OT: - Farewell, Larry McMurtry | The Boneyard

OT: Farewell, Larry McMurtry

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

I first met him in the early 1970s when I was an antiquarian bookman in Baltimore. Larry had just opened the first iteration of his own antiquarian/rare book establishment, "Booked Up", in the D.C. area. He would stop in once a month or so, usually accompanied by (name withheld to protect...),
an uncommonly bright and, to use a term from a McMurtry novel, fetching young lady.

He was already a well known writer, but as down-home and genuine as could be. He did what every good antiquarian bookman does-found all my pricing mistakes, brought piles of them to the cash register, and winked conspiratorially when requesting his "to the trade" discount. Gentleman that he was, he invited me to come to his shop to return the favor.

I've never thought of him as a celebrity, though that he surely was. Rather, to me he was a highly intelligent, affable, and humble man.

Farewell, Larry.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Ol Larry wrote some of my favorite novels, some mediocre ones, and a few that were very bad. All in all, one of my favorite writers and favorite Texans. R I P.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I first met him in the early 1970s when I was an antiquarian bookman in Baltimore. Larry had just opened the first iteration of his own antiquarian/rare book establishment, "Booked Up", in the D.C. area. He would stop in once a month or so, usually accompanied by (name withheld to protect...),
an uncommonly bright and, to use a term from a McMurtry novel, fetching young lady.

He was already a well known writer, but as down-home and genuine as could be. He did what every good antiquarian bookman does-found all my pricing mistakes, brought piles of them to the cash register, and winked conspiratorially when requesting his "to the trade" discount. Gentleman that he was, he invited me to come to his shop to return the favor.

I've never thought of him as a celebrity, though that he surely was. Rather, to me he was a highly intelligent, affable, and humble man.

Farewell, Larry.
Interesting guy, had a diverse group of friends, and always a great love of stories and books. He went to the same state school as Mean Joe Green. His storytelling translated well to the big screen in some wildly popular series and films. RIP

Reaction Score
It's not often that the book and the movie are equally good. Usually it's the movie that disappoints, but not always. "Of Human Bondage" and "Valley of the Dolls" were movies I liked better than the book. "The Last Picture Show" though was really good in both forms. I still watch clips on YouTube.

Reaction Score
Interesting guy, had a diverse group of friends, and always a great love of stories and books. He went to the same state school as Mean Joe Green. His storytelling translated well to the big screen in some wildly popular series and films. RIP

Larry’s son makes some interesting music- if you haven’t listened to the lyrics of James
McMurtry give it a try sometime. Not sure he shared his Dad’s views on a lot of things, but he wrote some unique songs, and if you listen to “Choctaw Bingo” you will understand.

Reaction Score
It's not often that the book and the movie are equally good. Usually it's the movie that disappoints, but not always. "Of Human Bondage" and "Valley of the Dolls" were movies I liked better than the book. "The Last Picture Show" though was really good in both forms. I still watch clips on YouTube.
Great point. I think that "Sometimes a Great Notion" was the nearly perfect rendering of a book into a movie. Rarely happens; an unforgettable story. The scene where one brother tries to save the other as the river rises is beyond belief. RIP.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom