Fanta - “My essay on the 40th Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden” | The Boneyard

Fanta - “My essay on the 40th Big East Tournament at Madison Square Garden”

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Winning the 2011 BET was seen by many as more impressive than the 6 games to follow that won the national championship
If you had to give up one, which would it be?

Impressive and important are not the same thing

Reaction Score
Love it but “more important than the national tournament” is a bad case of hyperbole

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reaction Score
Winning the 2011 BET was seen by many as more impressive than the 6 games to follow that won the national championship
In the 1996 season they won BET tournament but flamed out in the Sweet 16 to Miss St. what would you rather have 1) no BET champioship but a Final Four (no championship) or 2) Sweet 16 and a BET championship?

Reaction Score

I mean idk. The 6 games in 6 nights against 5 ranks opponents and the moments it produced(ie kemba’s step back against Pitt) are much more remembered than anything that happened in the tournament. I think that BET will be remembered far longer than the actual championship.

Ask anybody younger than 25(outside of the UConn fanbase) what they remember about UConn that season and I don’t think you get one memory about the actual NCAA tournament that year. That BET run was nothing short of legendary.

Reaction Score
I mean idk. The 6 games in 6 nights against 5 ranks opponents and the moments it produced(ie kemba’s step back against Pitt) are much more remembered than anything that happened in the tournament. I think that BET will be remembered far longer than the actual championship.

Ask anybody younger than 25(outside of the UConn fanbase) what they remember about UConn that season and I don’t think you get one memory about the actual NCAA tournament that year. That BET run was nothing short of legendary.
You don't know if you would give up a national championship or a Big East championship if you had to give up one?

Reaction Score
You don't know if you would give up a national championship or a Big East championship if you had to give up one?
Its an impossible question to answer. There probably isn’t a NC without that BET run. Also we’re talking “importance”. My point is that BET was much more memorable than anything that happened after to most non UConn fans.

I mean we played the most forgettable NC game in recent memory.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It was 5 games in 5 days, 4 ranked

Reaction Score
Love it but “more important than the national tournament” is a bad case of hyperbole
No, not more important. But it is more something. Playing at the same venue, MSG, every March, beating your conference mates, the same setting and atmosphere, every year, NYC, the tradition. Each team has a much more realistic chance to win the BET than to make the Final 4. Very few Big East Players will make the Final 4, but every one of them has a chance to win the BET. That's something to fight for.

Reaction Score
In the 1996 season they won BET tournament but flamed out in the Sweet 16 to Miss St. what would you rather have 1) no BET champioship but a Final Four (no championship) or 2) Sweet 16 and a BET championship?
dont really care about final fours if you dont win the whole thing. it's just more painful to lose at that point, e.g. 2009.

if we traded a BET for a FF then Gtown would be 2 ahead of us instead of 1 (8 versus 7) altho i guarantee we win 2 more before they win another.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
fanta is a great sellsman. this league needs a dozen more like him!

cooley is a great big east booster also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom