score
Not football, but taking my dad to the Allen/Iverson BE Final was unbelievable, and the last hoops game I ever got him to.

As to football, my older son goes to all of the home games with me, so we have seen some great ones, and some stinkers - but he will always stay till the final bell, even sometimes when I want to give up!

Reaction Score
I remember in our group we had my brother-in-laws dad and my dad. We went to every game since the season opener until 2011. Before the season opener we brought out the Yukon Jack...hey I'm not an English Major, LOL. But in 2004 I started every tail-gate with a three peat shout of Boston College SuX. It was funny back then, when your non-regulars thought it important to correct me that we were not playing BC. Back in those days most people were still learning the ropes of tail-gating. I remember my dad sitting in his tail-gate chair, with his UConn hat and smiling-looking forward to the game with his two sons. I will always thank UConn for those treasured memories, and our coach that was with us. I remember the victories and the heart breaking defeats. But win or lose we stayed about an hour after each game reminiscing and cooking before the trek home already making plans for our next one.

My dad being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan only to turn to the dark side of the Yankees, would be smiling at coach Edsall's return. My dad and my brother in laws dad both UConn fans - tailgating has never been the same, but next year - the next generation in training will make their debut!

God Bless to all of our Dads and Dads to be, fatherhood, football, and UConn - what is more enjoyable! :D

Reaction Score
The Rent Opening Day was the only time my dad and I went to a UConn game. We were talking about UConn playing JoePa/Penn State in the future at the Rent along with the three times I took off from Rentschler Field with dad (and my mom and siblings) in Pratt's plane.

Now, my boys and I bike to see UConn play USF at RayJay.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I remember in our group we had my brother-in-laws dad and my dad. We went to every game since the season opener until 2011. Before the season opener we brought out the Yukon Jack...hey I'm not an English Major, LOL. But in 2004 I started every tail-gate with a three peat shout of Boston College SuX. It was funny back then, when your non-regulars thought it important to correct me that we were not playing BC. Back in those days most people were still learning the ropes of tail-gating. I remember my dad sitting in his tail-gate chair, with his UConn hat and smiling-looking forward to the game with his two sons. I will always thank UConn for those treasured memories, and our coach that was with us. I remember the victories and the heart breaking defeats. But win or lose we stayed about an hour after each game reminiscing and cooking before the trek home already making plans for our next one.

My dad being a Brooklyn Dodgers fan only to turn to the dark side of the Yankees, would be smiling at coach Edsall's return. My dad and my brother in laws dad both UConn fans - tailgating has never been the same, but next year - the next generation in training will make their debut!

God Bless to all of our Dads and Dads to be, fatherhood, football, and UConn - what is more enjoyable! :D
this is a really great story- thanks for sharing. I hope you're still going to games and carrying on the tradition for years to come!

Reaction Score
My Dad was always a big UConn fan ... and peculiar to the Valley, he loved Football and Marching Bands. We went to our first UConn game together in about 1967. I remember distinctly watching Erik Torkelson a few seasons later: he grew up a few towns away from me.

In 2003, my Dad had had his first stroke. And diabetes made sitting and/or not regularly eating an issue. We went to the FIRST Rentschler game against IU expecting a tough loss ... and exhilarating big win was uplifting. But the handicap accessibility issues were massive. It was the last game for him. I hope the Rent got better. (As one day I may need to park adjacent to the entrance)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom