Fast N' Loud: UCONN related | The Boneyard

Fast N' Loud: UCONN related

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
So I'm off from work this afternoon and watching Fast N' Loud, the car restorer show on the Discovery Channel. The show starts with the hosts driving to Litchfield to speak to a guy who claims to have the 1st and 2nd Firebirds ever produced. Well he has them and they need a huge amount of work to restore. The hosts think they'll be worth $1 million after restoration. The guy wants $100K for the pair but the hosts gets them for $70K which they claim is the steal of the century. When they first got there, the guy's tall and they ask him if he played basketball, and he says "Yeah, I played for the Golden State Warriors, Kentucky Wildcats, and also professionally overseas." He's wearing a Kentucky Wildcats baseball hat. I don't know what exactly motivated me to wiki him but mainly that he lives in CT and played pro ball and I wanted to see who he was. His name is Chuck Aleksinas.

It turns out everything he said was accurate, except he failed to mentione that while he started his college career at Kentucky.....he finished at UCONN (1980-1982). Why would a guy born and raised and living in CT, a UCONN grad, neglect to mention playing at UCONN and instead give the team he started at, Kentucky, all this love? If Kentucky was so great, why did he leave? I guess Alex Oriakhi will do the same when people ask him about his career......

This guy was slightly before my time (well, not really, but I don't really remember him, although the name does sound familiar), but do any of you remember him? He sure loves him some Kentucky.

Reaction Score
You mean the "Morris Mountain"? Who played for Joe B. Hall before KY went down the tubes (all because of Fed X!).

I went to UConn with Chuck and he was HUGE, biggest human I ever saw. And SLOW. I was hammered at Subway one night, getting a late night sub, and he bumped his head going out the door and I started to laugh and I asked him if the doorway was a surprise seeing as Chuck is a seven footer, and once I sobered up I was always grateful he didnt squish my head like a grape.....I owe you one Chuck, thanks for letting me live.......

Reaction Score
I would never have given up those two Firebirds for $70K unless I really needed the cash....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This guy was slightly before my time (well, not really, but I don't really remember him, although the name does sound familiar), but do any of you remember him? He sure loves him some Kentucky.

He was a stiff. Biggest guy on the court and wouldn't hit the boards. Before the draft he said he would be a good pro because he saved his knees.

Reaction Score
I talked to his wife and she told me the story about how he was on some car TV show before it aired, she explained how she found out there is nothing real about reality TV. Seems a bit wierd Chuck didn't mention UConn, he did win a National Championship at Kentucky. I never saw Chuck play at Wamago because he was before my time but my pops said it was an event watching him, the Morris Mountain is the only real player to ever come out of the Berkshire League. He also isn't the best bargainer, he should have sold those for way more than seventy grand.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
"the only real player to ever come out of the Berkshire League"

Johnny Hurlbert of Thomaston: walked on at Hartford and starred for them at point guard. Led them to win over big brother UConn - one of our more embarressing losses.

Reaction Score
Instead they lost 7 out of their last 8 despite giving that Freddie Brown G'Town team their worst loss of the season.
That was the beginning of the end for Dom Perno, which set the stage for hiring Jimmy C and the rest is, as they say, history. What a great ride! It was all worth it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That was the beginning of the end for Dom Perno, which set the stage for hiring Jimmy C and the rest is, as they say, history. What a great ride! It was all worth it.
If only. The beginning of the end was the Earl Kelley fiasco.

Reaction Score
I think I helped the Earl of Storrs flunk out, dude LOVED to party. Good guy, just liked his herb too much.

You may know my buddy then because we saw Earl at a game un Hartford last year and he gave my buddy a big hug remembering him as a guy who was there for him when called upon!;)

Reaction Score
This whole thread is deja vu all over again. I swear this exact subject was brought up before.

Yeah I wrote about the episode a few months back when I saw it originally. It was a good show to watch but I'm thinking The Mountain couldn't have been happy with the cash they made later on. I realize it was a lot of work but had he known maybe he could've had the Portland CT guy help him out and make more stash. Hindsight because after all they were trashed.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Any idea how he came into possessions of these extremely rare cars? I didn't hear anything on the episode.

Reaction Score
Any idea how he came into possessions of these extremely rare cars? I didn't hear anything on the episode.

I don't remember now but I believe they were left with the property - could be wrong though!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If only. The beginning of the end was the Earl Kelley fiasco.
That's why I say that Earl Kelley is one of my favorite Husky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
When we got Corny and McKay the missing pieces were a great PG and a center. Now the HS class had 3 All State returning guards named Rod Foster, John Bagley, and Glen Miller-whose father was a friend at Pfizer. When Chuck dec to transfer to UConn, shortly after I was asked to call Tim Tolokan at the Norwich Bulletin and meet the family at the Miller house for letter of intent signing! Glen suffered a broken hand before the first game and the next year Hobbs and Giscombe were recruited and Glenn transferred to Northeastern to play for JC.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Bagley academics but he played with McKay in HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member