OT: Fast Food veggie burger, BK Impossible Whopper | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Fast Food veggie burger, BK Impossible Whopper

Reaction Score
Soy contains toxins. East Asians figured out how to remove them, resulting in tofu and tempeh. I think tempeh is probably the tastiest healthy ingredient for a veggie burger to contain.

Reaction Score
the $20 Q: anybody get a good case of the trots from impossible?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So a little OT, and I think I’ve posted it before, but years ago some of my sons friends were over and I grilled up some burgers for them. I had forgotten that one of the boys moms was very vegetarian and that the kids were used to that.

Jimmy looks up at me and says hey “Mr. 82 which one of the burgers is the veggie burger?” I apologized and told him I forgotten that he was vegetarian and told him to give me a second and I’d grill something up for him. He was a good kid so he said “no that’s fine I’ll just have one of these.” I asked if he was sure and said it was no bother but he said yeah it’s fine.

Then he took his first bite. Look on his face was hysterical. It was like the hallelujah chorus should be playing in the background. He looks up at me and says “oh my god, this is amazing!!” and scorfed it down. I laughed and said “glad you liked it” and then really didn’t think much about it afterwards.

It was maybe a week or two later that I bumped into his mom at a game. She looks at me and says “hey CL! Thanks so much for giving my kid a burger! He completely won’t eat vegetarian anymore!“ Everyone looks back at me and I smiled and said an enthusiastic “you’re welcome Jill!“ as I kept walking to the other sideline to coach the game. The dad’s thought it was hysterical and truth be told I think even Jill thought it was kind of funny.
Hardo!;)

Reaction Score
I'm 100% convinced by the ethical and environmental arguments against meat, but I'm a weak person with regard to food, so I haven't made a huge effort to remove meat from my diet. If these kinds of things were widely available and tasted decent, I'd switch over with little hesitation.

I wonder how long it'll take to make its way to where I live.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm 100% convinced by the ethical and environmental arguments against meat, but I'm a weak person with regard to food, so I haven't made a huge effort to remove meat from my diet. If these kinds of things were widely available and tasted decent, I'd switch over with little hesitation.

We'll eventually get to equivalently healthy lab grown meat. Then you can gorge and feel better. Also, we only need to reduce beef consumption, not eliminate it. It also needs to be produced more efficiently, which can be done.

If you ate impossible burgers all the time, you'd be heading for an early death.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I tried the Impossible Burger once, and it was good as meat, but if it's high in sodium I will definitely minimize my consumption of it. Try to avoid eating at fast food places anyway when possible - nothing there is good for you.
A lot of foods that are labeled low/reduced fat actually have more sodium and/or sugar in them to try to improve flavor. Just compare Skippy reduced fat peanut butter to Regular Skippy peanut butter. The reduced fat variety is higher in both sugar and sodium. This is just one example. I've seen things like this with a number of products when comparing nutritional labels. I've also seen "high fiber" versions of products with higher sugar content than the original version of that product and the fiber is just slightly higher. Unless you read the nutritional labels, you may not be eating as healthy as you think you are.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A lot of foods that are labeled low/reduced fat actually have more sodium and/or sugar in them to try to improve flavor. Just compare Skippy reduced fat peanut butter to Regular Skippy peanut butter. The reduced fat variety is higher in both sugar and sodium. This is just one example. I've seen things like this with a number of products when comparing nutritional labels. I've also seen "high fiber" versions of products with higher sugar content than the original version of that product and the fiber is just slightly higher. Unless you read the nutritional labels, you may not be eating as healthy as you think you are.

A lot of stuff marketed as vegan is pretty much just sugar.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I tried it today.

I would say that it is better than anything you can get at a McDonalds. No idea how people eat hamburgers there.

I‘ve never had a regular Whopper, but I have had a regular hamburger at Burger King before and I‘d say this pretty much tastes like one of those.

Verdict: If you want a hamburger at Burger King, get a hamburger. If you want a hamburger at Burger King, but meat is murder, get one of these. If you want a McDonald’s hamburger, I don’t know how you can be redeemed.

Reaction Score
another long-time vegetarian weighing in here -- i have had the impossible whopper twice. it's good, but more of a fun-novelty-type-thing. personally, i still prefer veggie burgers that taste like vegetables, but if this convinces more people to eat less beef, it's probably a good thing...

for the soy skeptics -- the impossible burger is soy-based, but beyond meat is actually soy-free. it's pea protein-based. they have the sausages at dunkin' donuts now, and i imagine they will be coming to more fast food spots soon.

Reaction Score
Try Stevia.

Since I'm off sugar, for just 3 1/2 weeks, I lost 27 pounds. 247 (6'3") to 220. My weight in college when I was very thin and played rugby was 210. I did cut down on bread, and especially cereal (I always had 2 bowls a day). I'm not really doing Keto since I eat potato, rice, oatmeal, but I am laying off most wheat except pizza. No sugar, big cutdown in wheat, means the pounds are flying off me. I've also gotten very used to stevia.

so you dont eat any fruit?

Reaction Score
I haven't tried the Impossible burger but I did have the Beyond burger. I'm not eating that again. Although good, I had to make a trip to the bathroom every 2 hours. My stomach did not agree to it's contents.

What's the matter with men's health and soy? Soy sauce? Soybeans?

Reaction Score
What's the matter with men's health and soy? Soy sauce? Soybeans?

i'm no doctor, but i believe that soy has a compound in it that mimics estrogen in the body. hence alt-righters using the term "soy boy" to describe liberals that they perceive as "soft" or feminine, etc.

Reaction Score
These impossible burgers are literally made in a lab. Nothing made in a lab is healthy. It’s full of chemicals. Eat all the meat you want but reduce sugar, grains, and vegetable oils. This fake meat craze is such a scam trying to capitalize on the plant based diet craze. It will come and go

Good God, everything is "chemicals". Natural vs. artificial does not matter. You could get water from a spring or produce water in a lab by burning hydrogen and oxygen like Matt Damon in The Martian, and it's literally the exact same thing.

So no, it being made in a lab is not what makes it unhealthy. It could be loaded with salt or all sorts of other things that you could also do to a meat burger and that would make it unhealthy. But the fact that it was created in a lab does not inherently make it unhealthy.

I say this as an avid meat-eater and as a scientist.

Reaction Score

The most eye-opening thing for me was ice cream. For years I would almost exclusively eat reduced fat, but paying attention to the sugar content, it's off the charts.

The label for "added sugar" actually made a big difference. Some cereals that you previously thought of as healthy...not so much.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The most eye-opening thing for me was ice cream. For years I would almost exclusively eat reduced fat, but paying attention to the sugar content, it's off the charts.

The label for "added sugar" actually made a big difference. Some cereals that you previously thought of as healthy...not so much.

Healthy cereal in general is pretty rare in comparison to the total offerings.

Reaction Score
so you dont eat any fruit?

Occasionally I will. I eat blueberries regularly with my Greek yogurt, almonds, walnuts. Sometimes I will eat a banana. But yes, other than those two I've been off fruit. I'm mixing in more carbs these days (we went out for Indian food today) but no wheat/breads.

Reaction Score
Just saying fruit has sugar in it, its not added sugar which is great that you cut out but a lot more things have sugar even when you would think they dont.

Reaction Score
Just saying fruit has sugar in it, its not added sugar which is great that you cut out but a lot more things have sugar even when you would think they dont.

Blueberries have very little sugar. 10 berries have 10 grams. Even with a packet of Stevia (which contains erythritol) has 2g.

These are minimal levels.

Reaction Score
Well, to begin with it’s because meat isn’t bad for you. Red meat is perfectly healthy. It’s the things you eat with it that cause health problems. These impossible burgers are literally made in a lab. Nothing made in a lab is healthy. It’s full of chemicals. Eat all the meat you want but reduce sugar, grains, and vegetable oils. This fake meat craze is such a scam trying to capitalize on the plant based diet craze. It will come and go
It’s bad as hell for the cow though...

Reaction Score
Yeah been reading and watching videos today, and one thing I noticed is that it all starts in a scientific laboratory and not a kitchen (think Grandma's pies/cookies). That's concerning knowing that level of experimentation for just the meat taste similarity that goes into it. It duplicates nothing or improves nothing (again like Grandma's pies/cookies), its all new with a whole lot of stuff mixed in the 'creation'.

In other words the chefs are actually scientists. Can't think of any other food product where you have this.

I would imagine that pretty much any food product that is processed is coming from people who are more "scientist" than chef.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom