OT: Fast Food veggie burger, BK Impossible Whopper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fast Food veggie burger, BK Impossible Whopper

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Impossible Burger is actually more caloric and higher in Na than the meat Whopper. The purpose for eating it is to reduce the need for cattle and whatever problems they cause. Plus the humanity of the choice. Health wise not the best option but not really much worse than the alternative.

Bring on the insects

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is how plant based foods (i.e fake meat) can be so bad or worse than meat. Isn't it basically salad on a bun?

think about what they have to do to it...
for it to taste like a hamburger.

Reaction Score
think about what they have to do to it...
for it to taste like a hamburger.
Yeah been reading and watching videos today, and one thing I noticed is that it all starts in a scientific laboratory and not a kitchen (think Grandma's pies/cookies). That's concerning knowing that level of experimentation for just the meat taste similarity that goes into it. It duplicates nothing or improves nothing (again like Grandma's pies/cookies), its all new with a whole lot of stuff mixed in the 'creation'.

In other words the chefs are actually scientists. Can't think of any other food product where you have this.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah been reading and watching videos today, and one thing I noticed is that it all starts in a scientific laboratory and not a kitchen (think Grandma's pies/cookies). That's concerning knowing that level of experimentation for just the meat taste similarity that goes into it. It duplicates nothing or improves nothing (again like Grandma's pies/cookies), its all new with a whole lot of stuff mixed in the 'creation'.

In other words the chef's are actually scientists. Can't think of any other food product where you have this.

as someone who has had his weight bounce between 203 and 320 across two decades - there is no free ride.

Reaction Score
as someone who has had his weight bounce between 203 and 320 across two decades - there is no free ride.
I hear you. This reminds me of the sugar substitute (e.g. equal, sweet & low, etc.) debate. Started out as a better and healthier alternative to sugar, but now . . .

Anything artificial is always suspect, especially when it comes to food.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hear you. This reminds me of the sugar substitute (e.g. equal, sweet & low, etc.) debate. Started out as a better and healthier alternative to sugar, but now . . .

yep and it turns out it might break your brain - where the sweetness with no calories makes you eat more

Reaction Score
Vegetarian for 2 (cheese is hard), ordered an impossible burger from Marketplace in Newtown a couple months ago and had to call them back out because I thought they messed it up. It was that good.

Beyond burgers are also very good but it’s clear you’re eating a vegan meal when you have it. Their “sausage” on the other hand I would bet I could serve to my meat eating friends and they’d have no clue.

Cheese is definitely hard. For as good as vegan meat is now, vegan cheese is still so far behind.

I still have to try the beyond sausage, for some reason I haven’t done it yet. Might go out and find some tomorrow!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Beyond Meat products are great, but not healthy alternatives and I believe they're all soy free. They're processed but they aren't nearly as bad as the meat you buy in the grocery store. If you want a healthy vegan burger option you're better off making your own. The best vegan burgers I've had have come from places that make their own.

Reaction Score
As you stated it's better if you have been a smoker and want to stop smoking cigarettes. Horribly addictive and highly desirable for kids. So they are creating a huge health problem. And anyone vaping a JUUL should do so with caution. Switch the other varieties until JUUL is completely vetted.
You know what's horrible and highly addictive to kids, cigarettes...What the gov't is currently doing is creating a massive health crisis. E cigs are by far the greatest thing ever created for getting people to quit smoking, you know what got these many millions of smokers to quit smoking, flavored vaping. States all over the country are banning flavors and the federal gov't is talking about banning flavored vaping, over 90% of adults flavor vape (gov't is not banning tobacco flavor vaping, I know makes a ton of sense.) So the gov't is telling people who have used these flavors to quit a habit that kills something like 500,000 Americans a year that they should go back to that deadly habit or go to the black market. Same thing for kids, they are being pushed to the black market or to cigarettes...

This isn't about health, it's why they are conflating things to confuse people...these people who have gotten sick and died from buying pre filled THC pods and people who vape flavored e juice have absolutely nothing to do with each other. This hysteria gave them the opening to flat out ban what has made smokers quit. They know people aren't getting sick from vaping nicotine, it's from idiots buying pre filled THC pods from drug dealers filled with hydrogen cyanide and all sorts of other deadly chemicals...

This is all about big tobacco and the gov't controlling everything. Philip Morris came out with a horrible product called IQOS which is basically just as bad for you as smoking cigarettes and surprise surprise the FDA cleared it right away. The gov't and big tobacco have been losing tons of money to vaping, this is all about crushing the little guy and nothing to do with health. It's disgusting what's going on....

I'm not worried about myself, I'll always find a way to get my flavors but this is going to crush people and create a major crisis. We know how well we do with Prohibition in this country.

I do agree that JUUL is horrible, I've never used it but from everything I've heard it absolutely sucks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I don't understand is how plant based foods (i.e fake meat) can be so bad or worse than meat. Isn't it basically salad on a bun?
I don't know what's in it and was talking a bit out of my arse, I read that the Burger King variation is just as bad for you as a regular whopper but you should look more into it yourself, the article I read didn't even give any details. I'm sure some variations are fairly good for you or at least better for you than a fast food burger but if I had to guess the version Burger King uses isn't good for you because nothing at BK is good for you.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Beyond Meat products are great, but not healthy alternatives and I believe they're all soy free. They're processed but they aren't nearly as bad as the meat you buy in the grocery store. If you want a healthy vegan burger option you're better off making your own. The best vegan burgers I've had have come from places that make their own.

As far as vegan options go, I love me some black bean burgers. Add on some avocado and hot sauce and I’ll eat that all day.

Reaction Score

Well, to begin with it’s because meat isn’t bad for you. Red meat is perfectly healthy. It’s the things you eat with it that cause health problems. These impossible burgers are literally made in a lab. Nothing made in a lab is healthy. It’s full of chemicals. Eat all the meat you want but reduce sugar, grains, and vegetable oils. This fake meat craze is such a scam trying to capitalize on the plant based diet craze. It will come and go

Reaction Score
320? I saw a picture of you and you didn't look like someone who used to weigh 320.

Reaction Score
The same reason turkey bacon is worse for you than regular bacon, the amount of additives required to make it taste like bacon or in this case a whopper negate any health benefits.

Reaction Score
Well, to begin with it’s because meat isn’t bad for you. Red meat is perfectly healthy. It’s the things you eat with it that cause health problems. These impossible burgers are literally made in a lab. Nothing made in a lab is healthy. It’s full of chemicals. Eat all the meat you want but reduce sugar, grains, and vegetable oils. This fake meat craze is such a scam trying to capitalize on the plant based diet craze. It will come and go
People were conditioned to get it in their head that meat is a killer. It's not, if you have a family history of heart disease don't eat it all the time but overall red meat is good for you and chicken and turkey are very good for you.

I understand people who go vergeterian or vegan because they're morally opposed to the treatment and killing of animals but I've never understood people who do it for strictly health reasons. Lean animal proteins are good for you.

Reaction Score

Try Stevia.

Since I'm off sugar, for just 3 1/2 weeks, I lost 27 pounds. 247 (6'3") to 220. My weight in college when I was very thin and played rugby was 210. I did cut down on bread, and especially cereal (I always had 2 bowls a day). I'm not really doing Keto since I eat potato, rice, oatmeal, but I am laying off most wheat except pizza. No sugar, big cutdown in wheat, means the pounds are flying off me. I've also gotten very used to stevia.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While some people feel not eating meat is healthier, I think it is really dependent on your body. I feel great when I eat good quality meat like grass fed beef and organic chicken. I feel awful without meat in my diet, I’ve tried it. I suspect that meat is good for my body. I am sure others feel better without it.

I'm not sure my body can survive without meat. And I love veggies, and eat lots of them.

But I'd either waste away as a vegetarian, or have to eat so much so often it would make my life hell.

Reaction Score

I figured this thread is a good place to share this. Here is a video comparing vegan vs carnivore diet. Both have their pros and cons, and although this is clearly anecdotal, I found this video very informative

Reaction Score
As for the Impossible, I liked enough to eat it and order it those rare times I go to a fast food place. It was not as good as a whopper, but it was 75% there.

As for the health or politics of red meat, I was sympathetic to the ethics of animal treatment but not aligned philosophically (animals eat animals), nor was I concerned with my health, but when you see swaths of the amazon being cleared for ranchers affiliated with our fast food chains, you may want to begin making some choices.

Reaction Score
People were conditioned to get it in their head that meat is a killer. It's not, if you have a family history of heart disease don't eat it all the time but overall red meat is good for you and chicken and turkey are very good for you.

I understand people who go vergeterian or vegan because they're morally opposed to the treatment and killing of animals but I've never understood people who do it for strictly health reasons. Lean animal proteins are good for you.

My thoughts exactly. Meat is the furthest thing from the problem health-wise. It's one of the most natural things you can consume. I also completely understand vegetarians/vegans who do it for the animals but those who do it for health reasons have it all wrong. Foods that cause the most health problems come from plants (sugar, vegetable oil, grains). The best diet you can have is one containing almost exclusively meat, veggies, and some fruit. My diet is about 75% meat with some veggies/fruits mixed in. I'll admit I eat a little more sweets than I should but my health markers are all perfect.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Damn, you hit 320 at some point whaler? Last photo you looked relatively svelt. What did you mainline pizza for a year?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Does depend on what type you are eating. If you are crushing super fatty cornfed red meat (which tastes so damn good) all the time, it's not that good for you.

Also gotta avoid the hormone heavy stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom